It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2005, 12:32 PM   #1
(female)

ristyLynn HB User
Unhappy do you have breathing issues

Has anyone gone through a flair up and felt like they couldnt breathe? My neck and throat and mouth are tingly and numb and I feel like someones sitting on my chest. I spent all day in the er and they said my o2 sat was at a 100 and my chest x ray was clear and told me they think its my disease. This is all new to me Ive never had issues feeling like I couldnt breathe and its causing a lot of anxiety. My BP is also really high right now from this flair up. I am going to call the neurologist tomorrow and make an appointment to see him. I just wondered if anyone else had experianced this and if so how long did this last for you and is there anything they can do to relieve the feeling of not being able to breath even tho I am. I hope this made sense.
Kristy

Old 01-23-2005, 02:31 PM   #2
(female)

thnkpos HB User
Re: do you have breathing issues

hi kristy, sorry to hear u'r not feeling well............ didnt have what u mentioned as an ms symptom, but i did have similar symptoms with anxiety along with shakey, did they rule out an anxiety attack????? you could be having an anxiety attack, which feels the same way........ not a dr, but would make sense, was u'r pressure up at the er? pulse?............ keep us posted about u'r neuro appt..........
take care
tammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2005, 11:14 PM   #3
(female)

ristyLynn HB User

No im sure its my disease I was in the ER all day yesterday and they told me then that it was the disease but its getting worse my mouth is tingly my chest neck and back are tight and tingly and my throat is numb. I have a lot of neuroapathy im just not used to this. I only had this once before and it was 11 years ago at the onset of my disease and they thought I had GBS-Miller fisher syndrome and thought I was going to end up on a ventillator. I ended up spending 6 months at the cleveland clinic accute rehabilitation unit because I couldnt sense anything from my neck down.

Old 01-24-2005, 07:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User

i frequently have trouble breathing at night. i feel as if i have something sitting on my chest. sometimes i don't have it at all but i'll usually get it when i'm over tired, had too much to eat or drink or another MS symptom is present, particularly nystagmus in my eyes...

it's frustrating to me that some people and doctors don't seem to understand that there are nerves everywhere in our bodies and at some point or another, we MSers may have symptoms wherever those nerves are...

there is a large nerve (forgot the name) that regulates breathing. i've suspected that mine is effected by my MS. i think it's always best to rule other things out first before assuming that...

Last edited by sunshine149; 01-24-2005 at 07:34 AM.

Old 01-24-2005, 07:55 AM   #5

SuzU HB User

This is just a thought, and only because I've been checking into other diseases that mimic MS and found out about sarcoidosis. (The neuro version of the disease is identical to MS) but anyway-it also effects the lungs.

I'm not sure where you are with your diagnosis, but apparently the brain lesions can look similar (or you can have none at all,) and sarcoidosis will effect your breathing.

Though I would also tend to agree with you that MS could effect the breathing as well-especially when you are having the MS hug-when I get chest pain, I have difficulty breathing, and I can relate to the numb sensation you are describing in your throat. Either way it is unfortunate to feel crummy and I hope you will get answers soon.

I haven't been dx'ed yet-so these are my two cents for what they are worth.

Old 01-24-2005, 05:23 PM   #6

Dessell HB User

Hi,
I also have a hard time breathing at bedtime,I have to lay my head a certain way or I feel like I am being choked.I also have problems swallowing ,could'nt tell to look at me,(chub) lol,,I have'nt seen my neuro in a while so I need to ask him if it is MS related.Anxiety will shallow your breathing,not saying that is what you have,but my sis has terrible anxiety attacks and that happens.I know I and we all are stressed ms or not,but I would'nt think stress or anxiety would being doing that at bedtime.Wish you well,Dessell

Old 01-25-2005, 01:44 PM   #7
(female)

indianangela HB User

I don't know yet if I have MS (doctor appt on Friday) but I have some breathing problems as well. It feels like the back of my throat is numb and like I can't get a deep breath. It's weird because it comes and goes but it's usually worse when I first wake up in the morning. It really freaks me out because I have numb spots all over my back.

Old 01-27-2005, 02:18 PM   #8
(female)

shaddow HB Usershaddow HB Usershaddow HB User

Hi hope you feel better soon, I get chest pain but thought it was from choking so much in night I was scared. I have not bwwn DX yet seeing neuro this sunday.take care shaddow.

Old 01-27-2005, 02:20 PM   #9
(female)

Exclamation Re: do you have breathing issues

=shaddow]Hi hope you feel better soon, I get chest pain but thought it was from choking so much in night I was scared. I have not bwwn DX yet seeing neuro this sunday.take care shaddow.

Old 02-22-2005, 04:27 AM   #10
(female)

Filipinone HB User

ristyLynn how are you feeling now...I'm now just getting over the flu and I noticed that I had a lot of trouble breathing. My husband who also got the flu didn't have any breathing problems. That's when I remember a posting on the MS Boards about breathing problems. My thought that is that with my MS, the flu may have intensified my MS. I currently am not taking any medication for my MS as my symptoms are mainly a nuisance and not really impairing. I am curious as to what your neurologist may have said.

Old 02-26-2005, 08:23 AM   #11
(female)

UpbeatinAlberta HB User

I too have difficulty swallowing. The first time it happened to me it lasted for about 2 weeks. I thought I had developed a new 'stupid' habit! The more I worried about it the worse it got. It happens periodically. However, beginning in December it started again and hasn't let up. Went to the neuro and wouldn't you know it - it wasn't bothering me at all while I was there. He examined my throat and said there was nothing wrong with me. It's always worse at night - isn't that just the way it always is! I prop my head on my pillow so my throat is 'open' and fall asleep believing I won't choke to death in my sleep. HTH

Old 03-01-2005, 07:55 AM   #12
(female)

Hi i have problems with choking, - if i eat cearels,-- or soup and roll together they make me choke. And i have problems at night choking. It offten feels that i have something in my throat, but i don't. I have been to E.N T. and had camera - all was fine. I have not been dx- having mri on 16-march. cold water is best thing i find, small sips ---this has been going on for months nothing for a day or two then almost every night and during day sudden ( very sudden attacks? ) no its not a habbit . Take care

Closed Thread