It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
(female)

Striving4Me HB User
Question Mono, when will this go away? HELP ME!

36 / F

Hello, I was recently dx with Mono ( 3 weeks ago) but I have been sick off and on since early November. I finally got REALLY sick, I felt totally flat lined and went in this January and found out the news after blood testing. I missed a week of work over it and I went back to work this past week, although it was hell I thought I may of been coming out of it for the better since I actually made it out of bed, that was progress. BUT Friday I was totally tired the entire day and in total pain, I worked the day and then came home and layed down. (today is Sunday) I haven't left my bed/ couch since then. I feel like I'm back at square one again. My entire body down to my finger joints just ache, I have stomach pain, headache, my body will go from hot to cold hot to cold, I have NO energy at all , I feel SO fatigued, I can't eat , ZERO appetite !! I'm basically forcing myself to eat at this point so I don't die from starvation. I'm taking a mutiple vitamin but I can't even tell if it's helping. I don't know what to do!! Will this ever go away??? WHEN does Mono go away??

I'm starting to worry more than ever , I wonder when will I be normal again and get back to my life, will I ever be able to exercise again , I've lost alot of weight!! I am small framed naturally I'm 5'4 I weigh about 125 lbs and I probably have dropped about 10 pounds since I got sick the first time and I think I'm continually dropping weight. Everyone at work is asking me if I'm okay and I know it's because I look like hell. This is a very depressing situation to be in and Mono is not something you typically just blurt out to everyone you know so they understand why you look sick.

It would seem as though I'm going into month 3 now with Mono now and I feel like it's getting worse not better! Is this normal, what the heck is going on?! I called my doctors office and spoke with his nurse and all they can tell me is to continue to rest as much as possible and drink plenty of fluids. I am in total chronic pain, my entire body hurts and advil isn't cutting it! I was prescribed something for pain.

Everyones talking about their symptoms on here about Mono and I have all of them except nobody has mentioned the pain like I seem to have, so that concerns me.

Is there anything else I can be doing?? I can't stand this anymore , I'm a walking zombie and I look like one too! Any advice would be much appreciated.

I am SO sad
Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Mono, when will this go away? HELP ME!

Hi For the stomach ache I would skip the advil which is known to damage the stomach and digestive system and eat more cabbage. I would also drink lots of water in between meals 1/2 hour before and a little time afterward. The stomach is absolutely needed for the recovery of the rest of the body in my opinion and must be taken care of.

Is there vomiting? Advil has the potential to cause this for some people in my opinion.

For the body aches I would use a nice warm bath for a while or a warm shower but not so long that a headache shows up a nice cool cloth might be useful on the head to prevent that. If this measure does not help a whole lot some white willow bark capsules might help but it does contain a natural aspirin. It would be better than Advil but it also has a bit of nausea potential if used long. It might be better to try to put up with the pain for a bit while the body recovers from what advil and the mono has done.

For the virus I would use 2 bay leaves placed in water that was just boiled, turn off the heat and then let it sit for 20 minutes, take out the leaves and then drink it. I would use the bay leaf tea every 6 hours. There will be no color but there will be a nice flavor to it. I would use it several days past symptoms maybe no less than a month.

The following user gives a hug of support to sjb:
Striving4Me (02-07-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
(female)

Striving4Me HB User

Thank you so much, I love natural remedies so I appreciate the advice greatly! I'm still having problems with pain in my joints, I will skip the advil will try the bay leaf regime tonight ! Thank you again

Old 02-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi you are welcome!

Old 02-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #5
(female)

monomom HB User

I posted in another thread about my 17 year old daughter's mono experience, and her condition has improved considerably. I insisted that she have blood work done and she was positive for strep, even though the rapid strep test was negative. So many other illnesses accompany mono because it ravages your immune system. These should be all be investigated.

