It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2004, 11:13 AM   #1
(female)

hpygrl HB User
MS & DIET

Does anyone have any good info on MS and diet. I have heard that food plays a huge role with some people.
I have yet to find out if I have it but in the meantime I notice different symptoms when I eat certain foods, lemon juice for example. What is the ideal diet?
thanks

Old 12-15-2004, 11:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User
Re: MS & DIET

hi, i have a health food book, it has stuff in there. il have a look in there and post it. i know it said key to keeping ms minimum symptoms is diet, love april x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2004, 11:33 AM   #3
(female)

hpygrl HB User

Thanks April

Old 12-15-2004, 11:34 AM   #4
(female)

MichelleRose HB User

April, That Would Be Great If You Would Post Some Of The Diet Things! Or Let Us Know What The Book Is You Have. Thanks

Old 12-15-2004, 12:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User

There is something called the SWANK diet and there are several books on it. The basic things to avoid are: alcohol, caffeine, refined sugar, high fat, gluten and diary products. When I have tried eliminating these things, I have felt a lot better.

Old 12-15-2004, 03:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

hi guys, certainly. here i go!!

take plenty of GREEN LEAFY VEGETABLES
ORANGES FOR FOLATE AND VIT C
WATER TO AVOID CONSTIPATION
OILY FISH OR FISH OIL SUPPLEMENT FOR OMEGA FREE FATTTY ACIDS

CUT DOWN ON; saturated fats, full dairy products,fatty red meat

AVOID; ALCOHOL AND SMOKING

DOING THIS SHOULD HELP CONTROL SOME OF SYMPTOMS OF MS AND COMPLICATIONS

IT MENTIONS SWANK DIET, NAMED AFTER A PROFFESOR, LOW FAT ONE. hope this helps you all!!! xxxapril x

Old 12-15-2004, 05:29 PM   #7
(female)

MichelleRose HB User

Thanks for the info. April! I'm going to try it! MichelleRose

Old 12-15-2004, 05:31 PM   #8
(female)

hpygrl HB User

Thanks April, that was very kind of you!
Jacqui

Old 12-16-2004, 12:45 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

thats ok, any thing i can do to help, you have all been very helpful to me. love april xx

Old 12-19-2004, 11:24 AM   #10
(female)

accudata HB User

I have just been diagnosed within the past week and with prior investigating I have come across the listed diet support for MS. I have had symptoms for 6 years, but have never aggressively pursuited it until lately with I developed burning, pains, tingling, etc. MRI's or brain were not even significant. Took a spinal tap to confirm. I knew that it was MS. MD had previously said no by the brain MRI, but everything was fitting together like a puzzle.

I am definitely sticking to the diet. If anything it can only help me.

[url]www.ms-diet.org[/url]
The Multiple Sclerosis Diet by Roy Swank - found on Amazon
[url]www.swankmsdiet.org[/url]

Old 12-20-2004, 06:50 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

hi accudata, can i ask what your tingling was like and where?? cheers, a very worried young mom in pain xx

Old 12-20-2004, 07:00 AM   #12
(female)

hpygrl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by accudata
I have just been diagnosed within the past week and with prior investigating I have come across the listed diet support for MS. I have had symptoms for 6 years, but have never aggressively pursuited it until lately with I developed burning, pains, tingling, etc. MRI's or brain were not even significant. Took a spinal tap to confirm. I knew that it was MS. MD had previously said no by the brain MRI, but everything was fitting together like a puzzle.

I am definitely sticking to the diet. If anything it can only help me.

[url]www.ms-diet.org[/url]
The Multiple Sclerosis Diet by Roy Swank - found on Amazon
[url]www.swankmsdiet.org[/url]

Hi, I have also suffered for a few years from symptoms and just started procedures to find out if its MS. mri was neg and I am hoping a spinal tap will confirm either way. my doc does not believe it's ms so I am very frustrated. Do you have floaters?
Thanks
hpygrl

Old 12-20-2004, 12:38 PM   #13

trufaith777 HB User
Thumbs up Re: MS & DIET

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpygrl
Does anyone have any good info on MS and diet. I have heard that food plays a huge role with some people.
I have yet to find out if I have it but in the meantime I notice different symptoms when I eat certain foods, lemon juice for example. What is the ideal diet?
thanks
When i was first diagnosed in 99 my chiropractor told me to try a diet of completely natural foods meaning not cooked or processed so i switched to veggies and fruits. you have to make sure you eat some protein but believe it or not you don't need meat for that. mixing raw nuts-almonds is also a source of protein and you can add that to your salad. it is a little hard at first but it is well worth it. i also stopped dairy completely. i was completely symptom free for a year and not one cold and just for a bonus my period went away. at first i went thru withdraw but i started enjoying the tastey fruit and raw veggies and by the way raw corn on the cob is awesome. just try it. you'll see. it took about 3 months and just another bonus i lost 25 lbs. how's that for a diet that works. takes some self control but if that's all it costs it was well worth the work. i am now trying to get back on it. advice to anyone who wants to do this-don't let anyone discourage you and just remember- youre doint this to make yourself feel better! Good luck
annie

Closed Thread