It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2005, 07:24 PM   #1
(female)

BlessedMamaw HB User
Newbie Here

Hi, this is my first post and I am a newbie to the board. I recently had an EMG which is negative. On Thursday I had an MRI which showed "Differential includes demyelinating processes such as multiple sclerosis, Lyme disease, and small vessel ischemic disease." I have had problems with muscle spams, soreness, shooting pains, cramps, restless legs in my legs for years. I have also had episodes of muscle twitches all over, pins and needles in my feet and in my hands, can't tolerate increases in temperature,vertigo, and bouts with blurred vision, etc.
My doctor is referring me to a neurologist and is wanting to get me in some time this coming week.
Needless to say I am a little nervous about this. Can any of you give me some idea of what to expect when I see the neurologist? It would really help me to feel at ease if I had some idea of what to expect as all of this is brand new to me. Thanks ever so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2005, 09:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User
Re: Newbie Here

the doc will ask you a series of questions about your symptoms (beginning of symptoms, duration etc) then he or she will give you a series of diagnostic tests such as having you walk, checking your balance and strength, your reflexes etc then may order additonal tests from blood work, another MRI and a spinal tap.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2005, 11:34 AM   #3
Veteran

baddoey HB User

Just to add onto sunshine - some of these tests can take a few months to get done. . the waiting is really frustrating. An MS dx is a clinical one - that means there is no definate test to determine it. .sort of like putting together a puzzle. Just stick with it - best to be your own best advocate at these times, be pushy and determined to get these things done as soon as possible. Another test they might have you do is an evoked potentials test - painless but time consuming. You get all these electrodes attached to you and have to stare at this thing, then they do a audio test and then mild electric shock like thing. . .

take care. .

Old 01-17-2005, 07:37 PM   #4
(female)

BlessedMamaw HB User

Thank you both for your responce to my questions. I really appreciate it. I guess I have a lot to learn if MS is what I have. It will be a relief to finally have some answers as to what has been going on with me.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:30 AM   #5
(female)

ohjambo HB User

Give you doc a complete history of all your symptoms, even if you don't think they are related. I was diagnosed Oct. 13, 04 with MS. I have been going to my family doctor, feeling tired, bowel problems and problems with my left leg. I wish you the best and would like to talk.

Old 01-18-2005, 09:12 PM   #6
(female)

BlessedMamaw HB User

Hello Ohjambo,
Thanks for responding to my post. The soonest they could get me into a neurologist is February 4, but I don't think that is too bad for a waiting time. I will just be glad to finally be getting some answers to my health problems. I am sure we have all felt that way though.
What were your MS symptoms and what treatment are you getting?

Old 01-19-2005, 12:47 PM   #7

llcoolbeans1 HB User

I see a neurologist on February 2nd, so I guess we are both doing the waiting game. I just wish my family doctor would order the MRI instead of waiting until I go to the neurologist. Then I will have to wait another week or two to get in for the MRI. I broke my shoulder over the holidays and it took over a week before they could do the MRI to check for a torn rotator cuff. Then another whole week to get the results back. I am tired of the waiting game!

Old 01-19-2005, 09:49 PM   #8
(female)

BlessedMamaw HB User

I think the only reason the MRI was ordered was because of the pins and needls and numbness I had been having for several days. If my MRI had not been abnormal I think they would have thought I was just complaining again, think they thought I was a hypochondriac.
Good luck on your visit.

Closed Thread