It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2005, 12:01 PM   #1
(male)

sugaragus HB User
Possible MS? what do you think

Hello: I've posted my symptoms on other boards and am not sure as to what I have. All started back in Feb 2004. Bad Neuro symptoms, confusion, balance, etc for 3 months really bad. Then A little better since then. Been told it may be virus, then MS, then Stroke, Then neuromuscular, STILL don't know. The lastweek or so my Neuro symptoms have greatly improved, but now my rights leg(Knee to Foot) is really heavy, numb and my right arm is slightly numb. I'm very confused, concern. I almost want an MS dx because I am scared of it being ALS. What do you think. Can these symptoms be MS. I had an initial MRI showed 2 spots, 2nd MRI showed none. 1 spinal tap showed nothing ( thats when MS was ruled out) 2 Lymes tests-Neg. I just hope its not ALS. The weak leg scares me. BTW, I'm a 35 yr old male.THANK YOU

Old 01-22-2005, 12:13 PM   #2
Veteran

baddoey HB User
Re: Possible MS? what do you think

have you talked to an MS spec? I had a few spots on the brain and a neg spinal - but got a dx of MS. I would suggest just start hammering away the the doctors - make sure you get attention - sometimes that is the hardest thing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2005, 02:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

i know its scary but ask the people on the als board as they will know more? its up to you. aprilx

Old 01-22-2005, 04:48 PM   #4

SuzU HB User

ALS is progressive and doesn't get better. Do you have visible twitches? (Fasciculations...) This would be a common symptom. The fasciculations look almost like something crawling under the skin. You'd know if you had them.
My husband has been tested for this a few times. An EMG is the test that shows ALS.
My guess is that you don't have ALS, since you said your symptoms had improved., and I don't think dizziness, balance problems or confusion are symptoms of ALS. Weakness in your limbs and difficulty swallowing as well as the fasciculations are the most common symptoms. ALS is a very rare disease, and I think you are also a little young for it. (It does strike young people, but the odds are in your favor.)
MS is still possible, though your symptoms could be caused by other stuff as well.
I hope this puts your mind at ease a bit.

Last edited by SuzU; 01-22-2005 at 04:57 PM.

Old 01-23-2005, 09:32 AM   #5
(female)

Naomidec HB User

Sugaragus, the symptoms you describe are all the the symptoms my husband has. He was initially diagnosed with a stroke and then they realized it was MS. He's been on Rebif for about 3 years now and doing very well. Most symptoms have cleared up, but they still come and go on occassion. Keep pushing for a diagnosis and if it's MS, there are several treatment options available. My understanding of the CRAB drugs are the sooner you start, the better because they slow the progression of the disease. There is also a new treatment (TYSABRI) that appears very promising. Again, I don't know what you have as I'm just a lay person, but the symptoms you describe are exactly the same as my husband's. Hope this helps and best of luck to you.

Old 01-23-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
(male)

sugaragus HB User

Thanks for the replies. I go in for an EMG next week. Does that test reveal MS at all or is that only for ALS? I guess that's a big day for me.

Old 01-23-2005, 06:10 PM   #7

SuzU HB User

My understanding is that it will only rule out ALS or some other nerve/muscle damage (like if you had a herniated disc that caused compression on the nerve...) A negative EMG means you don't have ALS, but doesn't necessarily rule out MS.
If you are still able to lift the same amount of weight or don't notice any obvious change in strength or shrinkage of muscle mass or tone-chances are your EMG will be normal, and you can be confident that at least it isn't ALS.

Last edited by SuzU; 01-23-2005 at 06:11 PM.

Old 01-24-2005, 11:42 AM   #8
(male)

sugaragus HB User

Thank You. That gives me a lot of relief. At least the test can rule that out, and I hope it does. As far as muscle twitches, I only have minor, infrequent ones. I do have heaviness in my neck and middle of the back muscles. Maybe that can be MS also. As you all know, whatever this is, it really is hard to fully enjoy life like I used to. But I am learning to adapt to it. Good luck to all

Closed Thread