It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2004, 07:55 PM   #1
(male)

tattoo31791 HB User
GA Boy that would like some help.

I am very new to this board (just reg'd). My problem started the weekend of halloween. Just some tingling and numbness in me foot. I just thought I pulled something or stepped wrong. By mid week it was my entire left leg. I went to My family Doctor. She did some X-rays to see if anything was out of line. They showed nothing. She sent me for a MRI. I was to go back and see her, but she called me and told me that the MRI came back and she was concerned and had got me an appointment with a Neuro. . He did a physical exam and recommended a spinal tap. Well I had that done last week and will not do that ever again. I have never responded to pain meds. and it hurt like #%$@. I ended up going back to the ER for a blood patch. THey informed that they removed 17 cc of fluid. I have no clue how much they should remove, but I hope that was enough. I was on my back for 3 days.

I go back to see this dr on the 21st of Dec. He has not made me feel like I can truly trust him. I am in the Albany, GA area and have no problem traveling anywhere in the state or to surronding states to see a Doctor that will give it to me straight.

Can someone out there please give me some guidance on what to ask, what to look for, signs to find another doctor, and recommend a doctor for me to see. They have not told me that it is MS or told me that it is not. I just feel like I need a second opinion. I am also a little nervous about this whole thing. I would apperciate any guidance, knowledge, or experiences that people have. My symptoms seemd to match the signs of MS more than anything else that I have read about. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2004, 09:28 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

kirafaye HB User
Re: GA Boy that would like some help.

there are other things that mimic thos esymptoms, people here have mentioned prenacious anemia, but if she was concerend about ur MRI I doubt its that. I'm on here cause I have classic MS symptoms and truelly though it was that till diagnosis...... I have arnold chiari1 malformation and that mimics MS symptoms to the letter.........

I'd wait to see what the spinal tap reveals cause they do that for MS and not for ACM and if u have a bad feelign about the doctors of course seek a 2nd opinion. I'm form Aus so can;t help u with doctors and will leave that up to others. But if u do have MS don;t worry as you can see by the lovely people on the board here there are ways to manage it, my uncle has it so I have a pretty close view, plus first hadn experiance with the pain and nuero problems involved.

Old 12-08-2004, 07:11 PM   #3
(female)

hpygrl HB User

Hey Ga boy,
I am so sorry you are going through this! I am also new to the process and trying to learn if what I have is MS. I had a MRI that came back normal. I am now going to a neuro and was assuming he would do a spinal tap. I am a little afraid now because you said it hurt a lot. Do they not numb the area?
Thanks, Jacqui

Old 12-08-2004, 07:11 PM   #4
(female)

hpygrl HB User

Hey Ga boy,
I am so sorry you are going through this! I am also new to the process and trying to learn if what I have is MS. I had a MRI that came back normal. I am now going to a neuro and was assuming he would do a spinal tap. I am a little afraid now because you said it hurt a lot. Do they not numb the area?
Thanks, Jacqui

Old 12-08-2004, 07:11 PM   #5
(female)

hpygrl HB User

Hey Ga boy,
Thanks, Jacqui

Old 12-08-2004, 07:26 PM   #6
(female)

hpygrl HB User

Have idea why you got my message 3xs, sorry, J

Old 12-08-2004, 07:40 PM   #7
(male)

tattoo31791 HB User

Jacgui5,
Yes they numb the area and for most people it does not hurt unless that have a problem afterwards and do not follow the doctors instructions. My problem it that I AM NOT AFFECTTED BY ANY PAIN MED. OR LOCAL ANIT. This causes problems at the Dentist, getting stitches, you name it. It is something that I got from my mother's side of the family. All the men on that side have the same problem. I just have it worse than my Uncle and Grandfather (they at least will feel some relief for the stronger meds). My grandfather's father had the samething. I have been told that it goes back as far as anyone can remeber. I wish that some doctor would tell me if this had a name, but none of them ever have. I had a dentist one time tell me that He was going to give me some pain med that would work. After 2 hours of Morphin, I told him that he should just go ahead and take out my wisdom teeth. He did and laid there and suffered the whole time.

Sorry for that long ramble. They will numb your back and can give you something for the butterflies in your stomach. Just remember to lay on your back as much as you can and drink ( my doctor suggested 3 quart) of liquid that is loaded with caffine (not coffee). and you should be fine. Here is a link to some stuff about Lumbar Punctures (Spinal Taps). If they do not work, just go to [url]www.*****.com[/url] and type "spinal tap" in the search book.

[url]http://my.*****.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/hw234563.asp[/url]
[url]http://my.*****.com/content/article/57/66115.htm[/url]

Keep me (us) posted on the results. And I am not sure why it was posted three times.

Last edited by tattoo31791; 12-08-2004 at 07:42 PM.

Old 12-09-2004, 04:39 AM   #8

Dessell HB User

Hi Tattoo,
reading your post made me think,lol,I have'nt found a med to rid my pain either,I also had my tooth pulled over the summer,he numbed me I bet at least 3 times,did'nt work so like you I just said pull the damn thing,lol.Last year I was put under to get my throat and stomach looked at,and woke up during the procedure with that long tube like camera thingy,lol,down my mouth,freaked the doc out! I know I have a high tolerence to pain,but wonder if ms has to do with meds not working like they should,hmmm,just another thing to wonder about.Wish you well,Dessell

Old 12-09-2004, 12:23 PM   #9

ROpticNeuritis HB User

I also had a blood patch following my Spinal Tap, what fun, huh? It is a lengthy process, which requires waiting for results from the tests. It is hard to not worry because you have plenty of time to! Just try to take a deep breath and getting a second opinion is usually helpful regardless of how you feel about the doc. Good luck to you!

Old 12-09-2004, 04:46 PM   #10
(male)

tattoo31791 HB User

Dessell,
I am glad to hear that someone else does not respond to pain meds. I do not think it has anything to do with MS for me. I have been this way for as long as I can remember. My parents tell me that I was this way as a toddler.

ROpticNeuritis,
Yeah "what fun, huh" is right. I do hate the lenghty process, as I work in a fast paced industry, where everthing changes by the day or so it seems that way. I am a consultant and I deal with sales people and the clients before the sale. After the sales, I get the calls when something breaks. My fellow workers call me "The Fireman", because I waste no time in resolving any issue.

Thanks both of you.

Closed Thread