It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 06:44 AM   #1
(female)

shabbyanne HB User
fibro and mononucleosis

I've come down with Mono. This weekend makes 4 weeks of fatigue, weakness, horrible sore throat, low grade fever off and on. Like fibro isn't hard enough to deal with!! I run an in-home daycare. I don't think I can continue to keep the kids, which breaks my heart. Has anybody else had mono on top of their fibro , and how long did it last? I've read up to 6 months. That's depressing. Yesterday I just sat in my recliner with tears running down my face because I didn't have the strength to hold up a pencil and do the crossword. And I'm not someone who sits around feeling sorry for myself. I've accepted the fibro and gone on with my life. But this has just beaten me down and is taking away the one job I loved and could manage, keeping children.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2007, 07:22 AM   #2
(female)

FANNtasy3 HB User
Re: fibro and mononucleosis

Oh anne, I feel for you dear. I think you are the first person I myself have heard being diagnosed with fibro then contracting mono some time after the fact. In my experience, most fibro sufferers already have had mono, and a good number of those have been diagnosed with chronic fatigue as well. Some CFS sufferers test positive for mono with some still having active mono for years. I know my ebv shows high in my titer, but shows past illness not active.
Unfortunately right now you need to take care of your health. You dont want to get the kiddys sick either. Just rest and treat your ills. You will feel better and remember that no matter what happens, you will always manage. Get out side and sit just to get a little sunshine and fresh air. That always helps me a bit.
Feel Better, Felicia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2007, 07:37 AM   #3
(female)

Piano-Girl HB User

I haven't been formally diagnosed with Fibro but I have had Mono and I will say that since.. my health hasn't been the same. I had it in college and kept working..going to school and messed up my health big time! I ended up in the hospital very sick...so all this is to say, take GOOD CARE OF YOURSELF and listen to your body!! I think they put folks on anti-virals now but not sure about that.... It's okay to feel sorry for yourself! I wish I could make it better for you, just hang in there and take it one day at a time.
Hugs

Old 03-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
(female)

shabbyanne HB User

Thanks, girls, for the words of inspiration. I know I'm not good to anyone if I don't take care of myself. I'm lucky in that I don't have to work for us to make ends meet. I can't imagine if I had no choice. It's just hard to give it up. I'm only 40, but feel like I'm retirement age. I'm just so utterly exhausted. Thanks again! Anne

Old 03-06-2007, 06:27 AM   #5
(female)

cmsaint HB User

I had mono in 8th grade and I haven't felt the same SINCE! I hope you feel better soon!! When I had it I slept like 20 hours a day and the other 4 were sprnt trying to force food and drinks down without getting sick. The went on for 4 weeks and daily trips to the Dr. I almost had my spleen removed because it was so swollen.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Hi. Go to your doc and have a blood test done for Epstien Barr Virus. It's a virus that all of us have usually contracted from a childhood illness like mumps. It remains inactive UNTIL something like an infection triggers it. I got E-Coli a couple years back and then my doc did an EBV test on me only to find out that my EBV antibodies are now active. They will remain active for ever now. EBV triggers MONO. It is the most common "friendly virus" that is the cause of MONO. Use the .Net to check out EBV. They used to believe that EBV also causes CFIDS, but don't so much now, but I DO, because shortly after my EBV became active, I developed CFIDS. EBV is also thought to cause various forms of Lymphoma.

I would recommend you use your tools and read about EBV then see if your doc will do an EBV blood test on you to check if those little buggers are activated. EBV is passed through Salivia.....MONO. Make sense?

Ain't it fun? Just kidding, I know Fibro has changed my life entirely and I HATE it! But as someone said here, if I could make a deal and have the next 20 years be "normal" I would do anything. I'm 48 now so that's a normal life til I'm 68 which is perfect because the longest any one in my family has lived is to the age of 62, so hopefully I'll be gone by then and I will have lived virtually pain free til I'm "over there". LOL I'll take it, just tell me what I have to do!

Love to you all,
tk

Old 03-12-2007, 04:58 AM   #7
(female)

Proud2BMe HB User

Had Mono at age 15, right before I turned 16, I was still trying to get past it when 5 months later I was "lucky" enough to get Chickenpox. It was about that same time that I started to really feel the symptoms of the FMS. I still feel like I have mono, at least 4 days out of the week. One or two days I feel like I am getting over the flu, and about once a week I actually feel almost normal. This is usually on Saturday, or the one day that I can sit around and only do what I want to do, not over doing anything. Truly it varies each week, as my work schedule varies as well.

