It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2005, 07:15 PM   #1
(female)

Filipinone HB User
Pregancy and MS

I've been diagnosed with benign MS last June..(the title of Benign being misleading and should be more labeled as Infancy MS) I've been watching the messages boards regarding Tysabri (the new MS drug approved in November) and am wondering has any of the neurologists said/advised anybody about the risks of getting pregnant and being on tysabri? I am currently not on any MS medication as my symptoms are not too intense, and with the winter weather here, my symptoms are more of an inconvenience than anything, which is why I've made the descision to wait until spring/summer to attempt the MS medications with my neurologist. Me and my husband have been talking about getting pregnant here in the near future and I'm curious if anyone has been given advise on this?

Quick background, First daughter had leukemia...My fear is having a second child being diagnosed with something...

Old 01-20-2005, 06:15 AM   #2
Veteran

baddoey HB User
Re: Pregancy and MS

I was told my neuro that getting preg while on tysabri is NOT a good thing. I am in my early thirties and currently not in a relationship, but would like to have a child at some time within the next 5 years. From what I got from my neuro is that the medication clears out pretty quickly and you can begin trying to get preg about a month after stopping treatment. You might want to call Biogen regarding tysabri - tysabri has a site with a number on it - call them, they were VERY helpful when I had questions. my symptoms are also very mild at this time and I would like to try and keep them that way for as long as possible.

take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2005, 11:21 AM   #3

Dessell HB User

Hi,,
I would not take any meds if you plan on getting pregnant.Oddly enough I felt so much better PG than not being pregnant.I am so sorry to hear about your first child,,I can understand completely how scared you are having another.My first child was born with Cerebral Palsy and was so afraid to have another child.But,5 years later I had a beautiful Healthy baby.You just never know and its a chance we all take,healthy or not.Wish you well,Dessell

Old 01-20-2005, 02:56 PM   #4
(female)

Heddi HB User

Do people with MS have children with medical issues more often than not? I had two healthy girls and in between a son who was born with birth defects (mainly heart related). I was told that they do not but now I wonder.

Closed Thread