It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2004, 08:22 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

2cutekids HB User
I have a ? please

I'm from a different board (Autism) but my sister is having some problems with numbness and tingling in her arm/face/hand/lips also says it is hard to swallow some times.

She went to the hospital yesterday and ever test came back normal. The want her to get an MRI soon, her CAT came back "normal"

She has Lupus and is afraid that this could be Fribro or maybe MS. My mom has MS and so did her bro so it is big in my family.

She doesnt' have any pain tho, and that is why she thinks it "isn't" fibro.

So has anyone had anything like this... could it just be a pinced nerve?

They said it is NOT an infection or bacterial!!

Thanks

Old 12-27-2004, 01:13 PM   #2
(female)

amgoingtoheal HB User
Re: I have a ? please

Has she been tested for MS? Many of the symptoms of FM are the same in MS from what I've known. I'm not a doctor, but definitely have her take a multi vitamin, potassium, magnesium and calcium. It sounds like her muscles need a little extra help, and those supplements help with muscle twitching, aches, etc. It could be the holiday stress too. Also, tell her to cut out ALL sugar, because a lot of us on here have found a connection between higher symptoms when we are eating a lot of sugar (especially with holidays and stress!) Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2004, 03:35 AM   #3
(female)

GammaBx3 HB User

I do not have MS, but do have rheumatoid arthritis (RA).

Has your sister spoken to her rheumatologist about the numbness/tingling in her face and hands? I, too, get that at times (where it can last for weeks only to subside for awhile), and have been told that it can be caused by inflammation and/or some meds.

My rheumatologist is not that concerned about it (and I trust her whole-heartedly) and I even brought up MS with her during one visit and she states that that would be a very rare chance (less than 1%), but if it continues, a visit to a neurologist might be recommended. My swallowing has not been affected.

I find that stress can aggrevate the situation, to be honest. I would highly recommend that your sister contact her rheumatologist to speak with him/her about this.

GammaB

Old 12-28-2004, 05:57 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

2cutekids HB User

At first before the dx of Lupus, they thought it was RA, but it was Lupus. I think she may goto a rheumatologist, but that is a good idea. She says it does come and go. She is in the process now of talking to her dr about it. She has a MRI sceduled for Thursday!

Old 12-28-2004, 12:43 PM   #5
(female)

canadaann HB User
Myasthenia Gravis and MS, possible? What are these symptoms?

HI everyone!

I am new to this. I have had MG for many years, seem to be in remission (no more meds), just had my 4 th child and have stange symptoms. Started having double vision, had it for 2 weeks, then it went away slowly. When I sleep and wake up, I notice that my arms and legs have sometimes fallen asleep. During the day I have numbness and stiffness in the legs, no pain though. I am beginning to wonder if my symptoms are MS. But my main question is, is it possible for someone to have MG AND MS? Are these symptoms typical of MS?

Anne
[ removed ], Thanks!

Last edited by moderator2; 12-28-2004 at 01:31 PM. Reason: on-board sharing only - no emails - please read the rules

Old 12-28-2004, 04:05 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

kirafaye HB User

it may also be chiari or syringomyelia which is what I have and that mirrors alot of MS symptoms and a mian complaint is the swallowing difficulty....lucky with this one there is a easy surgical option....have a look, it will onl show on an MRI. Good luck to your sister hope its somethign easy

Closed Thread