It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 04:52 PM   #1

SuzU HB User
Unhappy Spinal tap-now what?

I had my spinal tap today. The fluid was clear. It was worse than I thought only in that I'd never heard you have to push the fluid out by bearing down. I have such little strength right now, this was a real challenge for me, and I ended up hyperventilating from all the pushing and breathing, and it took much longer than I'd thought.
The radiologist said this was because he made a small opening to prevent complications like leakage of csf and headache-of this I am glad.
Otherwise, I'd rate it about the same as having an endometrial biopsy-actually less painful than that-but worse than a colonoscopy (since you get to go to sleep for that! The first injection (the anesthetic) was more uncomfortable than the second-but I don't have a problem with needles. Have had lots of teeth problems and TONS of needles in my mouth.
So-what's next? Does anyone know how long it takes to get results? I know the fact that the fluid was clear is one good sign, but I also know it can still show MS-or not. In the meantime, I'm still in limbo with negative brain MRI, questionable spine MRI-and anxious to get on with living in whatever condition I'm in. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks for being here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2005, 10:51 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Arraicha HB User
Re: Spinal tap-now what?

Well, I've never heard of a spinal tap being anything but clear, although I suppose if you have certain other liquids in it, the colour could change.

The results come in pretty fast... I don't remember when I got mine, but I think it was within the same day.

It's strange that they made you "push". Mine wasn't like that at all. I just lay there on my side and waited until it was over. I remember hating the experience because I was terrified and embarassed, but I didn't have to do anything else but lay there. My test was also done by my neurologist, not by a radiologist.

I agree that the anesthetic is worse than the actually puncture, but that's just because the skin is frozen for the puncture. Mine hurt SO bad after the anesthetic stopped working. It took me a few days before I could move properly.

Anyway, you should get your results soon. If your symptoms seem to originate in your spine, then chances are that they will be positive. Mine were.

What's next depends on your doctor. If you haven't had an evoked potiential yet, you'll probably get one soon (those are great! the best test I've had so far!).

Good luck and I hope things work out for the best for you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2005, 10:47 AM   #3

SuzU HB User

Thanks, Arraicha!
Sometimes I think my symptoms originate in the spine, but I also have tingling in my face and swallowing difficulties as well as being off-balance sometimes plus I have tremors in my jaw, arms and occasionally legs. My spinal symptoms are weakness, pain, and bladder problems. (I'm sure I'm missing a bunch, but these are the biggies.)
My doctor thinks that I'm having too many symptoms all at once for it to actually be MS. He thinks the small lesion (they're all calling it a syrinx) could be causing some, but not all symptoms, and the rest are just from anxiety, lol. Hey-sometimes I think I'd rather be out of my mind than given a dx of ms-only because of it's unpredictability and my need to always be in control, lol.
At any rate, I'm going in two weeks for the somatosensory evoked potentials.
I'm so blessed by everyone on this board and my prayers are with you all.

Old 02-03-2005, 03:54 PM   #4
(female)

thnkpos HB User

and the rest are just from anxiety, lol
because of it's unpredictability and my need to always be in control, lol.

suz, im right with ya on that one.............. lol i do have ms waiting for neuro appt best of luck to you.............
tammy

Old 02-04-2005, 02:27 PM   #5
(female)

ohjambo HB User

Two years ago, my spinal fluid was clear. I was diagnosed 10/13/04. But two years ago I had two leisons on my brain. They thought I had a stroke. You got to keep on your family doc. I feel if I don't keep up with the lastest therapys no doctor will offer them. So hang in there.

Closed Thread