It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2004, 02:41 PM   #1
(female)

momisrose HB User
Question Please Help with Mother

Hi, I am new to this Health Board and am asking for advise as to how to proceed with helping my Mother. She was diagnosed with M.S. about 25 years ago when she was fairly young ( about 25 ) she moved to Florida 3 years ago ( which I understand the cliamate there may not be good for her) but has recently become very disorientated, forgetful and confused about things, she also has been ( what I consider) "hording" things of no importance, such as reciepts for things, brochures, newspaper articles, etc... On a few occasions she has gone somewhere only to forget why or where she was going or forgotten where she is. This worries my husband and I - as I am sure you can understand - especially since she is in another state.
Are these type of symptoms typical of M.S. ? I do not think she is always truthful with her M.D. about these memory lapses or confussion. She also has been very "snippy" ( for lack of a better word ) over nothing - this is not her usual manner. I am afraid something eles may be effecting her and she is blaming it on M.S.
Any help would really be appreciated.
Thank-You

Old 12-29-2004, 02:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User
Re: Please Help with Mother

MS can effect short term memory. A lot of what you're describing could be caused from an emotional response to memory loss: iritability & hording. Maybe you can call her MD? Or suggest a therapist? Is there a close friend that could take her shopping? I have a good MSer friend who gets very disorientated while shopping. I don't know if I've been helpful....Best wishes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2004, 06:01 PM   #3

Dessell HB User

Hi momisrose,
I know how you must feel.I am sure your mom wants to be as independant as she can,I do the same things,go into the store and just stand there thinking what did I come here for,so I always make a list now,and then sometimes I forget I have a list,lol.Your mom has had ms for 25 years ,maybe you can tell her MD what you are seeing.We made a haed decision last summer and placed my mom in a nursing home,from diabetes,her doc said after having it for so long it has started to eat her brain and now she is blind.I think your mom will be ok as long as she is'nt in danger of getting hurt,guess there is no easy answer to a hard situation.Wish you well,Dessell

Old 12-29-2004, 07:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User

One thing that my neurologist always tells me is that if I start to develop a new symptom, not to just automatically assume that it is from my MS. He always checks me for any other possible diseases if I complain of something new. In other words, just because I have MS, that doesn't mean that MS is causing every single problem that I develop. I am telling you this because while your mom's symptoms could definitely be from her MS, it also sounds a lot like Alzheimer's. I have an aunt who has Alzheimer's and she has had all of those things happen to her. (but I don't know how old your mom is.) If she were my mom, I would encourage her to go back and see her neurologist. If you are worried that your mom will not remember what she needs to tell her doctor, then she can make a list of everything she needs to tell him. Or you can call the office and ask to speak with him before she arrives, and ask him to call you back after he examines her. It might also be helpful for her to bring a friend with her. There are medicines that he can give her to help with her forgetfullness. In fact, I am 24 years old and definitely do not have alzheimers, but my neurologist is talking about putting me on Aricept to help with my short term memory loss, even though it is a drug that is primarily used for Alzheimers.

Closed Thread