It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2002, 06:10 PM   #1
Unregistered

Mononucleosis and HIV

This was originally posted on other message boards.

I am a special education teacher. I have a 10 year old with HIV that has shown signs of immune system decline and a related infection. I was diagnosed with Mononucleosis and am concerned about passing it to the boy. What can happen if he gets it? What if his immune system cannot fight it or he develops full blown AIDS with the Mono virus in his system? The school does not care about the health of the children. They've even been known to allow a child with urine soaked clothing to continue her normal routine-spreading germs in the classroom, gym, hallway, etc.

I went to the school nurses over my concern for the boy and they got me placed back on medical leave.

I got a new job and put in my resignation a couple weeks ago. I was to stay at the old job through Feb 8th. When I was first diagnosed with Mono 3 doctors said I needed to take time off. The school board disregarded medical advice and declared me well enough to work after a very brief phone conversation. They were going to send their lawyer after me and ruin my career. I ended up paying $1200 in legal bills (so far). The school board had me come back after 6 weeks without medical clearance. After I found out I was still contagious, I went to the school nurses to find out how to protect not just the boy (I know of at least 1 other HIV+ student I have contact with not to mention the large number of other health impaired students in the school-including 2 on ventilators), but all the kids-not to mention the staff.
They were appalled that the Board wanted me at work the whole time I was known to be contagious and that I wasn't medically cleared to come back.

I am partially permanantly disabled by Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (I am active on those boards!) and have gone through periods of total disablity. I have tried various state agencies to find someone who gives a damn about the kids, but haven't had any luck so far. I have grounds to sue the school board over what they did, but am too ill to fight a lengthy legal battle. I can't even fight for myself, I doubt I can make a difference for the kids-especially after my resignation takes effect. I am in tears over concern for them, but I feel helpless. If anything I'll end up being charged with harassment. I am 28 and have chosen not to have children of my own because I know I can't care for them properly. My students are my children.

The school board tried saying I was the one that didn't care about the kids, when they ARE the ones endangering the kids.

In yet another incident, the principal tried to force the nurses to medicate a child against the doctor's written orders.

This is all happening in Union County, New Jersey.
I'd like to give that idiotic board member a great big kiss and pass the Mono on to him!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread