It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
(female)

Tagg66 HB User
Unhappy eyelid swelling normal?

HI everyone. I'm a 25 year old female. I have been feeling very ill for almost 2 months. My doctor ran to mono spot tests on me in the doctors office the first 3 weeks of seeing him and they would come back negative. He ran several different tests on my blood and the Epstein barr panel came back and he told me I had mono. This would be my third time having mono, but my symptoms are much worse. I do have two young children this time around so I know the demands on my body are more, but is eyelid swelling normal. From what I read it usually occurs in the first week of mono. However, even though it was my first symptom and didn't think anything of it the first two days, it has been almost two months and about twice a week I will wake up to a HUGE swollen eyelid. My eye is fine, but man the eyelids are just what seems to be filled with fluid. I don't have a sore throat but a lot of pressure in my head and ear fullness! I can constantly pop my ears but have no signs of ear infection according to the doctor. I do have swollen lymph nodes behind my ear and all along my neck that really bother me. Not horrible pain but very stiff neck and I'm thinking is causing my issues with my ears and head pressure. Also, after almost two months my armpits are getting tender. I guess probably from my lymph nodes in there. I have a few swollen in my groin area. At this point all my blood work seems fine besides the Epstein barr panel. Sorry for writing so much I was just seeing if anyone had similiar symptoms to mine. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and offering any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: eyelid swelling normal?

Do you have your EBV panel results you could post? I would try to get a copy of them, just in case there is any misinterpretation of them. The other thing that comes to mind, with widespread enlarged lymph nodes and eyelid swelling is lupus. It is odd that your nodes are just getting enlarged elsewhere 2 months after symptoms started. Most people would be having the mono resolve by now, not be getting new symptoms. EBV is one virus that is thought to trigger lupus and you mention you had this twice before. The eyelid swelling can indicate kidney involvement, so I would be sure you have a urine check done, and a blood test for kidney function, as well as the regular tests for lupus- ANA, sed rate, CRP, CBC, and more specific antibodies if ANA positive. If you can get all your other test results to see what was tested, that would help as well.

The following user gives a hug of support to ladybud:
Tagg66 (08-14-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
(female)

Tagg66 HB User

Thank you Ladybug for replying to my post. You actually replied to a prior post of mine before a lot of my blood work was done. I really thank you for helpin others through some of this process. I have had two ANA tests ra on my blood both came back negative and my CBC, sed rate, and CRP all came back good. I will try to copy and past my EBV reults. On the bottom in the summary section it states, that hey concluded it was a past infection. I calld the doctors office yesterday to check to see if it was possibly picking up the virus from my past episodes with it, and then the receptionist looked on my chart and said they posted that it said a "recent" infection of the virus from what she was looking at. The on and off eyelid swelling makes me nervous, and the jaw and ear pain as well. I'm feeling better than the first month, for sure, but just frusterated with the other pain and eyelid swelling. Thank you again Ladybug!

Component

Your Value

Standard Range

Units

EPSTEIN-BARR VIRUS VCA IGM AB

< OR = 0.90- my value

index

Index Interpretation
< or = 0.90 Negative
0.91 - 1.09 Equivocal
> or = 1.10 Positive

EPSTEIN-BARR VIRUS VCA IGG AB

>5.00- my value

index

Index Interpretation
< or = 0.90 Negative
0.91 - 1.09 Equivocal
> or = 1.10 Positive

EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab Ig+R[-56]CG

>5.00 -my value

index

Index Interpretation
< or = 0.90 Negative
0.91 - 1.09 Equivocal
> or = 1.10 Positive

INTERPRETATION

Suggestive of a past Epstein-Barr virus infection.
In infants, a similar pattern may occur as a result
of passive maternal transfer of antibody.

I hope this is okay to read.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

I feel for you. I got mono back in April and I'm still struggling. I've read in several places that eyelid swelling is a symptom of the mono. And though my blood tests show that the mono should technically be over, it doesn't feel like that. Take it easy on yourself.

SOE

Old 08-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

This looks like past infection. I would again recommend you have a urinalysis and kidney function tests if those have not been done. Glad you are feeling a little better.

Closed Thread