It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
(male)

sporque HB User
Mononucleosis at 6 months

Details:
Male, 30yo
-Recovery from mono (EBV)

I'll give you the short version on my experience with mono to save on time.
I'll save you the detail of how horrible of an experience this has been.
Anyway, was feeling out of sorts for the first 3 weeks of November, I finally went from being feverish/tired to flat out sick, I mean really sick.
This prompted me to the ER which then led me to a 3 day hospital stay where I got my mono diagnosis. As it went, I started to feel slightly better a few days after getting out of the hospital..I actually felt ok, except being a little tired for 2 weeks, and then I relapsed hard and became just as sick as I was before, if not more.
This relapse lasted around 2 weeks and slowly subsided around the beginning of January.
Now to get to the point:
I considered everything after that relapse to be recovery phase, meaning for the last 4 months I've had symptoms off and on, but I've been much, much better but not out of the woods yet. And all my blood work has been normal since December.
My main symptoms during recovery have been fatigue and malaise.
Good days/Bad days that came and went and I even recently had a good 8 days in a row that I felt completely normal, that's a personal record!
So I thought I was really beating this thing.
Anyway
Here's my problem, the last few days I've felt weak in the legs, dizzy, no appetite and getting the chills. The reason this bothers me is I haven't had these symptoms since I was in the acute phase. So I'm deathly afraid I might be relapsing again because these specific symptoms.

My question is do you thinking I'm relapsing or are these just more residual symptoms. Shouldn't my body have made enough antibodies to prevent a full blown attack again? Our has anyone had a similar experience they thought they were relapsing but didn't???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
(male)

shadow0421 HB User
Re: Mononucleosis at 6 months

I'll tell you about my experience, which I hope might help you in some way.

I first started having symptoms back in April of '92. I was 25 years old. I was very fatigued, and had swollen lymph nodes in my neck. I would get a low grade fever the same time every day-around 3pm and it would subside around 6pm. I had a constant headache, it wasn't pounding but like a pressure on my head and neck. I'm assuming it was somekind of viral meningitis. Asprin wouldn't work and I had it all day every day. I also was sensitive to light. I also experienced sharp abdominal pains after eating followed by diarrea. It got so bad where ever I went I had to make sure there was a bathroom nearby. Another symptom which may or may not had been related to the mono/EBV was an occassional sharp pain in my chest like I swallowed a piece of glass.

I went to my doctor and he ran some blood tests. I tested neg. for the mono spot but said I had Epstein-Barre. Even though I was really weak and tired, I continued to work because I really couldn't afford to stay home. I started feeling a little better around June but most of my symptoms lasted until Oct.!

Then in April the following year-exactly 12 months from the first attack, I had the same symptoms. Only this time they weren't as severe and I was back to my normal self within a month or two. However, the one thing that scared me was my doctor didn't have an explanation for the second attack saying it was unusual to get mono a second time. Then I started wondering if maybe I had hiv, so I got multiple tests done over the years with (thankfully) negative results. After reading all the posts on this topic, I'm convinced that what I had was mono/EBV.

sporque, to answer your question, it sounds like to me your having a relapse. Are your symptoms less than the initial attack? What I had I believe was a relapse but with a lesser degree of the symptoms.

Last edited by shadow0421; 04-25-2011 at 09:15 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadow0421 For This Useful Post:
sick5 (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 02:24 AM   #3
(female)

sick5 HB User

shadow0421
will you please read my post on the mononucleosis board titled "Recurring mono symptoms or HIV?" I would really appreciate it if you could post on it.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
(male)

dcruze11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow0421 View Post
I'll tell you about my experience, which I hope might help you in some way.

I first started having symptoms back in April of '92. I was 25 years old. I was very fatigued, and had swollen lymph nodes in my neck. I would get a low grade fever the same time every day-around 3pm and it would subside around 6pm. I had a constant headache, it wasn't pounding but like a pressure on my head and neck. I'm assuming it was somekind of viral meningitis. Asprin wouldn't work and I had it all day every day. I also was sensitive to light. I also experienced sharp abdominal pains after eating followed by diarrea. It got so bad where ever I went I had to make sure there was a bathroom nearby. Another symptom which may or may not had been related to the mono/EBV was an occassional sharp pain in my chest like I swallowed a piece of glass.

I went to my doctor and he ran some blood tests. I tested neg. for the mono spot but said I had Epstein-Barre. Even though I was really weak and tired, I continued to work because I really couldn't afford to stay home. I started feeling a little better around June but most of my symptoms lasted until Oct.!

Then in April the following year-exactly 12 months from the first attack, I had the same symptoms. Only this time they weren't as severe and I was back to my normal self within a month or two. However, the one thing that scared me was my doctor didn't have an explanation for the second attack saying it was unusual to get mono a second time. Then I started wondering if maybe I had hiv, so I got multiple tests done over the years with (thankfully) negative results. After reading all the posts on this topic, I'm convinced that what I had was mono/EBV.

sporque, to answer your question, it sounds like to me your having a relapse. Are your symptoms less than the initial attack? What I had I believe was a relapse but with a lesser degree of the symptoms.
Shadow, I know it's been some time since you've has mono. After your second relapse, how long were you having your symptoms? Have they gone away completely or are you still having them on and off?

Thanks,
David

Old 08-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

I was diagnosed in April, but am still really struggling with fatigue and muscle weakness -- and shakiness. My doctor is sending me to a neurologist for the muscle weakness, but I am convinced it is part of the mono. She said my blood tests are looking better, but I don't feel any better.

Closed Thread