It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2005, 11:09 AM   #1
(female)

indianangela HB User
Question Saw neuo yesterday...testing ahead

Hi!

I had my saw my neurologist yesterday. She asked a ton of questions, both of me and my husband, and did some of the craziest little tests. Like pricking me all over with a safety pin (it was scary to see how varied it felt in different areas...I could barely feel it in some places on my right side), having me walk on my tip toes and then on the my heels (which I could do), walking heel to toe in a straight line (which I couldn't), and stand with my feet together and then closing my eyes (I immediately started swaying and she had to grab onto me to keep me from falling). At one point I asked her if there was a hidden camera in the room! She also did the normal strength tests like having me squeeze her fingers with both hands at the same time, pushing and pulling on my arms and legs while I pushed or pulled in the opposite direction. She also tested my reflexes and my ability to feel cold. I noticed that they were limited on my right side. Is this normal for MS?

She said that if she had to make a diagnosis that day, she would say MS but, of course, it isn't that easy. So...tests. And lots of them. I have to be at the hospital on Monday, February 21st at 7:30 a.m. to start and it will be an all day affair. This is what they will be doing:

BSER
VER
SSER (both arms and legs)
MRI - Angiogram
MRI - Brain
MRI - Brain w/Gadolinium
MRI - Spinal Cord - Survey (Complete)

I don't know what half of this means. I know that the MRI's will be done both with and without contrast. Has anyone else had these tests run? What are they all for? Any explanations would be very much appreciated!

Hugs,
Angi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2005, 03:31 PM   #2
(female)

blueslvr53 HB User
Re: Saw neuo yesterday...testing ahead

HI ANGI...
SOUNDS LIKE YOUR APPT WENT WELL AND YOUR NEURO WAS ON TOP OF THINGS. THATS GOOD. JUST REMEMBER EVERYTHING TAKES TIME. I HAVE HAD THE MRIS AND SPINAL TAP. PIECE OF CAKE. THE MRIS WILL SHOW IF YOU HAVE ANY LESIONS ON YOUR BRAIN AND SPINAL CORD. I AM NOT SURE WHAT YOUR OTHER TESTS ARE THOUGH. I AM NOW WAITING FOR RESULTS OF EMGS WHICH ARE NERVE TESTS TO SEE IF THERE IS ANY NERVE DAMAGE. HAVE YOU HAD ANYMORE CHEST DISCOMFORT? IT SEEMS I HAVE A DIFFERENT SYMPTOM EVERYDAY RIGHT NOW I AM HAVING A BURNING SENSATION LIKE A BAD SUNBURN. IT IS ALL SO SCARY. I HOPE THINGS GO WELL FOR YOU, HANG IN THERE (THATS ALL WE CAN DO)AND KEEP US POSTED...
GOD BLESS,
DEB

Old 01-30-2005, 09:26 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Arraicha HB User
Re: Saw neuo yesterday...testing ahead

BSER
Basically, they stick electrodes to your head (don't worry, it doesn't hurt at all!) and make you hear sounds. The test mesures how fast your brain reacts to the sound.
[url]http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/BrainStemAuditoryEvokedResponse.html[/url]

VER
This is the same principle as the BSER, but instead of hearing sounds, you stare at a chessboard on TV. I've done this one, it's quite amusing.
[url]http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/VisuallyEvokedResponse.html[/url]

SSER (both arms and legs)
Same thing, but they touch you instead of making you hear or see things. I think this one will be useful as you denoted having a bit of trouble with reflexes and cold.

MRI - Angiogram
MRI - Brain
MRI - Brain w/Gadolinium
MRI - Spinal Cord - Survey (Complete)

The different MRIs are just for different parts of your nervous system. They take awhile and are quite boring, but they're the main element (other than symptoms) for diagnosing MS. And afterwards you can look at pictures of your brain (I love getting MRIs just for that). The contrasts on the MRIs are done by giving you an injection, then repeating the MRI. It makes any anormalies in your nervous system clearer. A neurologist can also use the contrasts to tell if any of your lesions have been recently active (are giving you symptoms).

I hope that could help you a little! Good luck with tests and let us know how it goes!

Closed Thread