It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2005, 04:17 PM   #1
(female)

cactus46 HB User
I never considered MS

About three weeks ago I had an experience that has turned everything upside down. I work at the customer service desk of a large grocery chain. I wear a compression glove/wrist support on each hand because my fingers and hands tingle and go completely numb to the point that they are unusable. This started to bother me about 6 months ago during the day. I also had extreme pain in the palm of my left hand. (I have worn metal wrist supports while sleeping for seven years. I do this to prevent me from curling my wrists while sleeping which makes my hands go numb. If I don't wear them at night I would have problems with my hands in the day. Sounds like carpal tunnel? Maybe.) But when I started having numbness in the day even when I wore the wrist supports at night, I went to my doctor. My other strange syptom 6 months ago was when I woke in the morning my hands were closed in a fist and I couldn't open them. My doctor thought it was coming from my neck and shoulders so I went to my chiropractor. I found some relief but no cure. I discovered the glove I wear at a Walgreens Drug Store in October. I got them because the metal wrist supports were too bulky to wear at work. They have been very helpful to control the syptoms but as soon as I take them off my hands go numb, and I do feel varying levels of tingling throughout the day when I am wearing them. Sorry, this is getting long....anyway, customers always comment on the gloves and always assume it's carpal tunnel. I always say, no, neck and shoulders. Three weeks ago, a young man around 22yrs old commented, oh yah, just like my aunt. She has MS. I was dumbfounded. I had never even considered it.

I did some investigating and listed some symptoms from the past 4 years. Here's what I came up with.
Four years ago my youngest daughter (I have 6 kids) was baptized. I have no memory of that occasion.
3 1/2 years ago I was seeing zigzag lightning flashes in my periphial vision in both eyes on and off through the day. That lasted for 6 months.
2 1/2 years ago I would experience hand jerks and lunges either when holding my hand still or when reaching for something. Often I would miss what I was reaching for and knock something over. That lasted about 10 months.
3 months ago I started waking up in the morning with an excruciating backache and pain in all my joints. I am unable to move and get out of bed without extreme pain and effort. I have to roll out on to my knees and slowly struggle to my feet. Once I'm up for about 10 minutes I'm fine. I have no problems during the day unless I sit down too long.
Last 2 months some bladder urgency and incontinence. Lovely!!

I saw my family doc yesterday. I had my blood drawn to rule out lupus and rhumatoid arthritis. Waiting to hear. I also had an open brain MRI last night (they had a cancellation). Waiting on that also. I see the neurologist March 2nd. So I'm playing the waiting game. Now I won't feel better until we put a name to it. I think it could be MS but am keeping an open mind. Oh, I have also had vision problems lately and in the past 6 years had two episodes of shoulder pain, once left and once right. I told my family doc I felt like a hypochondriac with my list of symptoms, but he was very empathetic.

One more thing. I live in Arizona! I thought it was supposed to help arthritis type illnesses.

If you made it to the end, thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2005, 08:17 AM   #2
(female)

thnkpos HB User
Re: I never considered MS

cactus, sorry to hear u'r going thru a hard time........ all u can do which isnt very easy is to wait .... an open mri picks up some lesions but a closed mri is better...dont stress over it like i do.....lol wait till u see u'r neuro, they say south weather is rare for ms........ but with ms anything is possible..... best of luck to you keep us posted, and keep u'r head up

Old 02-11-2005, 11:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User

Hey Cactus a lot of your symptoms sound exactly like mine. I'm not diagnosed with MS either just a host of other nasty little beasts. I get another symptom that I didn't see you mention is almost like electric shocks when I'm talking. Its weird and really hard to try and explain. When I'm saying a sentence I get the first part out and the last but the middle is gone. Everybody looks at me like I'm nuts when I mention this to them. I had the surgery for carpal tunnel on both my wrists but the pain I'm getting in them now is different from how the carpal tunnel was. I'm trying to get up enough nerve to ask my doc to send me back to the neurologist (the one that diagnosed some of my "stuff"). Cactus let me know what you find out please. I am interested in how things turn out for you.

Old 02-11-2005, 03:16 PM   #4
(female)

Pruedence HB User

Sounds like you have experienced what all MSers go through. Going crazy getting a dxes!
I can't say you have ms...but your symtoms do sound familar...
you have done all you can do...now you just have to wait
There is a life after ms dxes...
You will be fine...
If you need to talk...my email... [ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ]
I have been dxed with MS for 30yrs..and I am still here!
Take care, hope to hear from you...kim

Last edited by moderator2; 02-11-2005 at 06:09 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 02-12-2005, 02:50 PM   #5

Dessell HB User

Hi Cactus,
I read your post to the end,lol,Sounds like you are doing the right thing and getting checked out.Sometimes it takes us years to realize something is wrong,especially when it does'nt go away,and then to wait to get dx'd.I have days when I forget my a@@ if it was'nt attached.Like these good folks said,its not a death sentence,try to take it day by day.
Wish you well,
Dessell

Old 02-12-2005, 08:49 PM   #6
(female)

cactus46 HB User

Thanks everyone for your support. My open MRI of the brain came back normal. It did show my sinus infection that I'm being treated for, however. My blood work came back negative for rheumatoid arthritis and collagen vascular diseases. But my doc said it was strongly positive for C-Reactive Protein which is a non-specific test for inflammatory processing. Anyone ever heard of that? My doc is sending me to a rheumatologist to pin this thing down and I am going to a Neurologist on March 2nd. Tonight, my hands are so numb I can hardly type. It's been raining nonstop here in Phoenix the last two days. I am definitely worse in the wet weather. This morning was one of my worst ones for being able to get out of bed and get moving. The desert is so green this year and the wild flowers are going crazy. I feel sorry for the poor tourists who came here this week for the sun. Well goodnight! If anyone has any info on the C-reactive protein I would love to hear about it. Thanks.

Closed Thread