It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2005, 10:59 AM   #1
(female)

crystal22 HB User
viral infections and MS

About a year before my dx of MS, I had a severe viral inner ear infection with vertigo and nausea, it was shortly after this that I had what I think was my first symptom of MS. I have read that there could be a link between viral infections and developing MS, I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Old 02-08-2005, 01:37 PM   #2
(female)

VECTRA HB User
Re: viral infections and MS

HI CRYSTAL,ABOUT 2YEARS B4 I WAS DIAGNOSED I COULD NOT HEAR OUT OF THE LEFT EAR,AND THE DOCTOR HAD TO WASH IT OUT.THEN A YEAR AFTER THAT I WENT TO EMERGENCY BECUZ MY EYES WERE NOT WRKNG RIGHT,I HAD VERTIGO.THINGS SEEMED TO CALM DOWN FOR 3YRS,THEN MY FEET AND LEGS GOT NUMB,MY EYES WERE BLURRY,I WAS REAL TIRED,THEN THE DOCTOR DID AN MRI AND BAM!!!!!!!!!!!! I WAS TOLD I HAD THE OLD MS. I DIDNT KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON,I WAS CONFUSED AS A JELLY BEAN,BUT ITS ALL HISTORY NOW.I GUESS I WONT FORGET WHAT I HAD TO GO THROUGH.LIFE CHANGES,I JUST TRY TO ROLL WITH THE CHANGES.HANG IN THERE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 02:02 PM   #3
(female)

ambica HB User
Smile Re: viral infections and MS

I had viral encephalitis about a year or two before my dx with ms in 1989.I also think there is a link between a viral infection etc. and ms.

Old 02-08-2005, 03:03 PM   #4
(male)

gaulty HB User

viral infections such as? (ive ms for about 2 years and it started with eyes then arm and leg not really workin the best then went deaf in the right ear ,that got better then the other 1 went . htis was inside the 1st year ,( im fine now)

Old 02-08-2005, 03:56 PM   #5
(female)

MichelleRose HB User

I also had viral encephalitis then my symptoms started, this was in July of 2004, they said that somehow, thru the bloodwork that I had had the virus once before in the past, and now that I look back I probably had symptoms then and didn't pay attention to them since they were so severe.

Michelle

Old 02-08-2005, 05:31 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Arraicha HB User

I don't think anyone knows for sure. A theory of MS is that it's caused in part by a slow acting virus so there could be a link with the viral infections that people have had and MS.

However, I didn't have any viral infections before having my first MS symptoms.

Old 02-08-2005, 10:41 PM   #7
(female)

crystal22 HB User

The first symptom I had that I thought was related to MS was not being able to taste or feel anything on the left side of my mouth. The Dr. thought it was related to the antibiotics I was on, but I've never heard of that being a side effect (I'm a nurse, so I know a bit about these things). Has anyone else ever had symptoms that affected taste like that?

Old 02-09-2005, 05:53 AM   #8

Dessell HB User

Hi,
I had pnmonia(sp) as a baby,and Bronchial (sp.lol) as a teen.I think we'd all feel better knowing what the cause was,then maybe we could have a cure.I never had a taste prob,,but my smell sense has weakened.I have also caught every virus and cold thats going around this winter,lol,,just a cherry on top !!
Wish you well,Dessell

Closed Thread