It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2004, 05:43 PM   #1
(female)

angie81 HB User
Fatigue can anyone help

Hi i was just wondering if anyone has or is experiencing fatigue really bad or all the time. I was just asking to see what knod of meds that you are taking for the fatigue. it is like i could sleep forever and still feel so tired. Someone just let me know.

Angie

Old 11-29-2004, 08:58 PM   #2
(female)

MomwithMS HB User
Re: Fatigue can anyone help

My neuro gave me provigil for fatigue. . but I can barely tolerate the side effects. My body will get tired, but my mind never stops racing. i also break out in a rash when I take it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2004, 08:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User

i have had good luck with acupuncture for fatigue, but i warn, you must have a practioner who knows the specific needle formations to treat MS.

also, i don't know if you use caffeine but i would recommend cutting back on it because i've found it can actually make me sleepier. i keep my coffee drinking to the first couple of hours in the morning only...

try deep breathing throughout the day. i know it sounds simple and a bit new-age but it really works. breathe breathe breathe. i have trouble with anxiety too. i think a lot of MSers do.

i don't know if any of these suggestions are feasible.

i hope to start to feel rested very soon.

Old 11-30-2004, 08:43 AM   #4
(female)

angie81 HB User

Thank you both I talked to my doctor about that Provigil but he said No so I don't know what about ritalin or symerttal (don't know if that is how you spell it) but he is looking at that. I was drinking Mt.Dew all day long like maybe 5 cans per day and I stopped and know I only drink coffee in the morning and nothing is really changing. I will ask him about that acupunture does it hurt at all or not. I will also try that breathing thing it never hurts to try anything.
Thank you
Angie

Old 11-30-2004, 09:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User

acupuncture isn't totally pain-free. you feel a slight *****.

Old 11-30-2004, 01:05 PM   #6
Veteran

baddoey HB User

I have been getting acupuncture once a week for the last few weeks. . haven't noticed much difference in my symptoms. I am going to continue for the next few months. . the needles are itty bitty and you only feel it for a second. . I find the whole thing sort of relaxing. . you get a little rub down after. . can't hurt right?

Old 12-02-2004, 11:26 AM   #7

pkinney HB User

Fatigue...I was sleeping 12 - 16 hours a day and waking up tired. I would NEVER sugguest that you go against your Neuro's orders. But I wonder why he told you NO on the provigil. I am sorry that others have had such problems with the med. For me, it's been a lifesaver. Yes, the potential is there for me to overdo and try to keep going beyond my personal limitations. The first few nights were hard. My body was exhausted and my mind wouldn't shut down. My Neuro suggested that we change the time of day I was taking the drug and life couldn't be better right now.

Good luck to you.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:51 PM   #8

Mize HB User

I know how you feel. I was ready for a full nights sleep at 2pm every day. Two things help me. Try taking a small 15 minute nap (use an alarm clock if you think you will fall asleep for hours). I find a really deep relaxation for a short time makes me feel refreshed. I also stopped drinking coffee but I do take Green Tea Extract that is sold at GNC or vitamin shoppe and I find that helps me feel awake without any side effects, no jitters or nervousness, and then I usually have a cup of tea around 4 pm just to give a little boost for the rest of the night. Good luck, I hope this helps.

Old 12-07-2004, 01:27 AM   #9
(female)

mousemau HB User

hi there.......this is my own experiance ...i was dx with ms last year and was really fatiged all the time ....i would sleep for a couple of hours in the morning and then in the afternoon...... i just couldn't keep my eyes open .....my neuro thought it was depression but wouldn't give me anything for it (she was into natural stuff)...
in the end my gp said i really needed to do something about it and put me on an antidepresant called zoloft ...it didn't seem to do anything for a while but after about a month i started sleeping better at night and not so much during the day....although i sometimes have a nap in the afternoon if i'm having a really bad day.....but what the hell i guess i need it........take it easy and look after yourself .....let me know how you get on ....(talk to your gp)

Closed Thread