It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2004, 09:44 PM   #1

anseay HB User
Question Liver function

Well I've been a pain on here enough to just cut to the chase! I got a call from my gp today that the liver functions are off. How bad I don't know, but I was on Balcofen, stopped that about a week ago.
I was on lipator 40 mg, stop that today.
I was on nispan 500 mg, stop that today
I stop tylenol today.
the one beer on saturday night is gone also.
The only thing I'm on is the Rebif 44mcg started in August 2004
After calling the health nurse she said that the rebif was the most important and that they wanted to see if the rebif was the problem. Has anyone else been there. If so what were your treatment options at that point. More blood work up in 10 days to find out for sure.

Old 12-17-2004, 12:31 PM   #2

Dessell HB User
Re: Liver function

Hi Anseay,
So sorry to hear about the liver.I really worry about that with my boy,he has been on Baclafen for over a year now,gets blood checked every six months.Did you get routine blood work or was you having pain in the liver area?My son has a communication disorder so its hard for him to tell me of any pain,thats why I ask others.You poor thang,sure seems you been thru alot!
Wish you well,
Dessell

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2004, 12:43 PM   #3

anseay HB User

I had blood work up done on 10-29-04 and then again on 12-14-04. Funny about your posting comming in at this time. I'm waiting to hear from the doctor now, the pain has just started. Man does the inside of my ribcage hurt like hell on the right. I called the health nurse yesterday and she said that they were cutting everything out but the rebif. Well the call just came in and I've got to go to the cancer center for an ultrasound to check things out, and they will look at the galbadder to. Wish me luck.
thanks for the come back

Last edited by anseay; 12-17-2004 at 12:43 PM.

Old 12-17-2004, 02:16 PM   #4
Veteran

whatamess@35 HB User

{{{{{{{{{[anseay}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
I am sorry to hear of your troubles with your liver~
I have no experience in this dept..I just wanted to let you know ..I am thinking of you and sending prayers your way~
I hope everything turns out ok for you~~

Old 12-17-2004, 03:28 PM   #5

Dessell HB User

Anseay,
I hope all goes well for you I wanted to let you in on an old wive's tale,I been doing it and I give it to my son,1 tbsp of vinegar a day.My grandma told me to do it,she lived to be 98.It naturally cleans the liver and kidneys,so they say,would'nt hurt to try specially with all the meds we are on.I sure hope you are ok,
Dessell

Old 12-17-2004, 05:29 PM   #6

anseay HB User

Well I just got home from the hospital and the ultrasound that they did show that the apathic cycst that they thought would rupture and the liver desolve, things just didn't go as they plan. My gp was hoping that that it was the gallbladder. The radiologist is suppose to call the doctor at home when he reads the films. I guess I get the call tomarrow or Monday. I've know about the cyst since 3/2003. This is the third ultrasound that they have done on it and I was suppose to have had one back 6 months ago but was never called about the scheduale and I just didn't follow through to see what it was doing, but since there was no problem with the liver inzines they let it fly, also. I let my gp know about the cycst over a year ago and also let my neuro. know. I quess the lipitor, balcofen,rebif, and niaspan have just cought up with each other. I'm sitting here thinking do I do tonights injection of rebif? I know that by monday at the lattest they are going to round up the other ultrasounds and measure the size. My chrystal ball tells me there is a needle biopsy in the very near future. But you know I think I'm alright with it. I grew up my whole life knowing that every male heir on my father's side died of cancer, that went lymphatic, I knew the risk when I when on the rebif, I really didn't know the risk of the Bacolfen, or the niaspan. Rebif states that it will cause lymphoma. How many cards are in a deck. I think I just found the joker.
when I told my father sister about the ms her words were "oh no , it has jumped the gene pool over from males to females. I laugh at the ms, but I don't know how to laugh at this. All of the doctors knew about the cycst.................................
IS THIS ANOTHER MEDICAL CRACK!.......... ...................
THANK'S YOU GUY'S FOR ALL OF THE KIND WORDS AND PRAYS, THEY MEAN ALOT RIGHT NOW

Last edited by anseay; 12-17-2004 at 05:32 PM.

