It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2005, 03:30 PM   #1
(female)

thnkpos HB User
Lightbulb herbal remedies........ anyone?

hi, would like some input on if anyone takes herbals or not and if so what ones.......and do u think they help or hurt? and what type of ms thanks
tammy

Old 01-07-2005, 06:58 AM   #2
Veteran

baddoey HB User
Re: herbal remedies........ anyone?

I've heard that ginger and tumeric are good to add to your diet for their anti-inflamatory attributes - I've also heard some good things about chinese medicine - but have not researched this fully. .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 09:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User

I am currently under the care of a Chinese herbalist and acupuncture practicioner. There is no one herb that they would recommend for everyone with MS. Recommendations of herbal remedies involve an extensive work up of symptoms and other health information. I am having good luck so far. I have been undergoing acupuncture since May 2004 and herbal therapy since Oct 2004. Overall increase in energy, sleeping better, less nystagmus. I've been able to undertake a regular exercise program over the past 2 months. I've been able to decrease my intake of caffine, nicotine and alcohol without "missing" it. Both treatments increased my MS symptoms at first, but not to a flare-up level, and it was only temporary.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:06 PM   #4
(female)

thnkpos HB User

sunshine, i am going to a herbalist, and i know its all individual, are taking any of the ms drugs also?

Old 01-10-2005, 10:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User

No, I am not currently on any of the conventional MS treatments. I will take oral steroids for symptoms if I need to. I am really trying to avoid the MS drugs for a variety of reasons. One being that I do not feel as if the clinical research is thorough enough. I am reluctant to take that sort of chance...
The other being that I am also a Type I diabetic and some of the treatments are not safe for diabetics.

One of the hebal formulas I take is Shen Ling Bai Zhu Pian, this is suppose to be for better and sustained energy throughout the day. I do think it helps. What sort of herbs are you taking, tammy?

Old 01-10-2005, 08:29 PM   #6
(female)

thnkpos HB User

sunshine, how long dx with ms? do u have alot of relaspes......... i am not taking any herbal yet, i have an appt with the herbalist, but since my 1st neuro appt is mid feb, i will see her after i go to the neuro, but i think on my own im gonna start the evening prime rose, ginger and tumeric (maybe i have no luck in getting any early appointment ie. neuro or herbalist everyone is booked..... lol but i do have yoga and chiropractor all this week, so i was lucking to see someone or do something........... did u have an mri recently? what kind of symptoms do u have? what form of ms do u have?
thanks tammy

Old 01-11-2005, 10:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User

I am almost 31 and I was diagnosed 8 years ago. I was diagnosed with relapsing/remitting MS. My initial symptoms were ON in my left eye with left side facial numbness that included the left side of tongue. I also had weakness in my left leg (buckling) and numbness in both legs from the tips of my toes up to my crotch. This was a major flare-up. I was sick for several months. I was hospitalized for a few days and given IV steroids. I recieved an MS Probable diagnosis at this time because nothing showed up on my MRI.

About 1.5 years later I had an acute attack of vertigo. This was very scary! I did a combo treatment of IV and oral steroids. At this time, MRI showed lesions. MS Definite Dx.

I have flare-ups (nothing as major as the first 2) about once a year. Maybe more like once every 9 months. I only take oral steroids. I had problems using the IV steroids and also, I am a Type I Diabetic so treatments are more complicated for me.

It was important for me to try many other things before trying the very aggressive treatments that conventional medicine is offering MS patients. I do not say I will never elect to use them, just not at this time.

I have not had an MRI scan for over 3 years. My insurance is crappy and I would have to pay $900 for the scan and I can not afford it. An MRI scan for MS patients is helpful for diagnosis, but esoteric after that. This is MY opinion, however, and I would never discourage someone from getting the tests. But its hard to evaluate the progression of the disease with MRI because lesions appear and disappear.

The current symptoms I have are nystagmus (eye jerks) that come and go and fatigue. These both have gotten better with acupuncture and herbal treatments.

Keep me posted! What sort of problems are you having? Do you have an MS Dx?

