It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2004, 04:02 AM   #1
(female)

ladydi1953 HB User
MS Severe Itching

I have relapsing remitting MS. My biggest and practically only problem is severe itching in my upper arms. My neurologist has not been able to help with this. Is there anyone out there with a remedy or suggestion. I need some sleep. Thanks.

[ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ]

Dianna

Last edited by moderator2; 12-14-2004 at 07:38 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2004, 09:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User
Re: MS Severe Itching

you may have already tried this but you might want to try an antihistamine...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2004, 07:55 AM   #3
(female)

ladydi1953 HB User

thank you but i've tried antihistamines, and numerous anti seizure meds used to mask the symptoms......thanks again for your contribution...........di

Old 12-16-2004, 12:59 PM   #4
(female)

tiresome HB User

I too get strange itching on several different parts of my body. Never all of them at once thank goodness. My chest, palms, bottoms of my feet (I am very ticklish there so scratching can be comical ) and my forearms and under my arms when extremely upset or nervous. It becomes more intense if I scratch and also seems to attack at night when I am trying to go to sleep. I have tried anti-itch creams, cortizone, lotion, all didn't help. But a cool washcloth seems to help enough that I don't scratch, not scratching is the key for me. It is hard not to but it only becomes worse if I do. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Sincerely,
Laura

Old 12-16-2004, 03:19 PM   #5
(female)

ladydi1953 HB User

thanks for the reply laura..........my itching is confined to my upper arms from elbow to shoulder........its a biting/itching sensation that no amount of scratching can touch.......i have also used cold packs but they do not help......thanks again for answering.........

Old 12-16-2004, 08:00 PM   #6
(female)

camillec HB User

try goldbond lotion it helped me
camille

Old 12-17-2004, 07:07 AM   #7
(female)

ladydi1953 HB User

thank you will pick some up you never know what will work or where the cure is going to come from....

Old 12-22-2004, 08:17 PM   #8
(female)

Mom2Adam&Katie HB User

I thought the severe itching was just me! I used a prescription cream that contains a mix of 3% hydrocortisone (sp?) and Aquaphor lotion. It was actually prescribed to my daughter when she was 3 months old and I thought I would give it a try. It works great, but I do need to apply it a few times a day. My itching is on the right side of my back and on the right side of my chest by my ribs. It gets worse when I wear a bra, due to the itchy areas being where the bra goes. If you can't get an RX, try making your own, with the strongest hydrocortisone cream you can buy OTC and mix with the Aquaphor yourself. HTH some!!

Heather

Old 12-25-2004, 05:22 AM   #9
(female)

ladydi1953 HB User

thank you i'll give it a try..........you never know where the cure will come from......unfortuately my biting itiching sensation is under the skin but maybe this will work........thank you.......merry christmas

Old 12-25-2004, 05:52 AM   #10
(female)

camillec HB User

good morning and merry christmas to you and you family. i had that same itch. under the skin mine was near the shoulder blade and to near my right arm it was under the skin as well with no rash or bumps my neuro did not know what to think of it. as i said in an earlier post i used the gold bond body lotion and maybe its coincidentle but it went away. does you skin where it itches have a strange feeling like its not your skin there? mine did at the time. as if it was not my skin. so far so good its been close to a month no itchies camille

Old 12-26-2004, 09:24 AM   #11
(female)

ladydi1953 HB User

i feel like there is something crawling and biting under my skin......i just purchased some aquaphor lotion and will be getting some cortisone cream at 2.5% to mix with it as suggested to me here yesterday.....the gold bond cream worked a little......i got some sleep anyway....thanks again and happy holidays to you also
di

Old 12-27-2004, 07:46 PM   #12
(male)

tattoo31791 HB User

I had the same Biting/Itching on my right arm, just under my elbow. My wife is a nurse in a OB/GYN Office and the Labor Delivery unit of the Hospital and mentioned to that I should ask about Elavil. It worked. It is a antidepressant that My wife said was used for many other things than depression. She said that out of all the people that they have put on it. None of them was taking for depression. I still get the itching when I get hot or overwork myself, but it is about 100 times less painful. I tired creams, but none of them worked, I never did try the Gold Bond, that someone mentioned. Good Luck. Let me know if you find something that does not require a Rx.

Old 12-28-2004, 09:12 AM   #13
(female)

johnandbeth HB User

You might want to check out this site - [url] removed - websites with boards not allowed [/url]

Looks like this is kind of common for MS. And there are some medications that can help - your neurologist should be able to advise you on these.

Beth

Last edited by moderator2; 12-28-2004 at 09:48 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules

Old 12-31-2004, 12:57 PM   #14
(female)

cab_64 HB User

HI...don't know if this was flukey or not but it worked for me. i've had relapse/remission MS for 14 yrs diagnosed and at least a few before that (no relapses in 7 yrs, taking Copaxone daily) but as to the itching. when experiencing EXTREME itching during a relapse while taking prednisone....so not sure if the itching was MS or a side effect, i tried using Hydroxyzine, left over from when i'd had chicken pox a few months earlier. the relief was almost instantaneous. hope this helps
C

Old 01-07-2005, 11:14 AM   #15

Chinacat1973 HB User

wow...I never link this new itching to a possiable systom....

I went for my 2nd MRi w/contrast today...1st was in 01 after having Optic neuritis.

My hands get soooo itchy I thought I caught something from work,(call center of 1200 ppl) but it happens at night. scratchin jus makes it worse. there is no rash or anything...my GP said it was mostly a reaction to a new produst in my home..but I have not used a new products such as faberic softener or laundry soap...no new bath product either.

I will be more aware.

Hope all is well

east coast canada
ChinaCat

Closed Thread