It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2004, 03:00 PM   #1
(male)

laffer HB User
Do I have MS (I really think so) ?

About a week ago, I got a lot of floaters in my right eye. Then, I started feeling a tingling sensation in my feet and hands (esp. in the hands).
Now, I've started to feel that my left leg is weaker than my right one. It's harder to stand on my left heel than on my right (and quite a lot too).
Well, that's all. Is there any chance that this could be anything else than MS?

Also, about MS.. do all people with MS end up in wheelchairs? How common is it to loose control over your arms and hands and how common is it to loose eyesight on both eyes?
Is it possible to go through life without being too limited by this disease?

Old 12-02-2004, 03:11 PM   #2
(male)

laffer HB User
Re: Do I have MS (I really think so) ?

One more thing.. how big is the chance that I'll be able to play video games my entire life (or at least until I'm 50-60 years old). That's my biggest hobby, and not being able to do that would be horrible!
I would really appreciate an answer.. I'm scared ********!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2004, 04:16 PM   #3
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

Hi Laffer,
There are lots of things that could cause your symptoms. You need to start with your regular doctor and have him run some blood test for things such as thyroid, Lymes and Vit B-12 levels.

I wouldn't worry about MS at this point. But to put your mind at ease, many people with MS never end up in a wheelchair and many retain good use of their hands. It is an extremely variable disorder and affects everybody differently. But like I said, I wouldn't worry about MS right now.

Feel free to come here for support or answers to your questions. We'll help if we can.

Julie

Old 12-03-2004, 04:55 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

kirafaye HB User

have an MRI too! It migth be what I have that shows all classic symptoms of MS..........ACM (arnold chiari malformation) which they can help abit with surgery...as for MS my uncle has it and he barly uses a cane and he's had it for years.....its differetn for everyone.

Old 12-03-2004, 08:00 AM   #5
(male)

laffer HB User

Thanks for the kind words
I really do think I have MS, though.. I feel there's something awfully wrong with me. I read somewhere that if you have symptoms like heavy legs and difficulties moving, that indicates a more serious case of MS
Do you have any tips regarding medicines and what I should take if I have MS? There seems to be a jungle out there.

Also, do any of you have a hope that there will be a cure for MS? Do you know anything about the current state of research?
Or do they make so much money making MS drugs that they don't want to invent a cure?

Thanks,
- ōystein (laffer)

Last edited by laffer; 12-03-2004 at 08:00 AM.

Old 12-03-2004, 08:31 AM   #6
(male)

laffer HB User

Oh, and one more thing. This one is to people with the most normal kind of MS, which gets quite worse over time.. how do you live with it? How do you overcome the depression? I imagine that's the hardest part. I get depressed really easily, and my greatest fear is to be depressed for the rest of my life. It could very well end very badly.
All help highly appreciated!

Old 12-03-2004, 09:26 AM   #7
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

Hi Laffer,
I'm not going to go into the hypothetical progressions of MS with somebody who may not have MS. Why borrow trouble?

You really should go to a doctor and let them start sorting through the possibilities. Like kirafaye said, an MRI would be helpful in a diagnosis along with a lumbar puncture if your doctor thinks it is a possibility you have MS.

The road to an MS diagnosis can be long, so hang in there and keep digging for answers.

Julie
P.s. Depression in people with MS is treated the same as depression in a person without MS - counselling and/or medications.

Closed Thread