Best-

Old 01-11-2005, 11:22 AM   #8
(female)

thnkpos HB User

hi, wow u'r doing teriffic, in 1998 i had vertigo and r eye blurring on and off and headaches, mri showed lesions, but the neuro said i didnt have any motor skill problems so repeat mri in 8 months, that mri showed same, some left some appeared but to go on with my life cause there were still no motor signs,................ so 03 my shoulder starts to hurt and my last 3fingers on the r hand goes numb for some time but went away, dr said pinched nerve, but couldnt find one, i said i have spots on my brain do u think they could be acting up, he ignored me........... so eveything cleared up........ then again 04 almost a yr later, my whole right hand goes numb for about 5 wks, then and now i got/have lhermittes sign................. dr. said okey lets do a mri of the spine, they found lesions suggested i have a brain one and wow i had many lesions............ so now im waiting 2 1/2 months to see a neuro....... wait is killing me............. i left with the dx of ms and the lhermittes sign until i started to read and look up ms, now i have every sign........lol (but not really funny) i really havent had any major flareups, (knock on wood), but my mri shows alot of lesions altho im not a radiologist it looks like alot and that makes me nervous, and i keep thinking its not the amount its how u'r affected (i guess) i wont be calm till i see the neuro.............. im 34, how do u not think about it????? thank you for u'r responses

Old 01-11-2005, 02:05 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User

I think it basically impossible to not think about it. When something happens, I think to myself, What Fresh Hell is This?? I have been lucky and hope to continue to be so. I am trying to adopt the attitude of not "fighting" MS per se but rather try to intergrate it and invite it to stay as long as it "behaves." This hard, sometimes I get depressed and wonder what my life will be like in 5 or 10 or 20 years.

Are you on any treatments for your symptoms? If you don't mind my asking, are you male or female. I am female and fit the usual MS profile: female, white and of Northern European descent.

Best-

Old 01-11-2005, 07:51 PM   #10
(female)

thnkpos HB User

hi, im female........... white........... married two children, and u? do u ever think negative?...... thats funny when something happens, now what........ lol are u lasting minutes? hours? days? .......... im not getting/taking anything for my symptoms......... like i said the more i worry, it seems the more i have, which im sure is all in my head................... do u still work?.......... it is very depressing....... do/did u talk to someone (therapy) when u were dx?
tammy

Old 01-12-2005, 08:23 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User

I don't have any children and I think that I may decide not to have any based on my medical history.

I went through a MAJOR depressive episode 3 years ago. It was like I couldn't "feel" anything except depair. I was passively suicidal. After about 10 months of this, (crying jags, not able to concentrate, insomnia, weight loss, job screw-ups) I went into therapy and onto an anti-depressant. Therapy helped a lot. I was able to talk to someone for the first time unedited. My thoughts were too frightening for family and friends to hear. They didn't want to hear about my fear that I might be so incapacitated at some point that I wouldn't be able to wipe my own butt!!

I'd have to say that I'm better now, I try not to dwell on that stuff. It MIGHT happen. I still work full time. I'm in a long term relationship and I'm also a writer.

I do think stress has a lot to do with aggravated MS symptoms. I try to take care of myself by sleeping enough, excerciing when I can and eat right.

Have you explored therapy?

Old 01-12-2005, 01:22 PM   #12
(female)

thnkpos HB User

hi, so u did go thru a rough time.......... im going to talk to someone, for the fact i have had anxiety since forever............ and i need to learn how to control my thoughts............ so i know therapy will help at this point, im a dweller always been............ got to get that out of me and i want to learn/train myself in a positive thought.......... which i know is hard........ u seem kinda like me............. thanks so much for chatting with me....... u seem like a nice person, hopefully there getting closer to a stabalizer for ms............. just like hi blood pressure only we'll get the poke and they get the pill......lol ......... keep in touch...... how often do u see the herablist? im gonna try yoga and chiropractor.........basically for relaxation....... do u have spinal lesions? (not sure if i asked or not)............
tammy

Old 01-12-2005, 02:18 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User

I have thinking about getting into yoga too. I think that will help. You're right, we are similar, I'm a "dweller" too! Therapy has helped me with that, and helped me channel it into more constructive avenues like my writing!

I haven't had a full spinal mri, only head and cervical spine. Lesions are in the brain.

I am seeing the herbalist once a month and the acupuncturist every one to two weeks. When I can afford it!

Old 01-12-2005, 07:03 PM   #14
(female)

thnkpos HB User

is the acupuncture expensive........ i havent called around on that yet.......
thanx

Old 01-13-2005, 06:44 AM   #15
Veteran

baddoey HB User

my acupuncture costs $70 a go - expensive. . but some health insurance plans have a provision that offers a discount for some acupuncturists - also there are flex spending plans. .

Closed Thread