I gave my daughter Advil as needed for pain and fever. I tried not to overuse it, but did not spare it when things were bad. I also gave her an Epson salt bath for the aches, and this was soothing and gave her relief. She had a horrible sore throat, and had difficulty swallowing anything, so I gave her ice cubes constantly to keep her hydrated. Once she was able to swallow, I tried to give her Ensure to help her keep some weight on and give here nutrition, but she felt that anything with milk in it created mucus in the throat. I run to the store if she requests anything food related because she has lost so much weight. Now that she is on antibiotics I see a huge difference, and she truly back to herself. She needs to gain weight and strength. I am glad I insisted that the doctor's check everything.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
(male)

MonoGuy1970 HB User

Striving: I was diagnosed about the same time as you. I am 40 yo male, previously health. Are you any better? I seem to have good days and bad days.

good wishes to all.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
(female)

missinglife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striving4Me View Post
36 / F

Hello, I was recently dx with Mono ( 3 weeks ago) but I have been sick off and on since early November. I finally got REALLY sick, I felt totally flat lined and went in this January and found out the news after blood testing. I missed a week of work over it and I went back to work this past week, although it was hell I thought I may of been coming out of it for the better since I actually made it out of bed, that was progress. BUT Friday I was totally tired the entire day and in total pain, I worked the day and then came home and layed down. (today is Sunday) I haven't left my bed/ couch since then. I feel like I'm back at square one again. My entire body down to my finger joints just ache, I have stomach pain, headache, my body will go from hot to cold hot to cold, I have NO energy at all , I feel SO fatigued, I can't eat , ZERO appetite !! I'm basically forcing myself to eat at this point so I don't die from starvation. I'm taking a mutiple vitamin but I can't even tell if it's helping. I don't know what to do!! Will this ever go away??? WHEN does Mono go away??

I'm starting to worry more than ever , I wonder when will I be normal again and get back to my life, will I ever be able to exercise again , I've lost alot of weight!! I am small framed naturally I'm 5'4 I weigh about 125 lbs and I probably have dropped about 10 pounds since I got sick the first time and I think I'm continually dropping weight. Everyone at work is asking me if I'm okay and I know it's because I look like hell. This is a very depressing situation to be in and Mono is not something you typically just blurt out to everyone you know so they understand why you look sick.

It would seem as though I'm going into month 3 now with Mono now and I feel like it's getting worse not better! Is this normal, what the heck is going on?! I called my doctors office and spoke with his nurse and all they can tell me is to continue to rest as much as possible and drink plenty of fluids. I am in total chronic pain, my entire body hurts and advil isn't cutting it! I was prescribed something for pain.

Everyones talking about their symptoms on here about Mono and I have all of them except nobody has mentioned the pain like I seem to have, so that concerns me.

Is there anything else I can be doing?? I can't stand this anymore , I'm a walking zombie and I look like one too! Any advice would be much appreciated.

I am SO sad
Thank you
Hi striving4me, I know you posted this a while ago but I would like to say that I too have been struggling with mono and have the same symptoms as you do. I have the joint painand muscle weakness, stomach/digestive problems, feel miserably ill. I was dx with cytomegalo virus about 7 years ago and now about 8 months ago was dx with mono. When I got dx with mono I was only sick for about 3 weeks and then got better but was still always tired..well just this past month and a half I've been so sick can't even get out of bed, went back to dr and yes I have mono again...I have missed 3 weeks of work and I understand how you feel. This illness is so horrible and no one understands how debilitating it is. I just wonder when I will be normal again and I am afraid I will not be able to work in a week when I'm supposed to go back. I have an added symptom which is a rapid heart beat, I've been to the hospital 3x this month and they do ekg's and bloodwork and they say I'm fine, but I don't feel fine...the rapid heart beat is scary. I have no energy and I have pain everywhere, forcing myself to eat and drink. The doctors tell me the same thing that there is nothing they can do and let it run its course. So I'm in my 2nd month of being really sick and just want to be normal again. Can't keep missing work or I might lose my job and people think that 3 weeks off work that I should be better and I'm not. I hate this and am sad that I'm missing out on life. I was wondering if you are any better and if you are how long did it take? I hope your health has improved. I wish there was a cure for this, I pray every night that I wake up the next day after sleeping 12 hours and feel better.

Closed Thread