It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

Painful hips

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #1
greenteafiend
(female)

greenteafiend HB User
Painful hips

Hi
I was dx with MS 22 years ago and am currently still feel pretty well and walk ok. But I have a problem that causing me issues- when I bend from the waist my hips get really sore and stiff, worsening with each bend. My neurologist days this is not MS related but I have been for x-ray and physio but nothing has been diagnosed or seems to help. It makes all sorts of tasks very difficult-tidying the house, gardening, and it also just tires me out. I just wanted to ask if anyone else with MS has this problem so can't find any info on line and GP didn't seem to have any ideas. It seems to be getting worse. I'm 47.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #2
Snoopy61
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
Re: Painful hips

Hi greenteafiend,

What were the x-rays of Lumbar spine, hips?

It could be Arthritis or a lower (Lumbar) back problem.

The only things that come to mind that might be MS related:

Spasticity. Do you take muscle relaxers? Could you increase your dose, with your Neurologists okay, to see if that's the problem?

Have you had your walking evaluated? If your walking form isn't correct it can put a strain on your hips and back.

How long did you work with a Physical Therapist and did you continue on your own?

Old 05-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #3
greenteafiend
(female)

greenteafiend HB User

Thanks for reply Snoopy
I had x-ray of hips. I've been to MS physio and a general physio. Went to them both 1 time each and got exercise plans. I have been doing exercises they gave me but no improvement. I'm not on muscle relaxers at present. I hadn't considered that at all so thanks. Will make an appointment to see GP about that or speak to my MS nurse.
I really appreciate you replying.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:14 PM   #4
Snoopy61
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

greenteafiend,

Are you unable to have one on one multiple sessions with a Physical Therapist(PT) in the UK? A Physical Therapist that works with you once or twice a week might be more beneficial than handing out a plan and completely doing it on your own.

If your muscles are tight (spasticity) a PT would be able to determine that by working with you. In this case it can be beneficial to work with a Physical Therapist that also does Massage Therapy. The two together is great at relaxing muscles and helps with movement.

I am surprised your Neurologist didn't consider Spasticity as a possible cause. That would be related to MS.

The Following User Says Thank You to Snoopy61 For This Useful Post:
greenteafiend (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 02:22 PM   #5
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Greenteafiend,

I am about the same age as you and although I dont have the problem all the time, I do run into tightness whenever I stop stretching for any period of time.

I recently had surgery and am not permitted to stretch, and within the last week I have been feeling that tightness you describe. Have you ever been on any sort of exercise program or done any stretching? Learning how to stretch is actually more complicated than it sounds. Allot of massage therapists are now offering "assisted stretch" techniques as an add on (or instead of) a regular massage. It might help you if you look into it. I know massage envy is advertising it on television in my part of the country.

Talk to your GP about this..it may help without having to go the muscle relaxer route if you prefer to try it first.

I hope you feel better soon!

The following user gives a hug of support to MSNik:
The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 03:10 PM   #6
greenteafiend
(female)

greenteafiend HB User

My neurologist was awful last time I saw him. Dismissed everything eg vertigo- maybe I didn't eat enough breakfast? Fatigue- probably just my lifestyle, hip pain- def not MS and didn't bother referring me to physio. Had to make appointment myself and even they were dismissive. I'm thinking that I don't present my symptoms well or something. Very frustrating. Also I think the NHS in the UK is on its knees and they try and get rid of you ASAP hence no follow up physio and I don't make a fuss so job done. I'm going to start being more assertive about this as it's interfering with my quality of life. Sorry for moaning on and thanks again for reply.

Last edited by greenteafiend; 05-19-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:19 PM   #7
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Moan away! Pain is a terrible thing to live with!

Try some stretching...it may give you some relief and let us know how everything works out with the NHS.

Feel better!

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
greenteafiend (05-20-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 08:00 PM   #8
MSJayhawk
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

greenteafiend,

I have hip and thigh pains as well as sciatic and back pain. These can all occur at the same time or vary. Many of my major pain issues come or present when my body is out of balance. Physical therapy can help one learn to address these occurrences. Staying well hydrated is important.

While it may not be directly MS related, it can certainly be indirectly related. When my muscles are affected, it spreads the stress to other areas. As muscle areas weaken, the stress flares and the impact can increase. My hips are alleviated with leg rest. I make sure I stretch as much as I can.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
greenteafiend (05-20-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 12:11 AM   #9
SF guy
(male)

SF guy HB User

Just trying to get more info. How does it feel if you are not moving for a while? So let's say you take a long car ride. How does it feel as you get out of the car and just after?

Old 05-21-2017, 01:40 AM   #10
greenteafiend
(female)

greenteafiend HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF guy View Post
Just trying to get more info. How does it feel if you are not moving for a while? So let's say you take a long car ride. How does it feel as you get out of the car and just after?
Hi
I'm ok when not moving for long periods. If I was getting out of a car after a long journey I would have a different sort of pain/stiffness in my legs. The hip pain is only caused by bending and straightening from the waist. I try and do things in a way that doesn't require bending- eg sitting on a footstool to pick things from floor or putting laundry basket on a chair to hang out clothes, but it's hard work and I have 2 kids who leave things lying around everywhere (will start getting then too tidy more!) Also vacuuming and sweeping floors cause it. I should just give up housework! Thanks for your reply.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:57 PM   #11
SF guy
(male)

SF guy HB User

Really sounds like some time with PT working with you could help, and perhaps muscle relaxers. MS may be related - it throws one thing out of whack and then everything else compensates. So often issues are not the first problem, its the reaction the body takes to the problem

The Following User Says Thank You to SF guy For This Useful Post:
greenteafiend (05-22-2017)
Reply Reply