It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2004, 07:40 PM   #1
(female)

franstranges HB User
I feel drunk

Hi guys I know that this must sound stupid but this morning I woke up feeling drunk. (like my brain was three steps behind every move I made) It was kinda amusing this morning but it got much worse after dinner. I have been suffering from ON for almost 6 months now. I can handle the ON fine, but this drunk feeling is a little to much. I have noticed there are a lot of post on this balance issue. Does this sound like the case for me? What do you do to combat this? My MRI is in two weeks and my results wont be in this Jan 03, 2005. I have been working fine with only partial vision in the last 6months , even on the IVs I felt fine to work. But today was the first day I really felt I couldnt do it. Is this normal?
I am sorry I know I am rambling. Maybe I am just nervous because of the MRI in two weeks or that its christmas, I dont know. But I would appreciate hearing your experiences in this.
Thanks
Francesca

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2004, 07:12 AM   #2

Dessell HB User
Re: I feel drunk

Hi Fran,
When I get the drunk feeling(like today) I go back to bed and sleep it off,that works for me.That does you no good if you go to work tho?What meds you on?Let the doc know how your feeling.Wish you well,
Dessell

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2004, 03:29 PM   #3
(female)

franstranges HB User

I am not on any meds at the moment, and if i were to be put on any i would have to work in order to pay for them. I dont have my mri till the 15 but i can handle the blindness just fine, even the lack of depth perception doesnt bother me too much, but this drunk thing is really aggravating. I have noticed in the last two days it is worse after I eat. Is there anything you do to combat this? I am not eating anything unusal, usually eggos for breakfast, subs for lunch and pasta and chicken pitas for dinner nothing weird or new. I drink tea and water but nothingwith sweetner. THe doctors warned em to stay away form that. I dont want to refrain form eating or eat less. That is not healthy at all. I guess I shouldnt freak out till my mri results come back. Thanks forlistening to me ramble jsut this drunk feeling is making me more nervous than I am. Thanks dessell
Ciao
francesca

Old 12-01-2004, 03:46 PM   #4

Dessell HB User

Hello Francesca,
I know its frustrating,especialy while you are waiting for your MRI results.Have you had all the blood work done?Checked out for B12,thyroid,sugar levels?It would seem to me that if you are getting the drunk feeling after eating,,you may have some sugar probs.My mother has had diabetes for 35 years and she still gets very dizzy sometimes after eating,even a good balanced meal and would sometimes fall asleep.I pray your results come back fine and you can get well.
Dessell

Old 12-02-2004, 12:50 AM   #5
(female)

franstranges HB User

yeah i have done all the blood work checked for sugar levels, my thyroid was slightly low but nothing to fuss over. I thoughtit was odd too but maybe its a wrong correlation, I and everyone around me notices its worse after eating. Ahh well we will just have to wait and see.
Just a stupid Question did you ever have ON?
And if so, when your vision was finally coming back did you experience headachesor eye pain?
thanks for the support dessell
francesca

Old 12-02-2004, 10:10 AM   #6

Dessell HB User

Hi Fran,
Good to know you had the blood work,and its not sugar.The doc never said I had ON,but I have left eye blurred vision with floaters and headlights in a dark room.I get migraines and have eye pain,the eye pain comes and goes,usually with some kind of strain or bending over.I am still waiting to get mri on the old brain,my prob was found in my c-spine.Fr insurance reasons I can only get so many mri's,lol,and I have had 2 on my spine this year.Do you have any back pain or balance probs?Keep in touch,
Dessell

Old 12-03-2004, 10:12 AM   #7
(female)

franstranges HB User

oh my the drunk feeling makes my balance ridiculous, but usually only have a few spats of dizziness a year. (but is usually contributed to when i read , if i get up to fast i tend to pass out.)THe eye pain usually occurs whenever my vision was going, or any kind of improvement is made. I usually dont get migraines or headaches, but more recently I do. I have knee pain, but I thought it was for some old injurys (as I broke my leg four times as a kid) But now they are saying this is not the case. My ekgs keep coming back irregular, so i have to see a cardiologist every 6 weeks.When I first developed ON I passed out with chest pain first and within days I lost my vision completely in my right eye. (that was 6 months ago) and i still cannot see enough out of my right eye). Periodically I get the pian in my chest (as if someine kicked my in the middle of my ribs) At this point I dont care what they tell me it is, just tell me something. I typically never get sick, so this is worrying my famliy to death. I went from perfectly healthy to this in a matter of months. How long did it take you for the eye pain and floaters to clear up? days weeks or months??? They told me I would get my eye sight back in about two weeks. (well they really were wrong ont hat one)
Thank you for the support Dessell, I have been going out of my head and its such a touchy issue if i try to talk to anyone in my famliy or friends, they just seem to treat me like I have something fatal, rather than just listen. I mean I know this affects them, but....
Thanks Dessell
Francesca

Old 12-03-2004, 10:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User

francesca,
maybe try a drug called meclazine, it is in Alavert, an over-the-counter medication. i've found it helpful when i have dizziness.

there is some suggestion that MS is aggravated by certain foods: sugar, dairy and gluten (wheat) are the big three. you may want to experiment with your diet.

Old 12-03-2004, 01:19 PM   #9
(female)

franstranges HB User

a lot of people have told me that, the cardiologist has warned me to change my diet, not because i am unhelathly, he just said it may help. He jsut said animal products may be aggravating it, but i have not heard about the gluten. I reallly should get to the neuro about it but because of the lack of neuros in the area i jsut have to sit and wait for the appointments. I mean i jsut dont get it, i am a relativiely healthy 21 year old. I have a twin who now has to worry that if this is ms, she has a higher risk of getting it. Thank you for your suggestion sunshine. I guess it wont hurt me to eat better. Hopefully that works.
Caio

Old 12-05-2004, 12:03 PM   #10

Dessell HB User

Hey Fran,
Its sad that its easier to talk to a stranger than our family,its the same way here,my hubby gets mad and the friends I have talked to stay away now.I am so thankful for this board!
My vision is different day by day,the doc saud the floaters are harmless,and I refuse to take steroids,so I pretty much just deal with it.I am a firm believer that the body will heal itself given the chance,so I am taking vitamins and like sunshine said,trying to eat better.If I could just now get myself to exercise,lol,but my back pain is so bad at times,I do good to get up and out of bed.I get tired of complaining,sorry to dump on here.I do take pain meds that help relieve,,so get to your doc and try some out that may help you.Hope today finds you well,
Dessell

Old 12-08-2004, 08:08 PM   #11
(male)

tattoo31791 HB User

I have had the drunk felloing before. I just take it easy and usaully with will go away, or get at least get to a point that I can function, after ab out an hour or two.

Closed Thread