Old 12-17-2004, 06:10 PM   #7

Dessell HB User

Hi ,
I was checking on you,I don't know what to say.Sorry to hear they found something,so they don't know if the cyst is cancer?I pray it is'nt.I am thinking of slowly taking my son off the baclafen,he gets real crabby without it.Keep that positive attitude and I will look for your posts,Dessell

Old 12-17-2004, 06:13 PM   #8

anseay HB User

HELLO DESSELLE
THANKS MAYBE THIS WILL HELP YOU, KEEP IN MIND i'M TRYING TO GUIDE YOU ON WHERE TO FEEL YOUR SON. TURN HIM ON HIS LEFT SIDE AND PLACE A PILLOW UNDER HIS MID-DRIFT. THIS WAY HIS BODY IS AT A SORT OF CURVE. START AT THE BOTTOM MOST RIB ON HIS RIGHT SIDE, STAYING NEAR THE BOTTOM OF THEM AND START APPLYING A SLIGHT CIRCULAR MOTION. FEEL IN BETWEEN THE RIBS ALSO. AT ABOUT THE SECOND RIB IS WHERE THE UPPER RIGHT LOBE IS,( WITH HIM IN THIS POSITION YOU MAY FEEL UP UNDER THAT SECOND RIB) THEN STAYING NEAR THE RIBS FEEL ACROSS INTO HIS MID SECTION ABOUT 4 INCHES KIND OF DOWNWARD TOWARDS THE BELLY BOTTON. IF HE FILINCHES OR MAKES A MOVE TO PUSH YOUR HAND AWAY THERE MAY BE A SOME PAIN. THERE AGAIN GET THE ENZIMES CHECK CONSTANTLY. IN ALL OF MY ULTRASOUND THAT WHERE THEY GO AND EVERY TIME I TELL THEM THAT THEY ARE ON IT, THE TECKS. KEEP SAYING BUT YOU CAN'T FEEL IT. THE HELL YOU CAN'T WHEN THERE IS PAIN. I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU........

Last edited by anseay; 12-17-2004 at 06:36 PM.

Old 12-17-2004, 06:28 PM   #9

anseay HB User

If He's Not Doing Well On The Balcofen Then It Would Be Best, I Really Think That It's The Rebif That Was The Clincher For Me. I Stopped The Balcofen About A Month Ago And The Spastics Almost Stopped> And About 2 Months Ago I Had Stopped The Niaspan. I Had Just Started It Back Up And Had Taken 2 Pills When I Was Told To Stop It And The Lipitor They Have Cut Everything But The Rebif And All Was Fine Until I Started It. Who Knows. All Of My Doctors Knew About The Family History With Cancer. No They Don't Know For Sure But The Pain Was Not Your Average Pain. On The Way Back I Told Them About The Cycstand Where It Was At. I Was In And Out Of Radiology In 20 Minutes. That Was All And They Started With The Galbladder And Finish With The Liver. They Said, There It Is. I Could Tell By The Way The Ultrasound Felt That It's Not The Same Size Anymore It's Larger.

Last edited by anseay; 12-17-2004 at 06:33 PM.

Old 12-18-2004, 07:58 AM   #10

Dessell HB User

Hi Anseay,
I put him on his side and felt around with some pressure,he just laughed,lol,thanks for the info,I will be sure to use it often.I always heard cancer does'nt hurt and goes unnoticed until it does.Hope it is'nt cancer,I know we have alot that runs in our family which makes the risk higher.I called the pharmcy,I tell ya they know alot about drugs,they told me the dose my boy takes of the Baclafen is small,but to still get him checked often.You take it easy and let us know what happens.
Dessell

Old 12-18-2004, 09:54 AM   #11

anseay HB User

Maybe I feel it because I'm in tune with my body, Sounds funny but the instant that I hurt in a pitular area I can tell if something is wrong. you know like your regular aches and pains. I just knew that I had to get the ball rolling on this one and being single if something has to be done it will be before the holidays, my insurance deductable for the years has been met, and until January 1, 2005 it's free. So let's go boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm glad about your son. The pain i had started at about 3:00 the ultrsound was done 2 1/2 hours latter and at around 9:00 that night it stopped. It came back off and on but not as bad. Lot's of luck with your son. Hang in there, Happy HO! HO! HO!
Here I go again............ ....................

Last edited by anseay; 12-18-2004 at 09:56 AM.

Old 12-20-2004, 02:35 PM   #12

anseay HB User

Well hear goes guy's the 3-2003 cycst that had not changed by 9-2003 has decided to take off. 1mm to 2.7cm. I've got 4 more injections in the refrig. and until the doctors can get off of there can and tell me exactlly what the hell is going on with the liver then I'm going to suspend the Rebif treatment for the ms. I talked to the neuro today and the appointment is schedualed for January 6, 2005 and I told her I didn't see the need to continue until I know for a fact. Chemo might be able to take care of both.
...................................... .....................................

Last edited by anseay; 12-20-2004 at 02:36 PM.

Old 12-21-2004, 12:47 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

mikosha HB User

Hi, Anseay!
I hope everything is not that bad with your liver.I can't imagine radiologists not being able to see the difference between cyst and tumor.So I hope it is a cyst.How high are your enzimes? I mean how many times higher than norm?Ones mine were 2.5 times higher when I started a medication for migrane(+Avonex).Neuro said "you are gonna need liver transplant if you start meds(prescribed by other doctors) with Avonex.I know some doctors consider enzimes elevation alarming for stopping a medication 3 times higher than norm.
Best luck to you!
MIKOSHA

Old 12-30-2004, 09:10 AM   #14

anseay HB User

Well I've gotten some of the paperwork back on my liver function:
ast/sgot : (range 0-37) 69, ten days later down to 23
alt/sgpt : (range0-40 ) 162, ten days later down to 58
gamma gt (ggt) : (range 7-51) 120, ten days later 104
Yes then doctor said it was a cyst, but what is the difference in between a hapathic cyst and endometerosis. Both are suppose to be hemoraging cyst,right. The type three endometerosis that I had 7 surgeries and a hysterectomy( at 21 for) for they now treat as cancer. I just told the doctor not to come back at me in 6-9 months and say that it's a tumor now. More blood work up will be done on January 7, then at that point if the (ggt) doesn't come down then, I know there is a problem with the rebif. I stopped all of the meds. that interfear with the liver but that one. In stead of stopping the treatment of rebif I did get one more refill, that way it will cover me until I see this new neuro. in town who see's alot of ms patience. I've got alot of questions that need answering.
I wonder if I go on chemo for the ms will I loose my hair? Oh well I've got this really great skin and body lotion that has gold glitter in it!

Last edited by anseay; 12-30-2004 at 09:21 AM.

Old 01-14-2005, 10:10 PM   #15

anseay HB User

up-date you guy's
Well the liver functions didn't come down on the gamma, tell were still elivated to where I had to stop the rebif treatment all together ,1-5-05 and on 1-13-05 I had to go to the hospital and get an injection of dacadron (sp) and started predisnone, and Hydro-codine for the pain. Man that night my liver new it was there. I stayed with friends that night so that if I had to go back to hospital thier was someone there to help me. It's funny some people can come off of their treatments and not have any problems but in that short time it was like I had never been on a treatment. They are talking about putting me on copaxon soon. We'll see where that takes me, It's was kind of scarry having to fight for words, spelling, having people finish and find the words that I needed to communicate with, the dizzies and balance things were funny though, I really felt like I was on a cheap drunk. One day at a time though. the cluster thing though that I was thinking about doesn't apply to my county where I reside, out of 260,000 there maybe only 25 people here that have ms. I did talk to my gp today, he makes me feel special, just to make sure I new who to call since the liver cyst didn't start to grow until the rebif treatment, he said for me to call him instead of the neuro, I call the neuro, to ask the same question and they didn't bother to call back. I also learned that when my neuro. is on call at the hospital , that means he's at home and the ER calls him. HA! HA!

Last edited by anseay; 01-14-2005 at 10:11 PM.

Closed Thread