It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
(female)

Kimesie HB UserKimesie HB UserKimesie HB User
fatigue after mono and genetic mutations

Hello everyone,

My now 16 year old son had mono about a year and a half ago followed by unending fatigue. The doctor just told us that it can take a long time to get over mono, which was really no help at all. Then a couple of months ago a naturopathic doctor tested my husband for the MTHFR gene mutations, which are extremely common, and discovered that he had the A1298C gene. So we had our son tested and it turned out that he has the C677T gene mutation, which means that I must also have it. The C677T gene mutation makes the enzyme that processes folic acid into methylfolate work at a lower efficiency. Although our son's mutation only lowers his folate processing down to about 60-70% of normal, it appears that when he had mono he needed more methyl folate than he could process and it started him into a downward spiral. Within a few hours of taking 5 mg of methylfolate (the RDA is 400mcg so this is more than 10X the RDA) he started feeling better. He has been feeling better now for over a month and seems to still be improving (folate deficiency also causes a form of anemia that doesn't show up on regular anemia tests called megaloblastic anemia so he is probably recovering from anemia, too.)

Under normal conditions one copy of this gene doesn't usually cause much health concern, but it looks like when the body is under stress (such as with mono) a person may not be able to process enough folate and it drags them under health wise. Two copies of this gene make a worse situation with the enzyme efficiency running from 10-30%. These gene mutations are very common, so if you feel that you are not recovering as you should from mono it is a simple matter to get the methlyfolate and give it a try for a while and see if it helps. There are two brands that I know of that have the correct form of methyl folate, one brand has 400mcg and 800mcg tablets and the other has 1 mg and 5 mg capsules.

I hope this helps some of you as much as it has my son! If it does help after a while (maybe 2-3 months, I guess, because that's how long it takes to replace most of the blood cells) you can lower your dose to 400 or 800 mcg.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: fatigue after mono and genetic mutations

Thanks for the information!

Closed Thread