It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2004, 01:11 PM   #1
Veteran

baddoey HB User
Hepatitis B Vaccination

Anyone had a Hepatitis B vaccination within 3 years of initial symptoms? just reading an article http://www.nationalmssociety.org/research-2004sept13.asp

I had one summer 2001. . .

Old 09-16-2004, 02:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User
Re: Hepatitis B Vaccination

yeah, 2002, tell me more! april xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2004, 06:18 AM   #3
Veteran

baddoey HB User

here is the article from the national ms society web page

Summary: A new study has found a threefold increase in the likelihood of individuals developing MS if they had had a hepatitis B vaccination within the prior three years compared to individuals who had no hepatitis B vaccination in that time frame.

The study, supported by the National MS Society, included 163 people with MS (11 of whom had had hepatitis B vaccinations within 3 years prior to developing symptoms of the disease) and 1,604 controls without MS.

The vast majority of individuals with MS in the study had not had hepatitis vaccination, indicating that hepatitis vaccination might be only one aspect of the likelihood of developing MS.

An accompanying editorial notes that while the methods used in this study are sound, the data presented related to MS do not provide sufficient evidence to change immunization policies, especially given the serious and at times fatal nature of hepatitis B.

Details: A new study has found a threefold increase in the likelihood of individuals developing MS if they had had a hepatitis B vaccination within the prior three years compared to individuals who had no hepatitis B vaccination in that time frame. The study, supported by the National MS Society, included 163 people with MS (11 of whom had had hepatitis B vaccinations within 3 years prior to developing symptoms of the disease) and 1,604 controls without MS. Miguel A. Hernan, MD, DrPH (Harvard School of Public Health, Boston) and colleagues report their findings in the September 14 issue of Neurology (2004;63:838-842). While noting the association between vaccination and development of MS, the authors also stress that 93% of the people in their sample who had MS had not been vaccinated, and developed MS anyway. An accompanying editorial notes that while the methods used in this study are sound, the data presented related to MS do not provide sufficient evidence to change immunization policies, especially given the serious and at times fatal consequences of hepatitis B.

Background: Hepatitis B virus causes some 4 million acute infections worldwide annually. More than 350 million individuals are chronic carriers of the virus after infection, and some 25% of those (some 5,000 per year in the U.S.) will die as a consequence of cirrhosis of the liver or liver cancer brought on by the viral infection. Vaccination against hepatitis B has been established to be safe and effective in helping to prevent infection and subsequent liver disease.

However, in recent years, concerns have been raised that vaccination against hepatitis B virus might increase risk for developing a variety of diseases, including MS. The concerns related to MS were due in part to a report from France in the mid-1990s of a possible increase in autoimmune diseases, including MS, after hepatitis B vaccination. However, efforts to confirm this report had been unsuccessful and two separate reports concluded that there was no evidence of an association between vaccination and the risk either of developing MS or having MS relapses (The New England Journal of Medicine, February 1, 2001). The World Health Organization and, separately, the Institute of Medicine reviewed all available data and concluded that there was no association between hepatitis B and MS.

In spite of considerable evidence to the contrary, some public concern has remained about a possible link between hepatitis B vaccine and MS. Dr. Hernan and colleagues examined this possibility using the General Practice Research Database (GPRD), which includes more than three million people in the United Kingdom health care system.

The Study: From the entire GPRD database, Dr. Hernan and colleagues identified 713 people who had been diagnosed with MS between January 1993 and December 2000. Of these cases, the researchers identified 163 (23%) in whom the diagnosis of MS could be confirmed via examination of medical records – an essential step to be certain of the diagnosis, and who had records in the GPRD for at least 3 years prior to the onset of MS symptoms. A total of 1,604 control cases without MS but with at least three years of GPRD records (approximately 10 for each case of MS) were chosen for comparison.

The results show that 11 (6.7%) of the 163 people with MS received at least one hepatitis B immunization during the 3 years before MS symptom onset, compared with 39 (2.4%) of controls who did not develop MS. To address the specificity of hepatitis B vaccination the authors also extracted data on influenza and tetanus vaccinations, two common immunizations. But, compared to controls, there was no difference in the frequency of these immunizations in people who developed MS compared with those who did not.

The study does not evaluate whether hepatitis B vaccination increased MS relapses or disease activity in those already diagnosed with MS. And, the authors provide no biological explanation as to why there might be an association between hepatitis B vaccination and development of MS.

While demonstrating in this study a threefold increase in the likelihood of developing MS after hepatitis vaccination, the authors note that the vast majority of individuals in the GPRD with MS – 93% of the sample of 163 people with MS – had not been vaccinated within three years of symptom onset. Thus, hepatitis B vaccination may be only one – and perhaps a minor – contributor to likelihood of developing of MS.

