It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 02:42 PM   #1
(female)

sanwan HB Usersanwan HB User
Question- Lymphoma/Mononucleosis Connection

Just wondering how many of you at one time in your life had mononucleosis and many years later have had a dx: of lymphoma/hodgkins? This has happened to quite a few people that I know including my sister. I still have enlarged nodes from the mono and have several immune problems as a result of high fever 105 for 28 days and 6 week in hospital.

Nana

The Following User Says Thank You to sanwan For This Useful Post:
alanababy (11-29-2010)
Old 09-26-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
(female)

Sandpuff HB User
Re: Question- Lymphoma/Mononucleosis Connection

I've been wondering the same thing. I had mono first when I was 11 years old and then again when I was 19. I also had a terrible viral illness when I was 21 with a fever over 105. I lost 15 pounds in 2 weeks. I haven't been diagnosed with lymphoma but have a bunch of swollen lymph nodes, and am wondering if lymphoma is a possibility.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer78 HB User

I think there's a connection, too, although I was never clinically diagnosed with mono, I had a bad viral infection that lasted almost a year, which was about 3 years ago. I'm not sure, but I think it was the Epstein Barr virus. I was doing a lot of traveling, and just "pushed" through it....what a mistake, huh? When I was little, I was plagued with swollen glands...actually, all my life.
I also have done a little research, and think that mold might pose a problem, too.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
(female)

Hi Ladies,

I believe that Epstein Barr and Mono are the same virus. I was also ill for a year and even after 2 bone marrow tests sent to The Air Force Hosp in Texas or California and one sent to John Hopkins I was first diagnosed with Reticular Cell Sarcoma. It was like 2 months later that the blood work was positive for Epstein Barr/mono. This happppened about 35 years ago but it left me with many immune problems and chronic hives. My sister had it about 3 years later and has now been going through chemo for hodkins.It just seems strange that I also know several people that had mono and now have lymphoma.That is why I am asking the question?

You are such an amazing group of strong and loving human beings. I keep you all in my prayers .Now I just would like to see a message from Fairylight's telling us she doing well again.

Nana

Old 09-27-2007, 03:12 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

pinkmada HB User

Hi sanwan. The Epstein Barr Virus (also called Human Herpesvirus 4) is mono/glandular fever. And almost everybody (70-80% of the population) get it when they are a baby/child. They believe that there is a link between EBV and Hodgkins and Burkitts Lymphoma (NHL). The EBV attaches itself to certain DNA strands , permanently changing them which they believe increases the chance of the mutation.

x

Old 09-27-2007, 06:47 AM   #6
(female)

Thank you. Question answered.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

pinkmada HB User

You're welcome. Hope it helped. I caught it when i was 14/15 and 6 years later i have HL. I guess i was quite late in catching EBV.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:04 AM   #8
(female)

My sister and I were both in our early 40's. So it seems yo can get it at any age.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:08 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

pinkmada HB User

Do you and your sister both have lymphoma? My oncologist did say to me that it's not heireditry but there is an increased risk of a sibling getting it. They think this is more environmental factors not genetic ones. I freaked out for a while thinking my wee bro or sis might get it cause we all got glandular fever at the same time. My brother was 10 and my sister was 6.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:36 AM   #10
(female)

I do not have it. Still have some enlarged lymph nodes that never did go down.But I have several other immune problems and many allergies that only started while in the hospital with the mono and high fevers that have never gone away. Chronic hives for years. My sister is 5 years older than I am and was just diagnosed with hodgkins last December. Although she was not feeling well for 2 or 3 years. Tired, spleen was enlarged,back pain, no enlarged nodes. Blood work was always normal.Lots of stuff her Dr's figured due to her age. 75yrs. She is now coming along well but has to get scans every 6 months. Chemo is tough no matter what your age and most of you on this forum are so young but helping each other get through the rough times, comforting each other and passing along hope and love. I am sure that evey race and religion is represented here and how wonderful it would be if the world worked as this forum does.

Don't worry about your siblings. I would guess that the Epstein Barr Virus causes lasting problems for some but not others. maybe like having chicken pox as a child and then shingles later in life.

Hugs and prayers to all.

Nana (to 5 and greatnana to 1)

Old 09-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

pinkmada HB User

Thank you so much. That was lovely. I couldn't have coped the way i did if it hadn't been for this forum! having everyone to talk to about it, even the stupid stuff about your hair that no-one else could possibly know how your feeling or what to say to you about it. everyone on here is great!

xxx

Closed Thread