It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2005, 11:12 AM   #1
(male)

tkdted HB User
Exercise

Hi,
When I went to see my Doctor after a few years with ms and I asked my Doctor if I exercised would I get back my strength, he said no!.
has anyone actualy improved their strength and muscle tone by exercising.
Best wishes to all

Old 02-03-2005, 11:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User
Re: Exercise

people don't seem to agree on this point but i believe exercise to be very beneficial if for no other reason it increases your energy levels. moderate exercise it best. i rise a stationary bike 3-5 times per week for 20-30 minutes. i really try to pay attention to my body and if i'm too tired or tired in the middle of exercising, i take a break.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2005, 01:49 PM   #3
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

Hi,
My daughter has found that gentle stretching and exercises, such as Pilates, helps tone and strengthen her muscles. And like Sunshine said, it helps her energy level. But she can't overdo it. She must know her limits and not cross the line, or she ends up fatigued and weak.

It's important to not overheat while exercising, or that could set you back, too.

Honestly, the stretching and exercises have helped my daughter a lot - both physically and mentally. She used to feel robbed of doing ordinary things such as exercising. But now she has found out that she can do things if she modifies them and watches her limits.

Best wishes,
Julie

Old 02-03-2005, 02:54 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Arraicha HB User

Exercise won't "fix" anything, but it does help your blood circulate, give you energy and keep your functioning muscles from becoming weak. But as the two previous posters said, it's equally important not to overdo it and injure yourself.

Old 02-03-2005, 06:33 PM   #5
(female)

Twila1960 HB User

I haven't been diagnosised with MS, but I have a question about exercise. I exercise regularly. Twice a day. When I do strengthening exercises I'm sore for a very long time. Others that exercise with me doesn't get so sore. I know we are all made different, but do any of you that exercise seem to be sorer than those who don't have MS?

Twila

Old 02-03-2005, 07:27 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Arraicha HB User

Hmm, well, I get tired faster that others and it takes much longer for my body to assimilate movements, but I don't think I'm perticularily more sore than normal after exercising.

Everyone's body is built differently and the same moves won't make the same people sore. A way to know if your soreness is normal or not would be to compare with how sore you were in the past. If all your life you've never been sore and suddenly you are, then it's not normal. But if you remember pulling muscles frequently as a kid or teenager, then your soreness is just part of how your body works.

Old 02-04-2005, 06:21 AM   #7
Veteran

baddoey HB User

do what you can do - this is key - listen to your body. Many MS people have issues with getting over-heated. Some studies have shown that exercise can help reduce the inflamatory process, weight-lifting in particular. My neuro also said that people that do some aerobic exercise tend to have less disability sooner. I just got dxed and my symptoms are mostly sensory, and currently I am training for a marathon in a few months. I don't have issues with extra sore-ness (do you stretch after? are you drinking enough water?) or with my endurance yet - I want to enjoy my body and challenge myself for as long as I can. . . I'm not done yet. there is a woman named Wendy Booker (do a search for her) who is a spokesperson for MS and she talks about the importance of exercise, also Montel Williams says that his physical fitness has helped reduce the effect that MS had on his body -

Old 02-08-2005, 04:09 PM   #8
(male)

gaulty HB User

not me you may just be lifting to much, im an expert at that lol whaight helps me fell good ,but every1 is diferent with ms you know,good luck to ya

Closed Thread