It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2004, 01:44 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User
ms heridetry?

hi all, whats the chance of my grandfather,dad and me having ms? does it work like that? or more like fibro? im piecing things together to work out our health history. my grandad had epilepsy and used to shake constantly, not sure why but i know not parkinsons. My dad has unknown symptoms like me, put it down to stress, occasional blurred vision,blackouts, tingling,numness,panic attacks, neack,shoulders,back pain(like me). I have history of deppression,panic attacks. then afer childbirth, tingling,migraines,shooting pains,aches, any one have any ideas?? dad had cat scan years ago which was clear. love aprilxx

Old 12-14-2004, 04:34 AM   #2
(female)

Ratpuppy1 HB User
Re: ms heridetry?

Cat Scans tell you nothing when looking MS symptoms. In my opinion, when a doctor orders a cat scan after you tell him all your woes, he is actually telling you he doesn't care and to go away. My neuro told me they tell him absoulutely nothing. He said all they tell you is that you have a brain. (period) Makes me angry because they cost so much. Avoid that big bill...refuse Cat Scans if looking for MS. xoxoxoxo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2004, 09:57 AM   #3
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

Hi April,
The current theory is that there is a genetic predisposition to MS, but the MS itself is not hereditary. What causes MS is still not known, though there are various theories.

Julie

Old 12-14-2004, 03:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

would it be common for us 3 to have or be rare? cheers, love aprilx

Old 12-14-2004, 03:44 PM   #5
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

MS is often seen in multiple family members as the odds of developing MS greatly increase when a family member has it. We have two members with it for sure, and one more possible MS. Sometimes you'll also see a variety of autoimmune disorders running through a family.

Researchers are looking for the genetic factor that could be a predictor, but they are not quite there yet. With the way medical knowledge is growing exponentially, I wouldn't be surprised if they find that marker soon.

Regards,
Julie

Old 12-14-2004, 04:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

thanks julie. would that be the same with fibro? do your symptoms increase when your due period?> thanks alot, april x

Old 01-07-2005, 08:43 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

hi al, i thought id bump this post again as id like any new people to add to it if they can. Also, update. My symptoms have increased, twitching. thats it, i have lost weight and its helped. sugar increases symptoms. my dad has has symptoms for years, about 5-6, not progressed really like me. does it sound like ms we have or more like fibro? its so strange we both have this. thanks, april xx

Old 01-07-2005, 09:56 AM   #8

Chinacat1973 HB User

hello

In my research I have found studies showing thats if some family members have auto-immune dieases than you may be likly to have some also.

Are they inherited? The genes people inherit contribute to their susceptibility for developing an autoimmune disease. Certain diseases such as psoriasis can occur among several members of the same family. This suggests that a specific gene or set of genes predisposes a family member to psoriasis. In addition, individual family members with autoimmune diseases may inherit and share a set of abnormal genes, although they may develop different autoimmune diseases

some auot immune dieases:
psoriasis lupus
thyroid disorder crohns
diabetes type 1 atrhritis
ms fibro

Hope this help in yr journey to find answers..

wishing u good health

east coast canada
ChinaCat
ms

Old 01-10-2005, 01:31 AM   #9
(female)

mousemau HB User

hi there.....i am dx with ms ...my youngest son has fibro and his daughter has psorsis
i don't know if it means anything though

Old 01-12-2005, 02:49 AM   #10
(female)

midlsister HB User

Hi My Older Sister Has Ms My Younger Has Mg & Myself Ms. Scans Are Not Always Definative. I Can Appreciate Your Frustration. My Nuero Said It Is Not Hereditary But It Is Commmon For Ms To Run In Families. (genetic Pre Disposition I Guess)

Old 01-12-2005, 11:17 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

hi, that must be awful. what does mg mean?

Old 01-12-2005, 11:19 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

also, i remember my grandad shaking all the time, whole body. always did, similar to parkinsons but it wasnt that mom said, they never new what. he had epilepsy though. could this shaking be a ms symptom? i know fibro you can have seizures too. love april x

Old 01-12-2005, 11:05 PM   #13
(female)

midlsister HB User

MG is myostenia gravis is similar in a way to MS. Excuse the spelling.

Closed Thread