It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
(female)

chirstine93 HB User
A strange case of mono

Hi everyone! I was hoping that someone could give me feedback on my mono case. Heres whats been going on:

Im a freshman at college this year and arrived on campus feeling fine 3.5 weeks ago. Two weeks ago I had a fever for a night and tried to sleep it off. It basically worked because in the morning I was feeling better and thought it was over and done with. About 2 days later I started to get a sore throat. That lasted for 2 days and I lost my voice and such. BUt then I started to get better and I actually felt fine for about a day before a dry cough set in. The cough was bad for about two days but then started to improve. I happened to have to go in for a sports physical just as my cough was starting to improve. I was hoping that maybe they could help speed up the process so since I was already there I told them about what had happened (although I never in a million years would I have gone in for just the cough). I was shocked when the doctor said she wanted to have me tested for mono before I could practice. I wasnt feeling tired or anything, just like I had an average cold. Anyhow, since then I have completely recovered. I have been feeling healthy for about a week now and was expecting to be cleared for practice today. Instead I got a phone call saying that I tested POSITIVE for mono! I was shocked. I feel perfectly fine and havent been the least bit tired or fatigued. Could I already be in the recovery stage? I cant imagine that I could have got this before school but I know exactly how I could have got it here (sharing drinks, not sleeping, kissing, ect... on a campus with a mono outbreak). So if thats the case the I was first exposed about 3 weeks ago. Felt it two weeks ago. Tested positive for it from a test from a week ago, which is when I started to feel healthy again. Or could this be the first wave of sickness since it seems like I shouldnt even be feeling anything this early into it? Any feedback would be wonderful.
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2008, 06:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
Re: A strange case of mono

chirstine93, some people have very different symptoms of mono. I have a girlfriend who's daughter got this and she had hardly any symptoms, just an occasional stomach ache, she was a carrier though, so she was giving it to others. So stay on top of it till your test come back good. Diana

Old 09-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: A strange case of mono

Hi there C93,

Mononucleosis is simply a syndrome which is normally caused by the Epstein-Barr virus, though which can be caused by other viruses (and some bacteria) as well. The symptoms can range from person to person, but the classic symptoms are fatigue, fevers and a sore throat. Other organs can become involved too including the spleen and liver. Testing for mono has two parts to it:

#1. First you test to see if you actually have mono with a "heterophile antibody test" more well known as the "Monospot". Monospot positive means you are either sick with mono currently, or you are recovering from a bout of mono which happened in the last three months. If you've had mono, recovered and it's been MORE than about three months, the monospot should be negative.

#2. Secondly, the doctors will try to test for evidence of infection with one of the more common viruses that cause this condition. The most common is Epstein-Barr virus; however, it should be noted that MANY MANY healthy individuals have been exposed to the EB virus, and are totally healthy and asymptomatic.

In your case, because of the sore throat and fevers AND the fact that you were going for a sports physical, the reason they wanted to make sure it wasn't mono was because, mono can cause the spleen to enlarge, and in sports, the constant jostling of things like getting body checked (or even just running) can cause the spleen to rupture which can be life-threatening.

You were one of the lucky ones who didn't have too much fatigue, but it sounds like you did indeed have mono, and have likely had it within the last 3 months. If you are on your way to recovery that's great, and you should not ever get this again.

Closed Thread