It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 04:28 PM   #1
(female)

VECTRA HB User
Question What Type Of Mattress To Get?

Hi All,i Just Bought This Queensize Namebrand Mattress 10/04 And I Have To Use A Comforter Under My Sheet To Sleep! I Also Feel The Rows Of Coils.my Husband Thinks I'm Imagine This.i'm In My Wheelchair Alot,does This Have Anything To Do With What I Feel.my Arm Goes Numb On Either Side If I Lay To Watch Tv To Long.i Don't Know What To Do Now,maybe I Am Going Nuts!!i Also Use The Comforter Because Of The Deep Cushions That Hurt.the Old Mattress Was So Old That It Would Sink In The Middle.thanks For All Your Help

Old 02-02-2005, 05:07 PM   #2

SuzU HB User
Re: What Type Of Mattress To Get?

I had difficulty sleeping because I used to feel the springs in my hips when I would roll side-to-side. I also had chronic low back/neck pain that prevented me from sleeping night after night.
Someone recommended the Tempurpedic mattress to us, and though it was costly ($1500) we tried it because it has a 90 day trial and we have never looked back.
Now I can't sleep without some form of memory foam mattress. I even bought a twin size overlay to travel with-it isn't as good as my mattress at home but helps me sleep better in the hotel than I would otherwise. There are knock-off versions that are sold at BJ's-overlays and so forth, even one that is sold on QVC if you would like to try and save money. I can't vouch for them, though.
I will say, we had to buy the mattress and the boxspring, because our old boxspring still sagged under the weight of the tempurpedic mattress, so the sagging still caused my back to ache. The box spring was another $200.

Because of my sleep problems, it was worth every penny. I haven't had trouble sleeping since. Plus I liked that you could try it for the 90 days and return it if it didn't work out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2005, 10:02 PM   #3
(female)

BlessedMamaw HB User

I have not been diagnosed with MS yet, have my first appointment with a neurologist on 4th. We got the sleep number bed, where you select the sleep number for you. I have had problems sleeping in our bed for years and it finally reached the point that I had not slept with my husband for over 6 months due to not being able to sleep in the bed. After getting the sleep number bed I have slept every night with him. I cannot tell you just how great of a difference it has made for me and I now have a husband who is very glad to have his wife in bed with him each night. Give it a try, you can try it for 30 nights and if not satisfied return it. It really made a difference for me.
Shellia

Old 02-03-2005, 06:48 AM   #4
(male)

mjd2jac HB User

I was diagnosed today....SUCKS!....anyway I have the QVC style topper and I really love it . My sleep is somewhat disturbed but I"VE had that a long time and I get my best sleep with the foam...highly recommended

Old 02-03-2005, 01:52 PM   #5
(female)

Fancybud HB User

DX-6/24/2004

I have a sleep # bed
sleepcomfort.com

Old 02-03-2005, 02:43 PM   #6
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

Hi,
I don't have MS, but I have RSD which is painful and causes sleep disturbance, so a good bed is important. We bought a $1000 mattress a year ago and then we were so disappointed after it arrived and we tried it for a while. It was way too firm, but we couldn't tell that by just trying it in the store for a few minutes. So I called the store a few weeks later and they said that as long as we hadn't damaged it and there were no stains that they would take it back in exchange for another one. We had put a mattress protector on it the minute we received it, so we were fine. We picked out a $1500 mattress (Simmons, I think) that was less firm and we love it! It has different levels of coil support throughout the mattress for ideal support of shoulders, back, hips and feet. And the next to best thing is that we are to never flip it!

You don't have anything to lose by calling the merchant to see if they'll let you exchange it. Give them the true story about your health situation and they may be more willing to work with you.

Good luck!
Julie

Last edited by Jewel2; 02-03-2005 at 02:44 PM.

Old 02-03-2005, 02:48 PM   #7
(female)

VECTRA HB User

Thanks for responding to my question.I was talking to my husband about the sleep # bed.Is there a website to look at,we looked at the Tempur pedic on the website.I JUST WANT TO GET A GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP without feeling lumps and feeling like i'm being swallowed up!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much folks!! I LOVE THIS BOARD BECAUSE WHATEVER THE PROBLEM IS FOLKS DON'T MIND HELPING.Having MS is hard enough.

Old 02-04-2005, 09:28 PM   #8
(female)

cactus46 HB User

For four months from the first part of October until a week ago I would wake up in so much pain after sleeping 4-5 hours that I couldn't move. I had excrutiating pain in my lower back and all my joints. I couldn't sit up to get out of bed. I would roll out and hit the floor on my knees. Then slowly I would try to raise myself up to my feet. Once I was on my feet and could walk around I would start to feel better. Within an hour I had no pain for the rest of the day unless I sat too long. I have a very busy life and job so I rarely sit down. I tried different things thinking they would help, including a form fitting bed top foam. Finally, my husband moved our recliner into our bedroom. I could sleep good and had a lot less pain in the morning. Also, the design of the recliner made it easy to get on my feet in the morning.

Currently, these particular symtoms have decreased significantly and I am able to sleep in my bed again. But I keep the recliner near by for those nights when I need it. I know of several people who sleep in recliners because that's the only way they get relief from their pain.

Closed Thread