It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2005, 01:41 PM   #1
(male)

arai HB User
how long does mild ms stay "mild"

I was diagnosed with ms 2 years ago after just some mild sensory stuff (left side a little numb), a bit of fatigue, and since then nothing, other than feeling off once a week after my avonex injection.

My question is this, how long did your ms stay mild? I'm putting large chunks of my salary towards retirement funds and towards paying off my house. my feeling is that I'm doing a damn good job of saving for the future. My wife however wants even more, like if we get decent tax returns that we should put it towards the house. this is where our opinions differ.

I think that I want to use that money to enjoy my life now, I mean lets be real, I have ms, and while everything is good now I want to make sure I can enjoy life. I mean, ms catches up with everyone eventually doesnt it? I guess thats my main question.

I feel like she doesnt understand my desire to enjoy my life now and dont know how to tell her that I'm not being morbid, I just want to insure that I get to accomplish some things in my life. its not like I'm not putting towards my future either, I put over $11,000 this year into my retirement funds, and I'm paying off more than required on our mortgage. Did I mention I'm only 25? anyway just venting a bit I guess. I'm sure theres some kind of balance, I feel I can put towards my future without ingorning the present, and I am worried that ms is the kind of disease where I wont be able to fully enjoy my future.

does anyone know if mild ms is still the type of thing that will catch up to me in my future? am I justified in trying to enjoy the present, even if it means paying off my house in 22 years instead of 20?

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2005, 06:22 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Arraicha HB User
Re: how long does mild ms stay "mild"

Enjoying the present is important for everyone, not just people with MS . However, so it ensuring that you have a future. Getting rid of debt and saving for your retirement is also important. The key is to find the right balance.

Anyway, there's no way of knowing how long your MS will stay mild. You might stay mild forever just like you might wake up paralysed tomorrow. Just try to live as normal of a life as you can and deal with disease-related problems as they come.

I'm in a similar situation as you. I'm 20 years old, was diagnosed 4 years ago and have relatively mild MS. Other than the fact that I give myself injections every second day, spend tons of time in the hospital and sleep a lot, I'm your average 20 year old, taking advantage of life yet making sure I don't end up in trouble in the future .

Old 02-06-2005, 11:42 PM   #3
(female)

MustangFilly HB User

I sure understand you wanting to enjoy life NOW, Arai, yet agree - there has to be some kind of balance. Perhaps your wife is as afraid of being left alone to shoulder the responsibility of the debt by herself, as you are of missing out on some of the finer things life has to offer?

My husband couldn't handle the extra work-load he sometimes had to shoulder when my MS flared up, and hated the disease, eventually transferring that hatred to me, so he left. Now I've got the debt, the work, and the illness, but guess what - I'm still finding the time and the money to enjoy life NOW, too. (Actually, it's better now!)

My suggestion would be to discuss all these things frankly with her - your disease and how you both feel about it, the potential for future decline - or not, your need to feel like part of society and enjoy some of the things your peers are doing, and her need to feel safe should anything happen to you. Talk together with your doctors if that will help, and sit down with a family counsellor, too - outside guidance can often help get to the root of a problem that you're both too close to see, and help you find solutions.

This is a nearly impossible disease to predict, and I think that's one of the hardest things about it to handle. I've been in a wheelchair and housebound, and now I'm back working, raising my kids, and training and competing with my horses. Hopefully, with the help of modern science and good medicine, things will stay this way, but I'm sure not gonna bring down my "good times" with "what ifs".

Unfortunately though, I'm doing it all alone (save for my beautiful girls) - every man I've met has "run for the hills" when I've told him that I have MS, so I think you have something really great going for you - a loving partner at your side! Don't take that for granted....

MustangFilly

Old 02-07-2005, 09:19 AM   #4
(female)

Dawn36 HB User

I feel uniquely qualified to respond to your question about mild MS. Although there's no way to know for sure, I hope to offer you some hope on this.

I had my first MS symptoms (all sensory...humming, buzzing,vibrating sensations) 20 years ago, in 1985, when i was 28. I was diagnosed 5 years later in 1990. In all this time, i've had only 5 exacerbations, mostly all sensory, tho during this last one i have experienced some weakness in affected body parts.

As far as I know, many people with MS can look forward to a normal life span, and i do believe there are those who are minimally affected by it, my own case being one example.

If you hear otherwise from your doctor, my advice would be to find a more positive doctor. And also take responsibility for being as fully informed on the newest drugs and research out there. I take the most optimistic and post them on my bulletin board for continued inspiration.

Closed Thread