It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2004, 06:20 PM   #1
(female)

JenBer HB User
Is a spinal tap the answer?

My husband has been suffering for years with his condition worsening every month. He has degenerative disc disease, numbness and tingling in arms and legs. He has alot of trouble with his bowels and bladder. He is fatigued all the time, constantly is having sinus infections, says his arms feel like hes been weight lifting, terrible itching in his hands, enormous weight loss, has been rushed to the emergency room several times for heart attack like pain and has constant pain in his back. The list goes on. He has been tested for everything. Not one doctor has been able to help. He is currently seeing a nuerologist who suspected MS, he did an MRI, but there were no leisions. He is currently treating him with Lexapro, Celebrex and Provigil. Well on Tuesday my husband was walking and his legs just gave way. Luckily he caught himself and was unharmed, but he was scared. He said it felt like he suddenly had no legs. He is seeing the doctor on Monday due to this incident and I was wondering if he should go ahead and have a spinal tap done. Does anyone know if this would show MS? Do leisions always show up on MRI's? I'm becoming more concerned since this latest incident. Any advice would be greatly appreciated? Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2004, 09:34 PM   #2

anseay HB User
Re: Is a spinal tap the answer?

Yes...When they take the fluid off of the spine they also take some off of the brain. When it's tested it's not only for ms but for other deaeases. Ms and alot of other thing mimic each other and each one has to be ruled out. If it is ms the base line is set. Spinal tap sounds scary but it a cake walk. I've had 2 sepaeate spianals done with and without contrast. The procedure isn't bad. Just request that the doctor that is ordering the test have orders in for something for a headache in case if he develops one. As for the celebrex (been there done that) request a mri of the C & L- spine if not done to rule out other problems. If it's ms the neuro will order them for a base line. Another thing I can suggest is have your gp order NMR LipoProfile Report. It's a very indebth blood work up. ms-network.com has clinical objectives and diagnostic procedures -more of less guide lines for diagnosis. I myself have 7 brain leisons/clear spinal fluid/clean c & l spine with one occurance of opitic neuropithy, and now the ms is playing around with my bp and heart rate on the ekg/ no blockages found, ms is a hard desease to diagnose and the best advice I can give you is start a dayly diary of what/ when/ where/ how. Your dealing with a puzzel and the answers might lay in the ink. If not answers at least more questions will arise> Good luck and god speed on finding out what is wrong. And try not to stress out about it, that's the worse thing you can do! I see a picnic in the near future or you two doings something like going to the park and reading a book to the other one. Rest / Relax/ and enjoy each other and LIFE! Good-luck!!

Last edited by anseay; 12-05-2004 at 09:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2004, 05:02 AM   #3
(female)

accudata HB User

I just had a spinal tap done last week. It was not bad at all. They advised me to drink alot the day before the procedure, especially caffeine. I was drinking it like a fiend. I really had absolutely no headache. Although I was very careful about resting the evening of the procedure. The next day I felt slightly achy and I still get a slight senseation in my head when I bend over. However, the procedure was uneventful and I would do it again, as I really need to know the answer.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:18 AM   #4

anseay HB User

Well accudata:
Don't leave us in suspence here. What's the outcome was the fluid clean. I definenaly have ms and mine was. So I guess I've got a base line set. What's your dr. saying. Like to talk longer , but gotta go. be back this afternoon.

Closed Thread