It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
(female)

J9hunt HB User
Question When should I send my child with mono back to school?

My 13-year-old daughter was diagnosed with mono three weeks ago. She is still sleeping 18-20 hours per day. Yesterday was the first day she went back to school and she made it only for two hours, and it wiped her out. She went to sleep as soon as she got home and has been asleep since, except for when I woke her up to eat dinner last night and breakfast this morning. That's almost a full 23 hours. I've had her back to the doctor a couple of times and he says it just takes time and that she needs to rest. On the other hand, the school nurse keeps saying she needs to be back in school and that they have students with mono who come to school all the time. My daughter is obviously falling behind--she's not awake enough to work on any assignments. Do I force her to go to school like this, as the nurse wishes? Or do I continue to let her rest as the doctor said? Is there anything I can do to help recover more quickly?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
(female)

growagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB User
Re: When should I send my child with mono back to school?

I would follow the doctors orders, and your daughters needs first and always. I am sure your doctor can put this in writing to give to the school.

I would allow your daughter all the time she needs to recover, while also having the school send her assignments home so she can stay with the class.

It is important to be assertive with the school to insure your daughters full recovery. At her age, she can easily catch up if need be. Her health is far more important.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: When should I send my child with mono back to school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J9hunt View Post
My 13-year-old daughter was diagnosed with mono three weeks ago. She is still sleeping 18-20 hours per day. Yesterday was the first day she went back to school and she made it only for two hours, and it wiped her out. She went to sleep as soon as she got home and has been asleep since, except for when I woke her up to eat dinner last night and breakfast this morning. That's almost a full 23 hours. I've had her back to the doctor a couple of times and he says it just takes time and that she needs to rest. On the other hand, the school nurse keeps saying she needs to be back in school and that they have students with mono who come to school all the time. My daughter is obviously falling behind--she's not awake enough to work on any assignments. Do I force her to go to school like this, as the nurse wishes? Or do I continue to let her rest as the doctor said? Is there anything I can do to help recover more quickly?
How is your daughter feeling?

Closed Thread

Tags
mono, school