It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2004, 09:35 PM   #1
(male)

kyle1 HB User
eye spasm MS symptom

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anybody else ever gets an eye lid spasm were your eyelid just spasms out of control. I'v been going through MS diognoses for about 6 months now and it seems like everyday it's something different. At my last doctors appointment I asked him about this spasm and he says its been seen in patients with MS they call it blefor spasm I'm not sure on the spelling of blefor.

Old 03-10-2004, 03:22 AM   #2
Inactive

Sampy123 HB User
Re: eye spasm MS symptom

Blepherospams are twitches or nervous ticks. You can have them without an MS diagosis as well. Kids usually get them and eventually outgrow them. Sounds like further testing is needed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2004, 05:36 AM   #3

lexieUK1 HB User

sorry to hear of your sympoms and yes i get spasms in my eyes. Nothing really can be done apart from trying to live with it. i ask people if they can notice it when it happens and they say they cant so its just another drawn out symptom that i have to put up with.

sampy is correct also...you dont have to have ms to get this symptom but sadly i do among with a lot of other people

Old 03-17-2004, 09:15 AM   #4
Mara

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anybody else ever gets an eye lid spasm were your eyelid just spasms out of control. Iíve been going through MS diagnoses for about 6 months now and it seems like everyday it's something different. At my last doctors appointment I asked him about this spasm and he says its been seen in patients with MS they call it blefor spasm I'm not sure on the spelling of blefor.
The first time I experienced that, the eye doc called them Blepharospasms in 99. It started in the left upper eyelids but gradually happened also on the other side, then the cheek, lip, it affects different muscle groups at different times and today it happens throughout the body. Some cause spasm and extreme pain and others just "twitch", like nerves misfiring. I had the option of Botox injections to treat it but did not want to paralyze the muscle, unless they caused painful spasm, besides as time passed, it happened in more places and more often. It goes back and forth between episodes. I knew/know eventually I'll need something to treat this systemically. Recently more is happening so hopefully that means a treatment that works.

The repetitive, rapid muscle contractions I get are not painful when they happen until they "turn into" a tight severely painful muscle spasm, it knots up but hurts like nobody's business. It happens in my outer foot and the muscles pull so much it pulls the toes down and I have to manually pull them back up and keep stretching to stop it, and at times I can't walk on it. when the contracting muscle stops rapidly contracting it "turns into" the muscle bunching up and tight and is very painful. It can happen anywhere and tends to nag and pester a specific muscle group. I also had facial weakness. In December my left eye pulled in, the eye doc said that was esotropia. She thought I had optic neuritis (severe eye pain, hurt to move directionally) which was the first time I ever had pain felt about or inside the eye itself. I have been trying different homeopathic remedies, splints, wraps and some medications but they have yet to control the spasms. One medication was okay accept for the side effects (had to stop) but it didnít stop the spasms but did some of the pain. I have another doctors appt. and will see if they think Neurontin might help me or something that will stop it. I have not been diagnosed with ms. Too many doctors too many strange sensations and pains. I hope they find out what's happening with you so they can help you.

With me the episodes can happen suddenly and gradually. When I'm feeling better, it means less pain. It's a cycle. Take Care, Gemi

Old 03-28-2004, 11:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User

Sorry about those who have blepharospasm caused by MS. For those without MS, it can be due to a vitamin deficency or from fatigue, computer fatigue. Ask your doc if you can take some zinc, calcium/magnesium vitamins to see if that resolves eye muscle twitch.

Old 04-01-2004, 12:22 PM   #6
Mara

ps.
went to the rheumy mon. she said nothing over the counter will stop the spasms. will see what the neuro says.

Old 04-01-2004, 08:40 PM   #7
(male)

kyle1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemi
ps.
went to the rheumy mon. she said nothing over the counter will stop the spasms. will see what the neuro says.

Imagine that thats just are luck, So do you have MS or they dont know what causes it?

Old 04-19-2004, 03:50 PM   #8
Mara

He prescribed Zanaflex which seems to be helping.

Old 04-21-2004, 08:55 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

Zanaflex is a good muscle spasm reliever. Hope that works well for the eye too!

Old 05-14-2004, 02:25 PM   #10
Mara

hi kyle, check out my first post. The eyelid twitches, drooping, eyeball movement-don't know why, just happens. Seeing more docs, more tests. I'm so tired...

hi californiasunflower, do you have eye problems? The med is helping, first thing I noticed was less muscle fascics which is a big deal for me (becuase they happen in different places and turn to painful spasm or contraction) will see after the newer dose is begun. I hope it helps because if the eye decides to pull out (cross) like it did again, I'll be in trouble. Lazy eye, droopy lid, twitches seem like nothing since the eyeball crossed that time, that was scary, not being able to see right, besides the spasms in places I never thought I could. Sometimes, feels like a freak of nature because it ain't normal! Take Care, Gemaroo

The good news is doc told me I could start increasing the dose, so hopefully between the gradual increases, i will be normal! I won't be taking it for a few days so I can take the nerve tests and not have it interfere with that. Thanks again, Gemi

Old 05-14-2004, 02:31 PM   #11
Mara

ps cali-i take those vitamins. at least that way the doc's can rule out deficiency, hypocalcemia, hypomagnesia or something like that. I also take omega 3-efa... Thanks for reminding everybody about that.

Old 05-15-2004, 06:50 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

hi californiasunflower, do you have eye problems? The med is helping, first thing I noticed was less muscle fascics which is a big deal for me (becuase they happen in different places and turn to painful spasm or contraction) will see after the newer dose is begun. I hope it helps because if the eye decides to pull out (cross) like it did again, I'll be in trouble. Lazy eye, droopy lid, twitches seem like nothing since the eyeball crossed that time, that was scary, not being able to see right, besides the spasms in places I never thought I could. Sometimes, feels like a freak of nature because it ain't normal! Take Care, Gemaroo

The good news is doc told me I could start increasing the dose, so hopefully between the gradual increases, i will be normal! I won't be taking it for a few days so I can take the nerve tests and not have it interfere with that. Thanks again, Gemi[/QUOTE]

Hi Gemiroo!

Yes, I do have eye problems so I understand your concerns, especially how scary eye pain, contractions, and visual disturbances can be. I hope that the regimen your on works and if you're unable to continue zanaflex, your physician will have a back-up medication in mind.

I was on zanaflex for muscle spasms (non-eye) and had side affects with the dose increase. Since you're going to be without the zanaflex for a few days for your nerve tests, you will notice that your urinary side affects will resolve. (Read your other post with regards to side affects & zanaflex). It is the zanaflex. If you need to remain on the zanaflex to control your eye, avoid the dosage increase and stay on the low dose to avoid the urinary side affects, but definitely talk to your doctor first. Can you call him/her today? I could only take a very low dose of it 3 times per day. Have you noticed BUDKO's posts? She has an ocular eye muscle condition too.

Closed Thread