It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
(female)

monomom HB User
Low Body temperature following fever

My 17 year old daughter is experiencing a classic case of infectious mononucleosis. It began with on and off low grade fever, chills, headache, and general ill feeling. A week into it she had sore throat, tonsillitis, high fevers (up to 103-104) and eating and drinking very little because of the throat pain. This has gone on for two weeks now. The cycle of fevers is slowing down and her throat and lymph nodes have gone down considerably. She is eating and drinking when there is no fever, but her appetite is not big. Her fevers have gone from every four hours, to seven and now nine. This is good, however, when the fever goes down she has chills and sweats and her temperature crashes below 97. Last night she was cold and clammy and her temperature was as low as 96.3. When it finally goes back up, it stays normal only briefly, and then turns into a fever. She takes nothing until it gets over 101, and then ibuprofen, which brings it down to eventually below normal. The highs are not as high anymore but the lows keep getting lower. What is this? I am really worried. Monomom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
(female)

monomom HB User
Re: Low Body temperature following fever

We followed up with the doctor yesterday. It was the first day she did not spike a fever in nearly three weeks, but her temperature was still low grade. It seems that the low body temperature was the fever breaking. The low grade fever was attributed to the strep that we did not realize she had until the lab tests came back. She had a rapid strep test done last week that came up negative. The lab results were positive. Within hours of taking the antibiotic for strep, she seemed to be on the road to recovery. She sent me to the store with a list of food she was craving and ate more yesterday in one day than she did for the entire previous three weeks!

If you have mono and continue to have a low grade fever, have a throat culture done. Doctors are reluctant to prescribe antibiotics, and rightfully so. In my daughter's case it was the wrong call.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread