It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2004, 02:04 PM   #1
(male)

gabe107 HB User
Headache, numbness in one side of body.....What is this?

I am a 27 year old male who had suffered from migraine headaches for most of my childhood, but they completely stopped at around age 17. I have been having symptoms that could be perceived as migranes but they are completely different from what I experienced when I was younger.

It all started early this year when I was running on a treadmill and started to get numbness and tingling in the left side of my body, numbness in my leg, arm, face and tongue. Very concerned I stopped exercising because these sensations would come back. I was checked out by my doctor and they ruled out any heart problems. Usually accompanying these sensations is a low grade headache that is not necessary confined to one part of my head. After a while most of the numbness went away except for a slight sensation that lingered in my thumb.

A couple of days ago I started to experience some of these symptoms again, although I was just sitting at my computer. Numbness in my tongue left hand and face with a slight headache started again. In my childhood migraines the numbness had always been accompanied by an aura or blurry vision, but it is not the case this time around. Also, the numbness would subside when the headache started.

My current headache is lasting about 2 days and the numbness in different parts of my body comes and goes. I am very concerned that this might be some sort of a neurological condition. Other symptoms I have experienced in the past are muscle spasms and blepherospams, but I am currently not experiencing any of these symptoms.

Have you heard about any conditions that exhibit these symptoms. Last time I went to the doctor he dismissed these symptoms as not being that serious.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2005, 11:41 AM   #2
(male)

gabe107 HB User
Re: Headache, numbness in one side of body.....What is this?

Well the headache is not really a concern anymore....but I have continued numbness in the left side of my tongue. Additionally I get numbness in other areas on my left side like my hand, face.

I have head extensive bloodwork and a MRI and nothing was found. Any advise on what this could be?

Old 12-20-2005, 03:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

Gabe, what sort of MRI did you have? Was it of brain and or spine, did they do it with and without contrast? Did they say what they were checking for with the bloodwork? And have you seen a neurologist? Numbness can be a symptom of many things, it just seems a visit to a neurologist is in order.
At one of my earliest visits to my neuro I told her the back of my tongue was numb. When she was asking other questions she asked if I had lost any sense of taste, I had to honestly answer that I had because of the numb tongue. That seemed to trigger at least one of the many tests I had! Ask for a referral.

Old 12-22-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
(female)

Moon Rising HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilc
Gabe, what sort of MRI did you have? Was it of brain and or spine, did they do it with and without contrast? Did they say what they were checking for with the bloodwork? And have you seen a neurologist? Numbness can be a symptom of many things, it just seems a visit to a neurologist is in order.
At one of my earliest visits to my neuro I told her the back of my tongue was numb. When she was asking other questions she asked if I had lost any sense of taste, I had to honestly answer that I had because of the numb tongue. That seemed to trigger at least one of the many tests I had! Ask for a referral.
I agree with lilc. If you didnt have contrast with your MRI, then they may have missed lessions. I thought they only showed up with the contrast(dye) to make them appear white so they can see them. I had the numbness on my right side too. They found 2 small lessions in my brain.

-----Moon

Old 12-29-2005, 08:56 PM   #5
(female)

DanaC65 HB User

I also have the numbing on my right side, Face, Tongue, arm down to my toes. MRI showed a few small white lessions on my brain but Neuro Doc said it was normal and not to worry about it. Was put in the hospital for such severe numbing I kept falling and he still insists It is just a side affect of a migraine.
He is no longer my Neuro and will see a new one next month. My sister in Law says she is sure I have MS (She has MS) and says I should ask for a spinal tap to make sure.
Sorry, Dont mean to take over gabe107's post, It was just it sounded like I wrote it.

Old 01-01-2006, 11:01 PM   #6
(female)

dango HB User

Not to be too far afield, but a young male friend of mine had been having similar symptoms and thought it was Migraines, pinched nerves, etc. What he didn't think it was--was a blockage in his heart: pain+numbing on left side= ?heart problem; ?Blocked artery problem. I realize here we're focused on neurology. However the most obvious answer cannot be ignored--even in the very young! Peace!

Old 01-31-2006, 05:12 PM   #7
(male)

gabe107 HB User

I did have contrast through an IV, and the bloodwork checked for all the types of anemia, diabetes and so on. Currently my body numbness is not present but I do have a constant numbness on the left side of my tongue.

Sometimes my left thumb twitches, and I get an occational muscle spasm. My coordination and balance are fine, I am just always fatigued and can never seem to get enough sleep. The most annoying thing is constant eye lid spasms, that seem to always be around in both eyes either in the top, bottom or both lids.

Old 02-01-2006, 05:08 AM   #8
(female)

shaywood HB User

Well I am not sure about the headaches. I know that headaches can come with the ms,but the numbness is what I started off with. My right side from my navel down went numb. I could still walk fine it just felt like my skin was numb and it had a weird tingling feeling. My family doc. said she was going to run some tests to rule out everything and that maybe it would be a good idea if I get an mri to rule out ms. She said she didnt think that it was ms cause of me being so young. So I didnt have the mri right away and a few months had past and I started getting more symptoms. So I wouldnt wait I would trust your first instinct and if the doctors tell u your fine and u feel other wise then go to a different doc. I finally got an mri and found out that I indeed have ms. I never had an mri on my spine though. I hear that u can have lesions there also. Good Luck!!

Old 02-07-2006, 12:59 PM   #9
(female)

bella119 HB User

Hi, My mom is having the same symptoms. Her left side is numb and she has bad headache. She recently had her parathyroid glands removed and she had a back surgery few years ago. She has complications from both the surgeries and doctors just gave up saying you have to live with the pain. I have read that these kind of symptoms can be related to your back. My mom had a ruptured disc. I am still looking for something that will help ease my mom's pain.

thanks

Closed Thread