Conclusion: This study found a threefold increase in the likelihood of individuals developing MS if they had had a hepatitis vaccination within the prior three years compared to individuals who had no vaccination. But the vast majority of individuals with MS in the study had not had hepatitis vaccination, indicating that hepatitis vaccination might be only one aspect of the likelihood of developing MS.

In an accompanying editorial, Robert T. Naismith, MD, and Anne H. Cross, MD (Washington University in St. Louis) commented that although the methods used by Dr. Hernan and colleagues are sound, the data are derived from only 11 cases of MS and are at variance with the findings of most prior studies. At the time the data were collected, hepatitis B vaccination was targeted primarily to individuals at high risk for developing the disease, such as health-care workers. These individuals may have been more aware of neurologic symptoms and more likely to report them earlier than people in other professions.

“Thus, this article should be viewed as another piece of the puzzle of MS causation, but the data presented do not provide proof of an association sufficient to implement policy changes with regard to immunization programs,” conclude Drs. Naismith and Cross. “The indisputable benefit that the HBV provides against an infection that kills 5,000 per year in the United States must be weighed against any uncommon risks that remain in dispute.”

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention currently recommend hepatitis B vaccination for all children under the age of 18, and 47 out of 50 states have mandatory vaccination. In 2003, over 90% of school age children had been vaccinated. Hepatitis B vaccination became widespread only in recent years but has been very effective. Between 1985 and the present, the incidence of hepatitis B in the U.S. has declined 70%.

-- Research Programs Department

Old 09-17-2004, 01:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

hiya, thanks for that. What do you make of it? i starting having mine but didnt finish the course, i had flu one too. Its scary and i hope i dont have ms but im hoping to be midwife so i will have to have hep b injections then. How long have you had ms? what were your first symptoms?

Old 09-18-2004, 02:00 PM   #5

Dessell HB User

Hello,
I had a Hepatitus B shot in 1986,,but did'nt have any probs til 1995.There is so much bad crap in this world,,its hard to tell what causes what,tho studies are interesting,,I feel things just happen for no reason.Wish you well,Dessell

Old 09-18-2004, 03:27 PM   #6

jean b HB User

I was wondering about this whole thing - I had the shots last July to work with an autistic child. I was just diagnosed with ms this year. It makes you wonder My mother had the whole series and nothing ever happened- maybe something to do age???

Old 09-19-2004, 06:11 PM   #7
Veteran

baddoey HB User

i'm just putting together some information - not like it matters at this point. I'm still going through all my MS testing - lesions in brain, none on spine. . minor symptoms pins/needles in lowering legs/arms and torso - facial numbness. I was talking to my cousin about this and she was saying that it might not be virus vaccine but all the junk that they put in with it (mercury and such)- just another thought. . fun fun fun

Old 09-20-2004, 12:09 AM   #8
(female)

franstranges HB User

I got vaccinated back in 97, developed vertigo and pains in my knees in 98 (which were brushed off as common side effects to puberty) More recently, I still have the pains in my knees, tingling in my arms and wrist (but wrote that off as both my parents have carpel tunnel) and on occasion (more infrequently than back then) suffer from vertigo. I have always been considered a clutts droping and bumping in to everything. It was not till now that the doctors started to worry untill for the the last three munths I have been suffering from optical neuritis and thryoid problems. I am still in diagnosis limbo though, but its very interesting to look back at.
Thanks
Francesca

Last edited by franstranges; 09-20-2004 at 04:15 PM.

Old 09-20-2004, 11:07 AM   #9
(male)

PghGuy00 HB User

Yes, in 2000.

Old 09-20-2004, 02:54 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

did every one complete the course? or just have one?

Old 09-20-2004, 04:19 PM   #11
(male)

PghGuy00 HB User

Just one here.

Old 09-20-2004, 06:04 PM   #12
Veteran

baddoey HB User

I did all three. .

Old 09-21-2004, 03:40 PM   #13
(female)

franstranges HB User

did all three here too

Old 02-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #14
(female)

bacia mea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessell View Post
Hello,
I had a Hepatitus B shot in 1986,,but did'nt have any probs til 1995.There is so much bad crap in this world,,its hard to tell what causes what,tho studies are interesting,,I feel things just happen for no reason.Wish you well,Dessell
hi,..
i had a hepatitis b vaccine in 2007, and last year i was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism,..my question is...is it possible taking atithyroid meds can make your eyes yellow..?

Old 02-08-2012, 03:26 AM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi you are responding to a post which is almost a decade old. You may want to check the thryoid board for more information on anti thyroid drugs...you may not find the info you are seeking on the multiple scerlosis board..

Or, call your doctor? If you are showing signs of jaundice (yellowing) you definately want to call asap.

Nikki

Closed Thread