It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
(female)

Kimesie HB UserKimesie HB UserKimesie HB User
Finally! Something that helps! Monolaurin

My 16 year old son has been suffering from fatigue for a whole year after having had mono. We tried all kinds of things, but nothing helped much. Two weeks ago we started him on monolaurin, which is derived from coconut oil, and now for the last few days he is feeling much better for the first time in a year! He weighs 120lbs and we worked up to 1200 mg 3 times a day and it took about 11 days for him to feel a lot better.

Monolaurin has an effect on bacteria and viruses that have a lipid (fat) coating and it does not affect the good bacteria in your gut because they don't have lipid coatings. It works because the mono virus (which does have a lipid coating) absorbs the monolaurin (which has a medium chain fatty acid instead of a long chain fatty acid) into its lipid coat and when it has enough of the the shorter chains in the coat the coating falls apart because the shorter chains make an unstable coat. Then the virus dies or is vulnerable to the bodies defenses when it doesn't have its protective coating. It also interferes with the virus's reproduction. There are no side effects that I know of except that some people experience a herxheimer reaction, (which you can look up on the internet if you don't know what that is,) so some people need to gradually work up to the effective dose. You can get monolaurin at any well stocked vitamin store. I have heard that it can help lessen the duration and severity of acute mono, too.

He is also taking L-lysine 500 mg twice a day, which is supposed to weaken the virus.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kimesie For This Useful Post:
SOE (06-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: Finally! Something that helps! Monolaurin

Thanks Kimesie. I found that research when I was home with mono and started taking Coconut Oil. I'm still taking it. I was so sick and taking so many supplements, I don't know whether it helped, but it certainly didn't hurt me.

Closed Thread