It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
(female)

BJ56 HB User
Mono

My son had a very severe case of mono last august., he ended up in the ICU. he did get to finish his first year at college but last month was tested again & it was positive,he was put on predisone again. Things were better for couple weeks but now the throat & glands are swollen again so mono still in his body. How do we treat & get this out of his body for good?? At this point college may have to be put on hold this time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: Mono

Hmmmm, mono is usually only treated with prednisone when it is severe (and it sounds like your son was indeed quite severe), but to get mononucleosis again is very unusual. Have they tested your son for HIV? Has he been on any chemotherapy or any other agents (other than steroids) that have the potential to suppress his immune system? Does he have any health problem which may cause impairment of his immune system such as a previous transplant?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: Mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ56 View Post
My son had a very severe case of mono last august., he ended up in the ICU. he did get to finish his first year at college but last month was tested again & it was positive,he was put on predisone again. Things were better for couple weeks but now the throat & glands are swollen again so mono still in his body. How do we treat & get this out of his body for good?? At this point college may have to be put on hold this time.
The other thing I'm not quite sure about: when you said your son was "tested again", was it because he was having symptoms? The reason I ask is because, mononucleosis is USUALLY (but not always) caused by the Epstein-Barr virus. Depending on which test, certain ones will remain positive for life after one has been exposed.

There is a test for something called "heterophilic antibodies" which are associated with acute infection, though usually once someone has the mononucleosis syndrome, they don't have it again even though the virus will remain dormant in the body for life.

So I guess my question is, did they restart him on prednisone because of something ELSE that was going on? If they were just basing it off of bloodwork for EBV, that is very unusual.

Closed Thread