It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2005, 09:43 AM   #1

llcoolbeans1 HB User
Question heat and MS...is it true for everyone?

I read somewhere that when you have MS your body can't handle hot baths or showers. Is this true of everyone? The hotter the better for me! My symptoms don't seem any worse when I get out of a scalding shower. I have never been able to handle the heat in the summer though, but that goes back to childhood. I get really sick to my stomach when I am in the sun too long.

Also, is it true that MSers should avoid chocolate? I just read that on another site that some doctor has found a correlation between the 2. I love chocolate and that would bum me out.

Old 01-22-2005, 09:47 AM   #2
(female)

namaah HB User
Re: heat and MS...is it true for everyone?

I can't handle heat at all. Our thermostat is set at 64 and I'm in a thin long sleeved t-shirt. If I'm active then I'm in a short sleeved t-shirt. Haven't noticed any problems with me and chocolate, not a huge chocolate eater except lately - been trying to put back on the weight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2005, 12:18 PM   #3
Veteran

baddoey HB User

I have no problem with the heat - I workout with no problems, hot showers/bath etc. . that said. heat intolerance is a VERY common symptom of MS - but MS is different with everyone..and it can always change. As far as the chocolate thing - I have never heard that. They have done loads and loads of studies on MS and diet - and there hasn't much concensus on anything - A good diet is the best - so what is good for a person without MS is good for a person with it.

Old 01-22-2005, 12:38 PM   #4

Dessell HB User

Hello,
Hot baths or showers make me feel very dizzy to the point of wanting tto throw up,showers make my skin hurt.Summer heat makes me very fatiqued.But we are all different and I like to complain,lol.Wish you all well")Dessell

Old 01-22-2005, 05:01 PM   #5
(male)

dwgraham HB User

I have not noticed heat prtobelms after showers. Although I do shower at a lower temperature, My weakness is the electric balnket. Which I used to love. Cold room, hot covers. It appears to really increase my tremors in the morning. In the Texas summer I find I need to stay in the pool if outside. If not I get really serve fatigue. Thank god for Amantadine. Never have the desire to thow up. But we are all different, I guess.

Doug

Old 01-23-2005, 10:54 AM   #6
(female)

NannyRose6 HB User

I can stand the heat better than cold
I can tolerate hot baths makes me feel better but can't tolerate electric blanket or hot room to sleep in MS is different with everyone I guess
Good luck to all with MS and God Bless
Rose

Old 01-27-2005, 10:46 AM   #7

Enas HB User

Heat is a relief for me. If water is not scolding in the shower I can't stand there for more than a minute! I totally freeze when it is cold. My toes get all stiff and my hands are not functional. I guess it is different from one person to another

Old 01-27-2005, 10:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User

i can't not go near saunas or hot tubs OR hot showers....
i am also very intolerant to cold. i live in MN... hot, humid summers and bitterly cold winters and i'm thinking of relocating....

Old 01-27-2005, 04:03 PM   #9
(male)

gaulty HB User

when im training my ms symtoms go mad really its only my fingers and my leg (knee) but really my hand im into mountain biking and cant get to the brake on time,not good ,anyway anyone got any ideas on anything thats helped them with this? oh and this is my first post thanks for any feedback had ms for about 2 years

Last edited by gaulty; 01-27-2005 at 04:04 PM.

Old 02-05-2005, 03:14 PM   #10
(female)

lonewolf2567 HB User

I don't know if I have ms or not, but I do know that I love hot baths and showers. Although I have problems where I feel it is always too hot in my house. I recently had a baby so in her room it is warm but in my room I have the temp off and sometimes the window open and I live in Pennsylvania where it's been pretty cold.
I don't know if this helps at all. I hope so.

Lisa

Old 02-05-2005, 06:54 PM   #11
(female)

thnkpos HB User

welcome gaulty, are u taking anything for u'r ms???
lonewolf, im in pa also, i read u'r other post, i agree u should report back to the dr, best of luck to u........
tammy

Last edited by thnkpos; 02-05-2005 at 07:02 PM.

Old 02-06-2005, 01:13 AM   #12
(male)

topjars HB User

Hot weather or radiant heat affects me more than a hot shower.
Im a cold frog at the best of times ( dont carry a lot of weight) but more recently my wife has remarked how hot I am in bed...( no pun intended) My skin is hot to touch I mean

Havent heard about the chocholate one....

Last edited by topjars; 02-06-2005 at 01:14 AM.

Old 02-06-2005, 08:24 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Arraicha HB User

I need heat. I'm terribly cold all the time so I have the heat turned waaay up. I also take extremely hot showers.

I think it just depends on the person.

About the chocolate thing, I've never heard of that either.

Old 02-07-2005, 10:44 PM   #14
(female)

stargirl13 HB User

My mom has a very hard time in the heat. She is fine when she is cold, but in summer, she has a very hard time and walking is harder for her. She has had MS for 16 years now and I've noticed she's become more susceptible to the heat over the last few years. She can't take baths any more really because she gets so weak because of them that she can't get out of the tub when she's done. She says that the heat gives her headaches and I've noticed she is more crabby when it is hot outside. ( I say that with love) She has noticed that her susceptibility to heat has grown more over the years, although some of that might just be because she is getting older. I was wondering about this topic as well because I read some posts on here that the cold is worse for them. Is it different for each person? Does it matter how old you are?

Old 02-08-2005, 03:36 PM   #15
(male)

gaulty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thnkpos
welcome gaulty, are u taking anything for u'r ms???
lonewolf, im in pa also, i read u'r other post, i agree u should report back to the dr, best of luck to u........
tammy
interferion its workin well only been on it for 6 months where are you?

Closed Thread