It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2007, 12:34 PM   #1
(male)

yesman23 HB User
Mononucleosis/Alcohol

As rob1985 asked in his thread I am just curious as to the effects of drinking alcohol and mono. My rommate thinks he may have mono but has very vauge symptoms. He will likely consume alcohol tonight, and if he does in fact have mono will the possible effects be present tonight? Would they be long term? Because of the vaugeness and early stageness of his symptoms would it not have an effect at all? What in general are possible outcomes of consuming alcohol while infected with mononucleosis?

Old 04-28-2007, 12:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User
Re: Mononucleosis/Alcohol

I don't think there is any dramatic side effects regarding drinking alcohol when you have MONO. I consummed alcohol when I had MONO quite bad and I had no side effects apart from being extremely tried (more so than usual).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
(male)

yesman23 HB User

Ok, so speaking from experience you had a case of MONO, knowingly had MONO and still consumed alcohol? How regularly did you consume? If he does have MONO then likely I am going to have MONO soon as well because we both have bad habbits of drinking out of the milk cartons. So what you're saying is to the best of your knowledge becoming intoxicated a couple of nights when you have MONO isn't going to have any negative resuluts except for maybe making you a little more tired?

Old 04-28-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

No I didn't know I had MONO at the time. I found out just over one week later. I was at a party so I had a few drinks but I dont consume alcohol regularly (only 2/3 times a year). No alcohol didn't have any bad effects for me apart from being extremely tired. MONO doesn't make you a little tired - it makes you practically comatose tired when its got a hold of you properly.

MONO can cause a enlarged spleen and Liver. The Liver being enlarged is rare with MONO - but if this did happen and someone consummed alcohol daily or large quantities several times a week then there is a very very small chance it may effect the Liver.

You can only get MONO if you come into contact with a infected persons saliva. This can be from kissing, sneezing or coughing upon you or buy sharing the same drinking/eating utensils. If this does happen then MONO will infect you within 5-7 weeks of coming into contact with a infected person. However if you have already had MONO as a child (the majority of people do) then MONO will not infect you again because your immune against it.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I'm serious, if the guy was really truly sick with mono, he wouldn't want to be drinking alcohol!

If he's well enough to be drinking then he's probably not sick with mono. He probably just has a cold or something!

Old 04-29-2007, 03:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

I guess it really depends on how recenty he contracted or how long he's had Mono for. But very true about drinking. Lucky thing in my case was that party was at my house (only family and 2 friends) and I was sitting in the chair biggest part of the night nodding off lol. But tell your friend to get checked ok? Best to be safe anyway and remember dont believe everything you read on the internet. There is a lot of false information on here so always seek a medical opinion if in doubt.

Closed Thread