It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2005, 08:09 AM   #1
(male)

bobnorth HB User
Forearm cramps and MS?

Was DX'd 2003 with mild to moderate cervical stenosis, but maybe 2 years prior noticed slight left arm weakness. The dx was as a result of whiplash from auto accident. The last couple of months when moving my left forearm into a particular position, the top major muscle will cramp along with my thumb, pinky, and ring fingers. The cramp can be stopped by stretching out the arm. If moving the hand alone into a position resembling a spastic spasm, the left hand will cramp, also relieved by stretching.
I've read to my surprise that forearm cramps can be a symptom of MS. Other than symptoms associated with the cervical stenosis, which were successfully treated with oral steroids and anti-inflammatories, I can't recall any standard MS symptoms.
A question for MS sufferers: if you have forearm cramps, would you describe their exact nature of onset, please? Mine do have a trigger point. Are yours similar? Thanks.

Old 05-17-2005, 07:06 AM   #2
(male)

dwgraham HB User
Re: Forearm cramps and MS?

My first true exacerbation that resulted in the test and Dx for MS was for forearm, and leg cramps. They were only on my left side. Became very painful after multiple cramps. They would only last a couple of minutes and go away. I would sometimes have up to 10 a day. They initially thought that it was due to the lack of potassium. My cramps would put me down on the floor. I had to have the pressure of the floor to relieve the cramp.
Prior to this I was being treated with a lot of steroids due to retina inflammation. I believe that the steroids suppressed my MS exacerbations. I didn't start having real problems with MS until coming off of the steroids. However I can look back many years and see problems that were probably MS.

Hope this helped.

Doug

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread