It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2004, 02:21 AM   #1
(male)

mletters HB User
Scared about MS

Hi,

Past 15 months seem like decades. I've been suffering from the following symptoms:

Dizziness (not true vertigo though), Tinnitus, TMJ (stiff jaw), neck/back of head pain, headaches, chronic insomnia (to start with couldn't drop off - now ok but wake up frequently and early morning at same time 4/5am), cold hands feet, when lying in bed get twitches, anxiety (my mind cant switch off day or night constantly worried about MS - brain feels like it's in a Post traumatic stress state ever since the first symptom (dizziness), depression, whenever I lie down I get pins and needles in hands, also numbness upon waking in hands, floaters in my eyes.

All tests so far normal (thyroid, blood workup, brain MRI). After seeing approx 15 docs so far in the last 15 months I've had the following dx, viral lab - depression - stress? & more recently M.E/CFS). Since I had the MRI (with and without contrast) and came back normal, neuro said he wasn't concerned about MS ad it was very unlikely (all balance/heel toe walking test etc. normal).

Should I ask for a lumbar puncture and MRI of the spine? I am a very over anxious persion and don't think I'll rest until I've had them done.

Does any of these symptoms sound like MS?

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

Old 12-27-2004, 06:32 AM   #2
(female)

camillec HB User
Re: Scared about MS

mike if you are not happy with your diagnoses get a second opinion. however all those symptoms dont sound like my experience with ms. although everyones symptoms are different. if you mri is clear with and without contrast thats great. did you have lymes and other labs like ana, lupus R.A check all those options out first. only because to me it does not sound like ms i am not a doctor and i can be wrong because i can only go with what my experiences are. dont go through a lumbar puncture unless you really have to. good luck to you, camille

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2004, 07:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

hi mike, our storys a re very alike apart from im female. my symptoms started 15 months ago too. after i had my little boy. I really worry about ms too!!! im so scared of it being found on my mri. i have lots of tingling in loads of different place3s,twitches,migraines( have got better) hands cramp up too, love april x

Old 12-27-2004, 08:09 AM   #4
(male)

mletters HB User

Thanks for your swift replies April & Cammile. I've had all blood tests for Lupus, Lyme (came back Neg but UK test not very reliable i'm told). The Strange thing is, a Rheumotologist says he suspects Lyme and is going to start treating with Immuglobin injections and Doxycilling (Antibiotics) in the New Year. Why would he do this if there was no indication of Lyme (ie no Bulls rash, neg.Lyme test etc).

Is it worth having an MRI of the Spine done just to be sure about MS. If I had a neg. Brain & Spine MRI would this be 100% (or pretty near it!?!)

Take Care,

Mike.

Old 12-27-2004, 08:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

hi mike, i want to be reffered to rhumi but doctor wont now, i think it could be fibro but she dont believe. who tests you for lymes? i live in uk?

Old 12-28-2004, 07:29 AM   #6
(male)

mletters HB User

Hi Apriltones,

I had to pay privately to see a Rheumotologist. I think any doctor/hospital can do a standard test for Lyme but i'm told it's not that reliable.

If you suspect Fibro, get a Doctor who knows what to look for with pressure points, and getting a Doctor who believes you and is prepared to sit and listen makes the WORLD of difference.

Take care & good luck.

Mike.
x

Old 12-28-2004, 03:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

hi mike, thanks. are you a uk er likeme? x

Old 12-29-2004, 02:02 AM   #8
(male)

mletters HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by apriltones
hi mike, thanks. are you a uk er likeme? x
Hi Apriltones,

Yes, I am in the UK.
x

Old 12-29-2004, 02:12 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

i thought it was mainly american lymes. never heard untill now. i think if i ask doctors they will think im mad??? they never mentioned it? i have asked for loads of tests/ april x

Old 12-29-2004, 02:31 PM   #10

Ron HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mletters
Thanks for your swift replies April & Cammile. I've had all blood tests for Lupus, Lyme (came back Neg but UK test not very reliable i'm told). The Strange thing is, a Rheumotologist says he suspects Lyme and is going to start treating with Immuglobin injections and Doxycilling (Antibiotics) in the New Year. Why would he do this if there was no indication of Lyme (ie no Bulls rash, neg.Lyme test etc).

Is it worth having an MRI of the Spine done just to be sure about MS. If I had a neg. Brain & Spine MRI would this be 100% (or pretty near it!?!)

Take Care,

Mike.
HI Mike,

Your doctor is either very compassionate or has seen this before and wished he had acted sooner. The risks of NOT treating early FAR OUTWEIGH the risks of trying the therapy he recommends. If it works, you will call him a God!

If it doesn't work, you have Lost Nothing because MS is not curable.
The immune globulin may be because he suspects Juillian Barre Syndrome.
They should all be so good.

The real shame would be if he told you to go home because he could not find anything to treat.

Ron

Old 12-29-2004, 02:37 PM   #11

Ron HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mletters
Hi Apriltones,

I had to pay privately to see a Rheumotologist. I think any doctor/hospital can do a standard test for Lyme but i'm told it's not that reliable.

If you suspect Fibro, get a Doctor who knows what to look for with pressure points, and getting a Doctor who believes you and is prepared to sit and listen makes the WORLD of difference.

Take care & good luck.

Mike.
x
Hi Mike,

I'll bet that when you recover with his treatment, your HMO will be so embarrassed that they will reimburse you for your cost of seeing the Rheumatologist and the meds as well. Keep your bills and...

Good luck..

Ron

Closed Thread