It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
(female)

SuzyGrace HB User
Mono??? Please tell me what you think!

In the beginning of January, 2013, I was sick with some kind of "virus." It started with a sore throat that gradually got worse over a few days and then turned in to a full blown cold.... Headache, stuffy/runny nose, sore throat(hoarse voice), swollen lymph nodes, fatigue, loss of appetite, fever with chills for two days- (102.5 at its highest), along with aches and pains. These pains were quite different than anything I've ever experienced before. There were the all-over aches that came and went but there were also sharp, fleeting pains in random places all over my body. They would occur a lot of times in the same spots. My neck, upper chest, inner elbows, armpit, upper leg. Some of which I associate with lymph node locations. My cold symptoms cleared up quickly, but after a few weeks I started having pain under my ribs. First on the right side(liver) and then the left(spleen). And the random pains eased up but never stopped.

During my sickness I visited the dr. several times thinking I could have the flu and was diagnosed with a sinus infection and given antibiotics. After my cold symptoms were gone I went back to the dr because my lymph nodes were still swollen and couldn't explain my pains. I asked her if she thought it could be mono and she said "no, if you had mono you would be very, very sick." So she didn't test me because I wasn't "sick" enough. Two and a half months later I find a new dr. And told him my previous and present symptoms and he did a bunch of blood tests and the mono test came back positive. But I have also heard of this test having false positives, which makes me nervous. First I was told that i didn't have mono and now 2 and a half months later I'm told i tested positive for a recent mono infection. I guess my question is, has anyone ever experiences an illness like this? Is mono definitely the culprit? I just think its strange that I was sick almost 3 months ago and I still have swollen lymph nodes(under jaw on right side and also above left collarbone), liver and spleen pain, the random pains, and fatigue. Please someone give me some insight?! I'm starting to think I will never feel normal again and that I could have lymphoma or something and the illness was just a coincidence

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: Mono??? Please tell me what you think!

It sounds like mono to me. The only real cure is rest, and it can really drag on depending on your immune system.

Are you getting enough rest? Your doctor can test you again to see what the level of the antibodies are in your system. They can tell whether it's active or old mono. When I was first diagnosed my doctor said there was evidence of past infection and current infection. I never even knew I had it before, but I sure knew the second time. It's been almost a year for me and I still battle fatigue.

Hang in there and make sure you are getting plenty of rest.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
(female)

SuzyGrace HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOE View Post
It sounds like mono to me. The only real cure is rest, and it can really drag on depending on your immune system.

Are you getting enough rest? Your doctor can test you again to see what the level of the antibodies are in your system. They can tell whether it's active or old mono. When I was first diagnosed my doctor said there was evidence of past infection and current infection. I never even knew I had it before, but I sure knew the second time. It's been almost a year for me and I still battle fatigue.

Hang in there and make sure you are getting plenty of rest.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and for responding! I do get a good amount of sleep, but I'm still always tired I have 3 kids, my youngest is four months, so my sleep is sometimes interrupted. But I definitely get enough hours. The dr. only said there was evidence of a recent infection, so I'm assuming that means this is the first time. I keep worrying about the lymph node in my neck. It's big and hard and feels irritated/inflamed. I've had it for over 3 months. Do you know it that's normal? I also worry about the pain under my rib cage.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyGrace View Post
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and for responding! I do get a good amount of sleep, but I'm still always tired I have 3 kids, my youngest is four months, so my sleep is sometimes interrupted. But I definitely get enough hours. The dr. only said there was evidence of a recent infection, so I'm assuming that means this is the first time. I keep worrying about the lymph node in my neck. It's big and hard and feels irritated/inflamed. I've had it for over 3 months. Do you know it that's normal? I also worry about the pain under my rib cage.
I don't know whether or not it's normal. If your doctor doesn't have an answer, maybe you should get a second opinion? Just to give you some peace of mind. Let me know what you decide and how you're feeling.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
(female)

SuzyGrace HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOE View Post
I don't know whether or not it's normal. If your doctor doesn't have an answer, maybe you should get a second opinion? Just to give you some peace of mind. Let me know what you decide and how you're feeling.
When I first got sick and had the cold symptoms, I saw a three different doctors(some more than once)because I felt I had something worse than a cold and I was trying to get a diagnosis other than viral infection. They told me I didn't have the flu or mono, but wouldn't do the test for mono. It wasn't until I saw the fourth dr. 2 and a half months later because I was still having strange symptoms that someone finally did a blood test for mon that same back positive. So I'd actually be getting a 5th opinion. The last dr I saw said if I don't feel better in a couple months to come back because he may have to do more tests. So I'm thinking if I'm still having symptoms in mid May or beginning if June I will go back to him. Ill let you know how I feel or if I find anything else out. Thanks again.

The following user gives a hug of support to SuzyGrace:
SOE (04-05-2013)
Closed Thread