It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2004, 06:15 PM   #1
(female)

tiresome HB User
spinal tap?

Hi all, tomorrow I go a nuerologist who specializes with MS. Yes, the day is almost here, after a almost 8 week wait. I am taking all my MRI's that I have had done in the last 10 years, the journal I have been keeping (since march), and pages full of symptoms and questions that I have. Even though I feel like I have prepared myself as much as I can, I must admit I am nervous. My primary doctor says he is worth the wait, I sure hope so. She said she would let him order the spinal tap as they have a better lab.
My question is: How long does it take to get the results back? I can't help but feel impatient as the last several months have been hell and I just want them to figure out what it is and give me the meds it will take to get my life and health back to normal. If he just gives me something to return my eyesight back to normal, that would be great! I know I can't expect too much of him tomorrow since this is the first time visit. Please say a little prayer for me, that they figure it out and help me. Thanks to all of you. This board has helped me to know that I am not alone and there are kind people out there who care.
Sincerely,
Laura

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2004, 06:47 AM   #2

Dessell HB User
Re: spinal tap?

Hi Laura,
It took a couple days for my results,but it may vary with each doc.The wait feels like forever when you are worried.I will say a prayer,be sure to come back and let us know how it goes.
Dessell

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2004, 07:20 AM   #3

Adriane25 HB User

I had mine done in January 12 and got my results back on February 2. My tests were normal, but a couple weeks ago they found a lesion in my spinal cord. I am awaiting MRI results for my brain (second one after a year). I asked my neuro if spinal tap is foolproof in detecting MS and he said it is 100% accurate. But I keep reading medical studies and a few people in this forum agree, the spinal tap will not always tell if you have MS. Studies are now showing that an MRI is the best way to get a better picture. Now don't get me wrong about spinal taps, they may be a useful procedure in diagnosis, but in my opinion I'm not putting my money on it. What are your MRI's telling anyway?

Old 12-15-2004, 10:44 AM   #4
Veteran

baddoey HB User

what I have found through research and talking to people is that with MS there is no definate. . you can have a clear spinal tap and have MS (I had a clean spinal - my doc said about 30% do), you can even have a clean MRI and have MS (this is more unlikely). . it is like putting together a puzzle and after the rule everything else out, MS seems like a default DX. . what does this mean? means lots of folks end up in limbo. . they don't know what causes it, don't know how to cure it. . and aren't that great on diagnosing it. .

Old 12-16-2004, 07:58 PM   #5
(female)

camillec HB User

i had a spinal tap 2 months ago (pain less) the fluid was clear like water. however it tested positive for ms they do various testing and correlating blood. i was surprized.i expected it to be normal because it was clear. when i had that follow up 2 weeks afterwards i thought he would say it was normal. my mri was abnormal, my veps were normal. oh well i was in denial for a little while, until reality set in when i had to start treatment. camille

Closed Thread