Hoping things get better for you soon. I am only 33, but feel 63 most days. And when I gt up after having sat for too long, I look about 63....lol

J

Old 03-12-2007, 06:00 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

It may not be much comfort to tell you this at this time, given how you feel, but I too had mono when I was in my early 40's. My doctor was treating 2 cases--me and a three year old!

My throat was so swollen it seemed as if I couldn't swollow . Dr put me on prednisone for 10 days. I experienced an infection on my thumb (hangnail?) that wouldn't heal due to the prednisone. I also experienced exhaustion from the very beginning--Dr. thought I could go back to work after 2 weeks, but this didn't happen. Health care people and others wtih hx of mono seemed to think I'd be back to normal in 2-4 weeks. I was off of work for about 2 months and very tired for 2 more years. Had respiratory problems during that time which I attribute to the prednisone.

Good news is, I did eventually recover and haven't had problems related to mono (or should I say prednisone) since...take it easy and remember--you're not like everyone else and you may not respond like everyone else. Be gentle with yourself...you will heal. It just takes time.

Bethsheba

Old 03-16-2007, 06:12 AM   #9
(female)

shabbyanne HB User

Thanks for all the support girls. This is just so very frustrating. I'm going on week 7 and am still so weak. Yesterday I went outside and sprayed off my patio and took a shower. The rest of the time I was on the couch. I did get in my car once and headed to town because I just couldn't take sitting around anymore. I got halfway there (5 miles) and realized I was too weak to even be driving and wouldn't be able to shop anyway, so I turned around and came home. Crazy! And if one more person says "Well how do you think you got mono?" I'm going to scream. People are so ignorant, they still think it's the "kissing disease" and they want to know who I've been kissing!! I've been happily married for 22 years. I live in a small town, so no telling what the rumor mill has going around. Like I don't have enough to stress out about!

Old 03-16-2007, 04:45 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi if you haven't already been put on an anitviral do your self a favor and ask to be put on one...

It will help put it back into remission mode...My doc has me on 2,000 of Valtrex.

Darn stuff!

Good Luck to you...

Old 03-17-2007, 07:50 AM   #11
(female)

shabbyanne HB User

Do you have mono right now? I hate asking my doc for things. They don't usually take it well when you tell them what you want. I had a small nervous breakdown yesterday. Couldn't stop sobbing. I just so weak and feel so worthless. I called my doc because I was scared and she said maybe I should just go to the mental hospital. Is that really necessary? My son went there last year, and all they did was drug him up with ativan, made him lay on a mat in the hallway because they were so overpacked, then sent him home the next day. He'd slit his wrists by the way. I just don't see how that would help my nerves. So I had to ask her for something just to calm me down for a few days, till maybe I could get myself under control. So she called in 6 klonopin reluctantly. I've never asked for anything like that before, so it made me feel like a drug addict begging for a fix.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:10 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi sorry to hear about your Son...life can be tough sometimes...

Epstein Barr is Mono...so yes guess you can say I have Mono...

BUT being on the Valtrex has really really helped me...he put me on 6 months for it...

I have been battling Lyme disease for about 20 or so years...and it got alot of things acctivated in my body...

I have learned that doctors are paid by me and insurance...if they can't take suggestions to what I feel I need...then there are others out there...Too many years dealing with them...their not gods and if it had'nt been for them I wouldn't have gotten so bad...

I do wish you Luck!

Old 03-17-2007, 09:10 AM   #13
(female)

shabbyanne HB User

You know, that really interests me. The other night on Discovery Health channel was a woman who was illl for many years with a lot of same symptoms as me. Doctors finally decided she had suffered from Lyme for many years and put her on 4 months of intravenous antibiotics. Says it cured her. I've been ill since a small child, with no diagnosis. Lots of thoughts, depending on which doctor I go to. Fibro, lupus, etc. Who would diagnose Lyme disease? an immunologist? I spent every summer as a child in Minnesota visiting relatives and know there's a high rate of lyme there. Would at least like to rule it out.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:32 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was going to suggest maybe you have Lyme...

Have you posted on the lyme board? What are your symptoms?

Why don't you post a new thread on the lyme board and ask for a Lyme Literate Medical Doctor near you....the testing for lyme is not good..I only had bands show which is NOT proof enough for a G.P. to go on. And if they do they don't treat long enough nor high enough antibiotics to kill the bacterias...

I had bands show and no one would treat me. I knew when I got bit too. It wasn't until I had a year or so of IV antibiotics that I showed a SLIGHT positive...

But do know that there aren't many LLMD's around...they are worth seeing cause they from what I have read go on clinically evaluation if the test do not come out positive...

Lots of knowledg on the lyme board...check it out!

Hope you find answers soon!

Closed Thread