It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
(female)

neochiq HB User
newbie.. please read

Ok so I'm 30 years old (just thought I'd get that out of the way)

I have been running a fever for weeks now (or at least I am pretty sure I have been) The last few days being the worst. Had a sore throat, fevers of around 99.5 (the E.R. doctor said this is 'not' a fever?) (also a stuffy nose?) loss of appetite, (and consequently lost 8lbs in like 4 days)...

So anyhow... so I've felt like crap lately...just not myself.

Went the the E.R. (because my normal Doctor is great but she just didn't think anything was wrong) and they did a blood test to confirm mono..

My question is...I'm a happily married 30 year old woman... how could I get this? I haven't been kissing anyone (or using the same spoons or cups etc)

Furthermore, the ER doctor never checked my red or white blood count...just the mono test...is this normal?

My Liver enzymes were SUPER high. AST=240 and ALT= 353. Also Alk Phos=183

I've read that there can be a false positive for mono if you actually have lymphoma? But I don't have any swollen glands...

Also-- my fever comes and goes...is that normal? It is normal in the morning upon waking... sharply rises about 30 minutes after I'm up...stays elevated all day until around 8pm...then it goes back down to normal...is that something that can happen with mono?

Thanks in advance for answers

Old 09-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: newbie.. please read

I think a hepatitis test would be reasonable as well as a CBC to see if you have a viral or bacterial infection. Any exposure that could cause hepatitis? You can get an autoimmune hepatitis if the viral hepatitis results are negative. Mono can cause hepatitis too, so that result will be important. Most people, 85% of population do get mono at some time from general exposure, not just kissing. Some people think you need a temp of 99.6 or more to call it a fever. I think over 99 is a fever. There are differences of opinion on that one. I would ask for these additional tests if mono test is negative.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #3
(female)

neochiq HB User

Well they did the mono test in the hospital and it was positive. Should I still be tested for hepatitis too?

I can't think of any way I'd have been exposed to hepatitis. Sheesh...let's hope not!

Old 09-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Probably not, since mono was positive and we know mono can affect the liver. The liver enzymes should come down to normal as the mono resolves, which is usually 4-8 weeks. I would try to get plenty of rest, stay hydrated, and protect others by saliva precautions, like sharing cups, bites of food etc. You may even need to cut back on work, depending on how ill you feel and how tired.

Closed Thread