It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2005, 06:32 AM   #1
(female)

indianangela HB User
Does anyone else have stiff, clumsy hands?

Hi! I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone else experiences clumsiness in their hands and fingers. It's like I can't get them to do what I want them to sometimes!

I don't know yet if I have MS...I saw a neurologist about 4 years ago that thought so but my MRI came back normal and when he wanted to do a spinal, I headed for the hills! Now my symptoms have gotten worse and I have an appointment to see a neurologist on Friday.

My symptoms include:
weakness on my right side
numb places on my right leg, the right side of my face and across my back
sharp, stabbing pains that sometimes burn
dizzy spells
stiffness

Thanks!

Angi

Old 01-25-2005, 08:17 AM   #2

SuzU HB User
Re: Does anyone else have stiff, clumsy hands?

Wow it always amazes me how aggressive some docs are vs others (mine...)

Yes, I have the clumsy hands, have difficulty typing and feeding finger foods as well as trouble playing my guitar and buttoning my coat.

My doctor did an MRI of the brain and when it came out negative he told me I was having anxiety and didn't want to pursue a spinal tap.

I did get a script for one finally today though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 08:54 AM   #3
(female)

indianangela HB User

I'm amazed! I have the trouble typing too and you should have seen me yesterday trying to button my son's coat!

My doctor really wanted to do the spinal tap though. He bugged me about it at every appointment. I was such a coward at the time...I made the appointment for it and then cancelled it and never went back. I know a spinal tap is in my future though and I am prepared for it. I guess that's the difference between being 28 with symptoms that didn't bother me (more annoying than anything) and being 32 and it starting to affect my life. Of course now I've been through 2 epidurals (3 if you count the one that slipped out of place!) and I know that it will be okay.

I'm glad you finally got your script. Good luck! I look forward to hearing about your results.

Old 01-25-2005, 09:39 AM   #4
Veteran

baddoey HB User

I had no problems with the spinal at all. . drink water the day before and after - have some coffee/tea, but also drink water, bc caffeine can dehydrate you. . and just lie down after for a good 24+ hours. . relax and breath .. I had the spinal on a friday and was at a party on saturday night!

some people do get the headache, but again, you can get through that. . worst comes to worst and you go in and get a blood patch. .

Old 01-25-2005, 12:12 PM   #5
(male)

sugaragus HB User

Hello: I had a spinal last summer. I was so nervous until they did it. At one point I actually said, "that was it". It really isn't bad at all. I have had a lot of worse things done to me. If I were you I would do it as soon as you can. If there is something wrong with you, it is better to find out sooner than later. Good luck with everything.

* My problems came afterwards. So make sure you take it real easy the next couple of days. Just drink a lot of water and Lay down a lot. No lifting kids, boxes etc. This way you can avoid the headaches. Take care!!

Old 01-25-2005, 12:34 PM   #6
(female)

indianangela HB User
Question Re: Does anyone else have stiff, clumsy hands?

I can handle drinking plenty of water with no problem. It's the laying on my back for 24 hours and resting that I'll have problems with. I am a stay-at-home mom with a 17 month old little girl and a 3 year old little boy! I'll either have to have it done on a Friday and have my husband take the day off of work or try to get someone to stay with me.

How long do they keep you at the hospital afterwards?

Closed Thread