It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2004, 05:45 AM   #1
(female)

skr HB User
Question Does it run in family?? MS risk?

My mom has MS. She found out in her late 40's. Took the docs a while to figure it out. I am 32, female. Does it run in the family? How soon could symptoms appear? Has anyone figured out was causes it? someone told me stress is a factor...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2004, 10:35 AM   #2

JND HB User
Re: Does it run in family?? MS risk?

I was DX earlier this year and from what I have researched there has been no one in my family that has had MS. Also, there is no known cause at this time.
I have heard from my doctor that some have passed on without even knowing they had it. Maybe you could go to your mothers doctor and discuss what he/she thinks. Try a search on the internet as well.

Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2004, 11:40 AM   #3

Mom_of_two HB User

I don't think anyone knows for sure if this disease is hereditary. Most docs will probably say no, but there are many MS'ers who have close family members who also have the disease. One thing is known, more females have it than males.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you, unless you are experiencing any 'classic' symptoms of the disease. If that's the case, then seeing a doctor right away would be wise.

Old 01-07-2004, 11:54 AM   #4

SapphireSky HB User

As someone above said, I wouldn't worry about it......try not to live your life each day looking for symptoms of something you will probably never get. There are no known genetic links.

I do, however, think it is a good thing for you to be aware of what your mother is going through......so going to the National MS site, or somewhere else, will give you a lot of information on the disease.

I wish the both of you good luck.

BTW I am the only person on both sides of my family that has MS, and I come from a very large family.

Old 01-07-2004, 12:03 PM   #5

Mom_of_two HB User

MS is a mystery disease, there is so much that is unknown about it. Right now they say it isn't hereditary, but who knows what the future will bring. They don't 'think' it is, but what about those who do have family members who have MS? Maybe just a strange coincidence, I don't know.

I am the only person that is known to have MS in my family as well. But then again, my mother was adopted at birth, so not a lot is known about her family.

Like I said in my other post, no need to worry about it unless you are having any symptoms of the disease. Best of luck and take care!

Old 01-10-2004, 07:40 PM   #6

oakman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skr
My mom has MS. She found out in her late 40's. Took the docs a while to figure it out. I am 32, female. Does it run in the family? How soon could symptoms appear? Has anyone figured out was causes it? someone told me stress is a factor...

Hi, my wife has MS she was diagnosed in 1982 when she was 35 years old . We have been told it is not hereditary but this disease is very deseptive and no one seems to be able to pin down what causes it or why it's so unpredictable . My wife's symtoms started as tingling sensations in her arms and hands and also loss of balance. She has lost the use of both of her arms at different times and the use of her right leg and impaired sight in both of her eyes at different times . The use of her limbs and her eyesight have come back but not 100% . The stress factor I think has a lot to do with the symtoms of MS the reason I say this is because before she was diagnosed she was teaching school and raising three boy's, looking after a house and taking university courses to get her BA so she was under a lot of stress . My wife is a very emotional person and somtimes certain things get her upset and usualy when that happens she has an exhaserbation of some sort . The worst thing about MS is the fatigue it's overwhelming she's tired all the time .As to your concern about getting MS I would not worry about it just live your life and have fun!

Closed Thread