It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2005, 07:41 AM   #1
(female)

angie81 HB User
Has anyone had the Prednisone treatment?

Hi
I was diagonsed in November with MS and Started out with ON (still isn't anybetter) So anyways last Tuesday i woke up and coulnt feel my left hand and So I called the Doctor and He told me to come in to the hospital to be out in steroids. I was really scary I had 16 step treatment. I was just wondering if anyone else has had to do this.. And why may attacks came so close together and they are not putting me on any Ms injection or treatments. They did every test possible and said it was not Lymes, HIV, Syphillis or anything else and That I do definitley have MS (4 lesions on the brain and none in the clervical spine.) So I just dont understand why they have not out me on Ms treatments. How long did it take for any of your doctor to put you on treatment. please let me know. and anyone who had steriods let me know how they made you feel.
Thank you
Angie

Old 01-04-2005, 08:04 AM   #2
(male)

Royal HB User
Re: Has anyone had the Prednisone treatment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie81
Hi
I was diagonsed in November with MS and Started out with ON (still isn't anybetter) So anyways last Tuesday i woke up and coulnt feel my left hand and So I called the Doctor and He told me to come in to the hospital to be out in steroids. I was really scary I had 16 step treatment. I was just wondering if anyone else has had to do this.. And why may attacks came so close together and they are not putting me on any Ms injection or treatments. They did every test possible and said it was not Lymes, HIV, Syphillis or anything else and That I do definitley have MS (4 lesions on the brain and none in the clervical spine.) So I just dont understand why they have not out me on Ms treatments. How long did it take for any of your doctor to put you on treatment. please let me know. and anyone who had steriods let me know how they made you feel.
Thank you
Angie
Hi Angie,
With me, it was probably close to six months after steroid treatment. Steroids helped me get over an MS attack quicker. Your doctors probably will put you on one of the standard MS treatments. After all, you were just diagnosed in November.
- Roy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2005, 02:55 PM   #3
(female)

cdzhaha HB User

Howdy Angie!

One thing to watch for with pred ... it helps a lot (not magic but it speeds you thru the arc of the exacerbation, in my experience) and makes you feel like superperson for a few days (also, in my experience) ... but you have to make sure to drink enough water, not push yourself too much and, importantly, follow your doctor's instructions in weaning off the high dose. My doc and I had a miscommunication once and I stopped cold turkey and BOY DOES THAT HURT. every joint ... and it lasted for days. here's a haha (if you're in the mood for one) ... on my doc's advice i wound up taking one of my dog's prednisone tabs to smooth things until the pharmacy opened and he could call in a new prescription for me. oy! it had to hurt that bad for me to bug my angelic neuro at 430 a.m.

good luck! christie

Old 01-04-2005, 02:58 PM   #4
(female)

cdzhaha HB User

one more thing ... prednisone treats MS symptoms. the MS meds (i'm on rebif) work to reduce the number of lesions that form, but don't treat the symptoms themselves. so it's not weird to be doing pred while you & doc decide what to do about a long-term MS medication.

Old 01-05-2005, 03:48 PM   #5
(female)

angie81 HB User

Thank you Christie
I know this medicine makes me feel like I am hyped up on anything and everything. It is just really weird feeling like my heart wants to jump out of my chest and it really hurts. Oh no i know when I need the next dose cause body really starts to hurt. How long did it take you to get over your episode? So i dont really need to be put on MS meds with the predisone?? Thanks alot for you advice it really helps.
Angie

Old 01-05-2005, 05:38 PM   #6
(female)

cdzhaha HB User

well, the pred & the MS meds are 2 diff things ... i've had to do a "spot" pred short course (4 days on pills) while using rebif.

are you comfortable with the care you're receiving from your doc? i know that when i switched to a neuro specializing in MS i got better care just because he understands more MS subtleties than my internist does. is there a university hospital nearby that might have an MS center?

regarding how long until you feel better ... it's almost impossible to tell because each MS lesion is different. i like to think of it as, the exacerbation is going to take as long as it plans to take, just like an irritating relative who doesn't know when to leave. and the pred is what you do to hustle them out the door just a little faster ... you don't know how long it's going to take to get them into their car and driving away, but you know with the pred it'll be sooner than without it.

regarding frequency of attacks ... in my case, the episodes most often have come when i had some other event that set off my immune system, like an infection. say i have an urinary tract infection (too much info, i know, but that's what has been the worst for me) ... my immune system goes into overdrive, and maybe a lesion goes active in my brain ... then in the spine ... two "attacks," two sets of symptoms, and maybe one takes longer to manifest so it seems like it's separate, but both are set off by the same infection/trigger.

now, this is NOT scientific or anything, and it's crazy oversimplified (if this was how easy MS was they'd have it cured by now) but i've had MS diagnosed since 1992 and in hindsight had symptoms since 1987, and that's my pattern. keep in mind i have a relatively mild case (knock wood).

and as soon as you stop the pred the heart-racing amped stuff will pass. like i said, just make sure to remember to drink enough water. pred makes me lose the craving, while at the same time stripping water out of my bod. i wound up with aching lower back in a big way! also, you can expect to gain a bit of weight right after the course ends, but that goes away. you just get puffy.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:51 PM   #7
(female)

thnkpos HB User

cdz, if u dont mind me asking, u said knock on wood u have a mild case (im knocking too for a mild case), do u have spinal and brain lesions? many?........ what was u'r form of ms? rrms, did u have many relapses? any lasting effects? thanks
tammy

Closed Thread