It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2004, 01:29 PM   #1
(male)

Ryguy1 HB User
Are these MS symptoms?

Hi everyone. I posted the following in the Heart forum, and someone suggested I might run it by the MS forum instead. Here goes:

"I'm afraid I'm becoming a hypochondriac. I've been having chest pains and heart palpitations for more than a month now, and after numerous visits to the ER and my family doctor, I'm at my wit's end. To date, I've had five EKGs, two chest X-rays, two series of blood work, and a 24-hour heart monitor. All results have been normal, but the symptoms seem to be coming more frequently and intensely as time goes by.

I have chest pain every day, generally in the area of my left pectoral muscle, but often spreading to my shoulder, back, neck and jaw. I have frequent heart palpitations, especially when I lie down, that are usually so bad that I can't get to sleep. My heart races for no apparent reason -- sometimes going over 100 bpm while at rest. I have frequent headaches and lightheadedness. Muscles all over my body twitch involuntarily all the time, and I often get sharp pains at different spots all over my body which only last for a few seconds. I also experience extreme fatigue throughout the day. And just today I've experienced severely blurred vision in my right eye.

Numerous doctors have checked me out, and they all say I'm physically fine.
I have been diagnosed with a combination of depression and anxiety, and have started taking Remeron as a treatment. It has helped me get to sleep easier, but my other symptoms have either remained the same or gotten worse. With all the tests I've had, what more could be wrong with me? I guess I'm having a hard time rationalizing that such profound physical symptoms could be caused by my head alone.

Is it possible there is something physical that hasn't been ruled out by all the tests I've had, or is this all in my mind? Please help me before I go crazy.

I'm an otherwise healthy 26-year-old male. I'm perhaps 15-20 pounds overweight, and my BP is usually normal, though it's been as high as 138/98 when I have having one of these "attacks.""

Since I originally posted this, two different doctors have done a battery of manual neurological tests on me, which were all fine. Is manual testing comprehensive enough to rule out MS? For that matter, is there such thing as a conclusive test for MS?

Thank you all for taking the time out to read this.

-Ryan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2004, 01:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User
Re: Are these MS symptoms?

hi ryan, im in a similar situation but with out the pain in chest. i worry about having ms. it seems your a bit anxious probably because you dont know whats wrong which is causing your heart to race. I am waiting for mri to find out whats wrong with me. if its neg then i will be reffered to rhumi. i asked that as i could have fibro. they only diagnose with fibro when all tests are clear. check fibro board out. im normally on there, take care, april xx

Old 12-10-2004, 01:52 PM   #3
(female)

MichelleRose HB User

Hi Ryan, Ms Is Very Hard To Diagnos And The Symptoms Mimic Other, Usually Rare Disorders, I New To All Of This Also, When I Had My First Attack, It Was My Chest That Hurt And I Also Had A Racing Heart Beat Just As You Described, So When I Went To The Er All They Did Was Concentrate On My Heart And Not My Other Symptoms, The Leg Weakness And Pain, The Twitches, Etc. It's Not Dec. I Still Don't Have A Definite Dx, But My Neurologist. Says All The Signs Point That Way. Just As Stated Before You Need To Keep A Diary Of All You Pains And Symptoms. That Way You Will Know What To Tell The Doctor. Don't Give Up! Keep On Your Neuro. Anytime Anything Changes Let Him/her Know! Good Luck To You!

Old 12-10-2004, 03:18 PM   #4

Dessell HB User

Hi Ryguy,
I know you must be frustrated especially when your body is doing strange things!Anxiety will do alot to a body,but if you feel its something else,try to get referred to a neuor.They will do blood work,maybe a mri.There are so many things that can cause your symptoms and there is nothing wrong with getting a good check-up.I just found that I have had MS for years a did'nt realize it.In the early years I would have symptoms that came and go,and being young I blew them off.4 years ago ,with cronic back pain,I went to get checked out.Just this summer,I finally found out what was wrong,,going thru blood tests ,mri's.It might be good to start a daily journal of symptoms and realize it takes awhile to be dx'd if it is MS.I went thru 5 doc's before I found one who would listen.Its hard but be patient,it will make it easier on you.Wish you well,Dessell

Old 12-11-2004, 11:47 AM   #5
(male)

Ryguy1 HB User

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'll take the advice to heart.

Old 12-11-2004, 12:40 PM   #6
(female)

heather maul HB User

This question is for Dessell. I have not been to the doctor yet but all the symptoms I have make me think that I have ms. What medication are you on and when were you diagnosed. People can live long healthy lives with this disorder right.

Thanks Heather

Closed Thread